Red Sea Reefer 350 Build

hedgeclipper2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

So I have had my IM Nuvo 30L set up for just over a year (had other smaller tanks before that), and I am already starting to out grow this tank and looking into something bigger. Was originally going to get the Red Sea Reefer 250, but the spouse likes the wider size of the 350, plus the wall where it goes is like 7' long, so we feel the 4' size will make it a nice centerpiece.

I haven't purchased anything yet as I am in need of help on the build out and what to get for this tank.

Equipment I currently own and plan to use on this new build:
MP10WQD
2x Ai Prime HD in white on gooseneck mounts
Eheim 100w and 150w heaters
Tunze Nano ATO (to supplement the Red Sea ATO)

Here is what is "in my cart" to purchase for the new build:

Red Sea Reefer 350 in white
Bubble Magus Curve 5
Maxspect Gyre XF 230 w/controller (to complement the MP10WQD)
Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 (not sure about this one, should I consider Ecotech Vectra S1 instead?)
Ai Prime HD in white on gooseneck (to add to my existing 2 to make 3 across the tank)

Also, been reading about the IceCap 3k Gyre as well. The cost is so much less than the Maxspect Gyre, anyone have any experience with the IceCap 3k? Would that work for this build?

Am I missing anything? Or something I should consider instead?

I am having hesitation on the lights, however I keep no SPS corals and do not plan on keeping any in the future either. I like my softies and LPS.

I currently only have 1 clownfish and 1 green chromis. I do plan on adding additional fish, but not until after March when we are going to Europe for 3 weeks. Was thinking of stocking maybe 7 fish max?

With Christmas coming up I don't really want to break the bank on this new build, am planning on selling my Nuvo 30L with stand as soon as this new tank is up and running, so that can pay for something new.

Help and advise is appreciated :) Thanks!

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sounds like a good plan. I think from all I have read the 3k would work for that size tank. I use the 1k, but have done a lot of research on both

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great plan so far and welcome to R2R as well

You do realise if you have 7ft of wall your just wasting space don’t you. The 750xxl will fill that just nicely or a Max S 650 just perfect! Lol

OP
OP
H

hedgeclipper2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great plan so far and welcome to R2R as well

You do realise if you have 7ft of wall your just wasting space don’t you. The 750xxl will fill that just nicely or a Max S 650 just perfect! Lol

Haha! The problem is the wall is where the foyer ends and then on the other side is where most of the traffic goes into the kitchen, so people still need to be able to walk around it. Trust me, I tried to justify the 450XL or even bigger. But we put painters tape on the wood floors and this size will allow the best “flow” through the room.

Also, I’ve been reading about the AquaMaxx Magnus VSG6000 DC return pump, people seem to like, reasonable price, good flow, anybody using one?

OP
OP
H

hedgeclipper2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the Bubble Magus Curve 5 and Current USA eFlux 6010 DC return pump yesterday.

Will order the tank after I get back from my 10 day scuba diving trip

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do suggest not using the mp10wqd. The magnet is not strong enough to support through the rsr350 glass. Go with 2 maxspect gyres. If money isn't an object anymore, go with at least the mp40wqd.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 41 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back