Red sea reefer 130D Max Hood modifications

Redreefer69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an old red sea reefer max. I knew nothing about salt water I did the usual, tunze skimmer, media basket, upgraded return pump.

Didn't see alot of threads about modifying to add LEDs other then Steve's and I'm sure that's a great kit but shipping to Canada was a bit much.

I really like the hood, when I first turned it on the fans weren't working and neither were the night lights so I upgraded the power supply and changed all the blue lights and added some more.

Next I noticed huge temperature swings, my tank is in the basment so I thought it would be ok, but it would swing throughout the day with the T5s no matter where I set it.

So I needed an led kit I bought one from ebay Pro_spectrum. Simple kit, 125 watts took me 20 mins to install.

No temp swings, don't need a chiller and my corals looks 10x better. Today is only the second day I've had it running but it seems it was well worth the cost. The led kit was 120USD.

Just wanted to make a thread and show how easy it was in case someone else was thinking of undertaking something similar.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back