Red Sea Reefer 250 build

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Figured I would join the group, toss out my build, as I do enjoy reading everyones builds on here as I get ideas from others, implement them into my build, improving on my ideas with something that looks better or works better, I always say, why try and reinvent the wheel!

I only had 39 7/8" total to work with for tank width, it had to fit in a spot in the living room next to the fireplace and TV. I had other rooms I could have put it in, but I wanted a show piece, so I sucked it up and went with a smaller tank. It is replacing my daughters 32 gallon all-in-one, that will be turned into a QT tank.

Tank - Red Sea Reefer 250 (used)
Stand - Red Sea Reefer (used)
Lights - 2 x XR15 Gen 4 Pro And the Aquatic Life Black 36" Hybrid T5HO 4x39W Fixture
Skimmer - NYOS 160, also have Vertex 130 (haven't decided which to use)
Sump - Trigger Ruby Elite 36 (this takes up the entire bottom of the stand) only part I hate.
Return Pump - Ecotech M1
In Tank Flow - AI Nero 5, MP10wQD, and IceCap 3K - May sell the MP10 and IceCap and order 2nd Nero
Controller - Neptune Apex 2016 (newest model)
Doser - GHL 2.1SA 4 head (may not use)
Heater - 1000w digital heater with controller (that controller backed up with the Apex should it malfunction

I had to build something above the tank to hold all the crap because the sump is just so big lol. Still have to find a place for the ATO, I am thinking other side of the fireplace, with hidden water runs back into the sump, this is not fun to figure out. Can't use the basement, it is the father-in-law suite and fully finished bathroom, so no bueno there. So I build a shelf that is 39 7/8th x 11 x 26" deep. build a door to go over that and hang down 10 inches above the tank, to hide the amazingly bright light that my wife said was burning into her brain when trying to watch TV, that literally lasted 1 evening, the next day I was building haha. I ordered a couple items to help keep the "door" lifted up when I need to get into the cabinet.

I will post up some pics this evening, hope the build isn't too boring, I always enjoy reading and seeing what others on here are building!

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is how it was setup when I bought it from a good friend. I kept the tank, stand, rock, sand, and sump.

IMG_0018.JPG

This is the 32 I took down (technically moved it about 15 feet to get it out of the way, hold the fish and corals I got from him. (minus tangs, they are gone). Sorry the pic looks a little funny, it wasn't that bright haha.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the open space, this is why I was limited to 39 7/8th's but really 36 b/c I had to be able to turn on the fireplace. I could have moved the switch but I am just too lazy for that.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 48x24x12 acrylic tanks, a Bubble King 300, and a large sump just sitting in my storage room in my basement, I may set them up, but not 100% sure yet (i.e. I need to clear it with the boss aka wife).

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After almost 2 weeks or so of it running, I made the decision to change 2 things, well 3 including the plumbing

Skimmer - Bubble King 150 (will be here tomorrow)
Sump - Trigger Ruby Elite 36 selling this, Ordered a Trigger Triton34, a little smaller in length, but more over, I am going to run the Triton method for fun, I wanted a fuge regardless, and the fuge in the Ruby was too small. Also ordered a Kessil H380 to grow some algae.

Ordered all new plumbing, will be going with Red and Blue, will also add a few things to the plumbing, manifold, etc.

Also ordered a Carbon reactor from Avast, like the size, giving it a try.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had these laying around and figured... why not.

Wife said I have enough stuff to open a store, I took that as a compliment. She didn’t appreciate that [emoji23]

Dreading Saturday and swapping out a perfectly good sump with this new one. The LED’s May have to come off, I honestly don’t think there is enough room in the stand. I thought the sump I had was 36”... nope 30. Well I ordered the Triton34 and well, it’s 34” long lol. Praying it fits or I am hosed. I think I’ll have 1/4” to spare. The skimmer fit by 1/2”. It is almost too big.

ebcb09f329f6cfae2c91eadb33c09fd1.jpg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottW are you sure that Trigger Triton will fit in the RSR 250 cabinet? It will be a tight fit if it does. I have a Reefer 250 too and I went with a custom sump, the Synergy Reef TS-26 Triton Sump. The skimmer section is only 7.5" wide and excludes a lot of skimmer choices. My sump is a total of 26" so I have room for a skimmer waste collector in the cabinet. I'm still tempted to sell my Synergy sump and go with the one you have or the Crystal Reef Aquatics Triton TRS30. I doubt I could sell the Synergy for a decent price as I live in the boonies and something like that is near impossible to ship.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ScottW are you sure that Trigger Triton will fit in the RSR 250 cabinet? It will be a tight fit if it does. I have a Reefer 250 too and I went with a custom sump, the Synergy Reef TS-26 Triton Sump. The skimmer section is only 7.5" wide and excludes a lot of skimmer choices. My sump is a total of 26" so I have room for a skimmer waste collector in the cabinet. I'm still tempted to sell my Synergy sump and go with the one you have or the Crystal Reef Aquatics Triton TRS30. I doubt I could sell the Synergy for a decent price as I live in the boonies and something like that is near impossible to ship.

Front to back the Triton34 is 1” less it’s 15 vs trigger 30 being 16”. Both are 15” tall.

And you asked the $1,000,000 question. On a bent tape measurer it fits by 1/4” in width. I’m praying it does. I know I have to take the hinges off I tried a dry run and it was a no go haha.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the width if it's squeaking close, you could take out that foam padding on the sides of the bottom of the cabinet. Anyway we're on the edge of our seats wanting to know if the Trigger34 will fit.

I'm in a total dilemma with sumps. I could keep the one I have that gives me space for a skimmer waste collector and kalkwasser reactor; or I could sell the sump at a loss giving up the space for the reactor and collector to give me more space for a bigger skimmer and more room in the refugium section.

I'm definitely going to have a separate cabinet for my electronics and ato reservoir, and I could put the reactor and collector in there too.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the width if it's squeaking close, you could take out that foam padding on the sides of the bottom of the cabinet. Anyway we're on the edge of our seats wanting to know if the Trigger34 will fit.

I'm in a total dilemma with sumps. I could keep the one I have that gives me space for a skimmer waste collector and kalkwasser reactor; or I could sell the sump at a loss giving up the space for the reactor and collector to give me more space for a bigger skimmer and more room in the refugium section.

I'm definitely going to have a separate cabinet for my electronics and ato reservoir, and I could put the reactor and collector in there too.

WOW, was that a nightmare and nerve racking to say the least! I had to remove the doors, and take out the foam on the sides of the stand, I was able to leave the foam in the bottom obviously. There was less than a human hair from this not fitting. It was a tight squeeze all the way to the back of the stand. Once in I was able to breath and say a thank to the man upstairs for allowing that to fit, bc I felt like there was no way in heck it was going to!

I will post up a few photos, it was an all day event. I don't understand how 3 pieces of pipe take 14 hours to install. I guess 2 trips to Lowes for adapters bc I found a "better way", a trip to the LFS for some algae and sand add up quickly. I am so over setting up this tank. Plus a 3 year old daughter that wants me to stop at the most inconvenient time to dress another barbie didn't help either, but I can't say no to her, she is too cute lol.

Now Online and running
Bubble King Double Cone 150 (fits by 1.5 inches)
Manifold has been built, no clue where anything will fit to actually use it lol
Kessil H380 Algae light (WOW is this thing impressive and worth every penny)
Fuge has sand, a piece of rock, and algae (mix of a couple things)

Had to really push hard to get it in. But the feel of victory once installed was one I haven't had in a long time.
IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Random photos during install

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

I am going to do a little better job with the tube connecting to the pump, but I like some play helps eliminate vibrations, etc.
IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just placed an order for a custom sump, ATO, and 8 chamber dosing setup with Advanced Acrylic.

Going with PVC for this build, ATO, Sump, and dosing chamber will be PVC. Hopefully this turns out good, he comes with amazing reviews and a buddy of mine uses him exclusively.

Going with white PVC, clear front in fuge, skimmer, and return chamber on the sump. Using red weld and orange dividers. 9 dosing holders and 4 probe holders along with a heater holder in the fuge area.

33.5x15x17

5c34917abbf6f465c94f7d2b7592efab.jpg

12x20x20 pvc ato
20x6x18 8 part dosing container...

all 3 items are made of white pvc material with red welds.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay now I'm really confused. The blue sump in post #12 is the Trigger sump, correct? And now you're planning an order to Advanced Acrylics for another sump? The AA sump must be for another tank. B-)#

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Decided to get a different sump. I’ll move the Triton to the frag setup. I need 3 more inches for the skimmer section for the bubble king. The input of the red dragon pump is just to close to the wall.

Plus I want it to match the pvc ato and 8 chamber doser lol.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to get a different sump. I’ll move the Triton to the frag setup. I need 3 more inches for the skimmer section for the bubble king. The input of the red dragon pump is just to close to the wall.

Plus I want it to match the pvc ato and 8 chamber doser lol.
So is your ato outside the cabinet? I have a reefer 250 and I went with the trigger Triton 26 w/ a matching ato. I have about 2 inches to spare.

OP
OP
ScottW

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ATO and 8 chamber doser will be outside. The Triton34 takes up the entire stand. I’d say 1/32 of and inch of space if that much. So this new sump will give me .5” of space, I don’t like it so tight.

Having a custom cabinet built to hold the ato, doser, apex, 8 pump doser ( 2x4), fish food, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back