Red Sea Reefer 250 v3 sump refugium

MUTiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer 250 with a V3 sump (54 gallon display and 11 gallon sump). I have a mixed reef and am interested in starting a refugium. For those of you who don’t know, the V3 sump has a refugium chamber before the protein skimmer chamber. I have read and have always been told that it should be the opposite with the refugium after the skimmer.

So should I:

A. Go ahead and Set up a refugium as the Red Sea sump allows
B. Not set up a refugium as it is not worth. Any pods would be devoured by the skimmer before reaching the return pump chamber and the display tank.
C. Get a new sump?

Why does Red Sea design their sumps this way?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it really matters where your refugium is, to be honest - I've seen them configured both before and after the skimmer (and there are pros and cons to both). For what it's worth, I don't run a refugium in my Red Sea tank. I've converted the "refugium" chamber to a large extended bio media chamber that houses various MarinePure and Polyp Lab blocks. I found that anytime I tried to run a light in the sump area - everything started getting coated with algae (one of the potential downsides with a refugium).

Most people run a refugium to naturally control nitrates and phosphates, so if you're looking to cultivate copepods you might be further ahead simply adding a bottle or two to your main display and just letting them grow there.

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it really matters where your refugium is, to be honest - I've seen them configured both before and after the skimmer (and there are pros and cons to both). For what it's worth, I don't run a refugium in my Red Sea tank.

I found that anytime I tried to run a light in the sump area - everything started getting coated with algae (one of the potential downsides with a refugium).

Most people run a refugium to naturally control nitrates and phosphates, so if you're looking to cultivate copepods you might be further ahead simply adding a bottle or two to your main display and just letting them grow there.
I also have a Reefer V3 Sump layout - it is a Reefer G2 but the 4 chamber layout and sizes are (for my Tank) unchanged. The RS Operation Manual does show the RS Skimmer in the Rear Chamber e.g. behind the Refugium Wall but it doesn't mention how the front or rear chamber will be used - that's up to the User to decide. The ReefMat is shown hanging off the front but there are feet provided for other layouts - which are Sump and Skimmer dependent.

For my own Tank, I could have put the Skimmer in the Front Chamber but I went with (only a) convention and put it in the Rear Chamber - that makes it very slightly harder to maintain - not a problem. I also don't have Refugium in my Red Sea Tank. Using a Refugium to control Nitrates and Phosphates is seen as "a natural" option. I use NoPoX - which I also consider "a natural" option - the bacteria that NoPoX encourages is simply removed from the Refugium and into the main Tank. I'm also put off the Refugium because the light has the potential to encourage growth of algae.

I'm following the RS Algae Management Program that has three levels of NoPoX and additionally a half "minimum" dose. In practice my 600+ litre Tank uses either (typically) 3ml, 6ml (or nothing) daily to maintain a consistent Nitrate level. I know that the light output of some Refugium lights is less than the published figures because they cut the output as the temperature reaches aquarium levels. There is nothing "completely natural" about running a Tank, especially as the Supplements are sometimes (intentionally) above that of natural Seawater. I do accept that not everyone agrees that NoPoX is the perfect choice, but I am trying to avoid the algae growth, Cheeto Management, use of several Lights and/or Timers especially as the results are hard to predict.

The Refugium Wall also controls the overall height of Water in the Sump. In my Tank it can be lifted out so that the two Chambers are combined. Almost limitless potential: Cheeto in the Front, Back or both Chambers and/or a Protein Skimmer. About the only "normal convention" seems to be that Socks or a ReefMat filter the water ahead of a Protein Skimmer?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Refugium Wall also controls the overall height of Water in the Sump. In my Tank it can be lifted out so that the two Chambers are combined. Almost limitless potential: Cheeto in the Front, Back or both Chambers and/or a Protein Skimmer. About the only "normal convention" seems to be that Socks or a ReefMat filter the water ahead of a Protein Skimmer?
Yes, you definitely want any filter socks or a fleece roller before the protein skimmer (to get the worst). I'm thinking the ideal setup is probably:

Filtration » Protein Skimmer » Refugium (so the skimmer doesn't destroy all the benefit of the refugium)

At least this seems to be the favored approach (though I've seen it done either way as well).

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the ideal setup is probably:

Filtration » Protein Skimmer » Refugium (so the skimmer doesn't destroy all the benefit of the refugium)
I don't plan to add run a Refugium (with Chaeto) - but if I did, my RSK-600 would fit.

The recommended RSK-900 wouldn't fit in the Front Chamber (with the Refugium Chamber behind) in my Tank because the Skimmer width is wider than the depth of the Front Chamber. The drawings for other Sumps also show a deeper Rear Chamber - so that's why Red Sea always shows Protein Skimmers in the (deeper) Back Chamber.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back