Red Sea Reefer 300 G2 Build

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nuvo 20 gallon tank and I am planning on upgrading to this tank in the near future after the floors are put in. What would be good recommended equipment for this tank?

Equipment I am re-using are
2 ai prime (only gonna have LpS because I can’t keep SPS alive anyway)
Inkbird heater controller
4 dosers
Supplements
20lbs of live rock
Mp10
Eco tech battery pack

New Equipment
2 heaters 200watt enough?
Red Sea rollers Matt worth it?
Red Sea protein skimmer
Hang on the back Uv sterilizer ( I am running ich management)
Jaebo DCT 8000 return pump. I saw great reviews on Amazon and i thought it was decently priced as well.

Anything else needed???
Would I need a 2nd mp10 and a 2nd battery ecotech

I will get new sand and maybe 20 more lbs of live rock so I don’t have to cycle my new tank because of my critters.

Current live stock
2 clown fish
2 cleaner shrimp
1 royal gamma
1 cardinal bengaii

New live stock I want to add

My new DT tank volume will be 65 gallons
Possibly add yellow tang? Or kole tang?
I know kole tang I rated for 70 gallons on live aquaria I think close enough.
I want to add 1 yellow coris wrasse and maybe one angel as well. I do know they munch corals.

One last question how should I go about upgrading from 20 gallons to 80 gallons?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an XL 300 also. I went with all ecotech components so everything is on one easy to use app. Tangs need at least 4 feet width.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Equipment lists looks solid. I have the 200XL and can say the Reefmat is a must. Its a drop in without any mods to your sump. The corrugated pipe works well but is a pain in the sump. I would hard plumb for better results. Defintely get more live rock too.

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yellow or kole would be fine I have a YT in my 200xl and he’s super healthy, I would switch to hydra 32s , also 2 mp10s would be my recommendation

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an XL 300 also. I went with all ecotech components so everything is on one easy to use app. Tangs need at least 4 feet width.
4 inches off from 4ft wide pretty close

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow or kole would be fine I have a YT in my 200xl and he’s super healthy, I would switch to hydra 32s , also 2 mp10s would be my recommendation
How long did you have him for? Just curious :). I don’t think I can buy hydra 32s anymore. I can buy the newer model. I think I rather spend the money on a protein skimmer and and rollermatt than on the lights. I don’t plan on any SPS because I already attempted 5 species and I don’t want to kill anymore. I have had great success with LPS and my ai primes.

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long did you have him for? Just curious :). I don’t think I can buy hydra 32s anymore. I can buy the newer model. I think I rather spend the money on a protein skimmer and and rollermatt than on the lights. I don’t plan on any SPS because I already attempted 5 species and I don’t want to kill anymore. I have had great success with LPS and my ai primes.

I definitely don’t think the primes will cover enough for the entire thing but you sure can do it. Just might have more shadowed areas.
I’ve had the yellow tang for about 6 months now. Captive bred 2E720EE3-8B33-4E16-B91A-DDCE93E3BB50.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No your right I am wrong. 48 inches for 4ft. 12 inches off which isn’t much space anyway haha
The only reason I bring it up is I tried twice to have a bristletooth tooth tang in mine and both times the fish was severely stressed and you could tell he needed a bigger tank and ended in failure.

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I bring it up is I tried twice to have a bristletooth tooth tang in mine and both times the fish was severely stressed and you could tell he needed a bigger tank and ended in failure.
Was it aggressive as crap? I have seen that with damsels even in smaller tanks. All these fish swim miles. I noticed I had less issues when I created lots of hiding spots. Also if you keep one algae eater with another that can make it aggressive or similar colors as well. I have seen tang aggression even in the largest tanks 200 gallons and up. It’s just the fish.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it aggressive as crap? I have seen that with damsels even in smaller tanks. All these fish swim miles. I noticed I had less issues when I created lots of hiding spots. Also if you keep one algae eater with another that can make it aggressive or similar colors as well. I have seen tang aggression even in the largest tanks 200 gallons and up. It’s just the fish.
No fish were not the issue. Lot of rockscape with multiple caves and green slime algae to eat. Tank is to small in my opinion but some have been successful. They kept shamu in a swimming pool so I guess anything is possible but don't be surprised if it doesn't end well.

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish were not the issue. Lot of rockscape with multiple caves and green slime algae to eat. Tank is to small in my opinion but some have been successful. They kept shamu in a swimming pool so I guess anything is possible but don't be surprised if it doesn't end well.
You know my LFS recommended I get a blue tang in my 20 gallon I trusted the loser. The dam thing was freaking out. It get stuck to all the over flows and got stuck to all the powerheads and rammed into the glass 20 times a day. Than it was covered in ich. I got it to another local fish store I also couldn’t get my money back. Trust me I know when a fish is not happy and I did the right thing. It’s why I don’t trust local fish stores now. I also don’t think 12 inches is gonna be a big difference.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know my LFS recommended I get a blue tang in my 20 gallon I trusted the loser. The dam thing was freaking out. It get stuck to all the over flows and got stuck to all the powerheads and rammed into the glass 20 times a day. Than it was covered in ich. I got it to another local fish store I also couldn’t get my money back. Trust me I know when a fish is not happy and I did the right thing. It’s why I don’t trust local fish stores now. I also don’t think 12 inches is gonna be a big difference.

Wow, just wow , why don't you research what you doing rather than blame some kid at the lfs just trying to do a good job at work.... 12" isn't a big deal for tangs any of those tanks are to small! do fish and coral research stop killing animals for no reason

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just wow , why don't you research what you doing rather than blame some kid at the lfs just trying to do a good job at work.... 12" isn't a big deal for tangs any of those tanks are to small! do fish and coral research stop killing animals for no reason
I got rid of it pretty fast. The guy told me for 4 weeks straight it’s fine you can do it other peoples tanks I service have blue tangs in their 20 gallons trusted the dude then I regretted it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back