OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do with the fish?? I see your tiles are still clean! Looks nice bro!
I had a Tang that Ich came out in.... very sad. Only one Clown lived in this mess.... which he’s been in a QT tank for about three months now and doing fantastic! I’m actually in the process of giving him away for FREE(Snow flake clown fish)!

my wife wanted this Tang.... can’t explain anything to wives about Tangs... not a fan of Ich. Had ICH in my old tank about ten years ago!

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do with the fish?? I see your tiles are still clean! Looks nice bro!
At first my tiles got algae all over them and on the rocks. Basically the new tank stage. Sucked!!!
So I bought a snail kit of 200 little snails, that did that job and then some!!! Only one problem... the seller sent me 450!!!!!hahahahaha same price, guess you can’t complain? So after my algae finally was 98.5% gone I gave them away for free. One guy here paid for shipping on 200 of them.

Now my Trochus snails maintain my system!

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Contest entry but actually curious)
Did you ever add fish back into your tank? Also on your next chaeto trim could I get a ball from you?
Heck no I didn’t add any fish back!!! I love it too!!!
So the Chaeto started dying out because there wasn’t anything basically feeding it. Lack of fish! As soon as more grows back, I’d gladly ship you some, free of charge of course, just pay the shipping which can’t be but like five bucks,hahaha. Why are people selling Chaeto when it grows so fast!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go for a Christmas update for everyone!!!!!

Lets just jump to it!
After ordering my Apex and Trident (bought here) I had to put it somewhere?
My wife isn't a fan of anything showing from the tank. She likes everything tucked away.... No reefer wants to tuck anything away! We all know how hard it can be when moving things in the cabinet.

There's a 13" gap to the right of my tank. I wanted to build a stand and move almost all electronics to the stand. Wanted less heat in the tank cabinet, as must do.

Lets start the cabinet!

Went to Lowe's and bought a sheet of 4'x8' plywood that's identical to what Red Sea makes their stands from.
This stand is:
23.5"(with door)"Deep
34" Tall
13" Wide

1608829419964.png

The Shelf in there was cut into to because I wanted for easy access into moving anything.

I didn't take a photo of the precut in the stand but here's what it looks like after ONE coat of Enamel Paint.
The two slots on the back side go across the whole stand. The bottom slot is right below the shelf so I can put electronics everywhere if needed.

I wanted it heavy duty so I had to put screws through the top. I can always go back and change this but right now, I'm good. I did so many screws because it appeared to look better to me? Let me know if it does to you!
1608830007238.png
1608830300208.png

1608830312726.png

Paint was fun but I had to wait 24 hours between coats..... that's right..... It was only about 50 outside and that specific paint said you shouldn't paint when it's less than 50 out.... So after SEVEN coats of paint, it started to look great!!!!!

After seven days of painting I wanted to get the door on. The door hinges were bought at Lowe's and are almost identical to the Red Sea hinges.
I didn't take photos of the feet below the stand but they were bought from Amazon.
1608831029020.png

1608830527644.png

It was done!!!!! I waited another week to let the paint harden up very good and let the smell of paint clear.

Now it was time add my favorite touch to this stand!
A Red Sea logo! I contacted Red Sea and explained what I was doing and they gladly sent me one. I did pay like a $1.50 for it and shipping but this was a must!haha
1608830712890.png

Here's what the stand looks like by the tank!
1608831315354.png

With blue lighting:
1608831430747.png

In person it's the same color, had to add a filter to take the blue out in order to get this good shot!

Now lets jump inside!

Apex was mounted to the top right so all probe cables could be easily accessed instantly from the back at the top.
To the Right you'll see an Ipad mounted to the right wall.
It's on a mini ball head that can move around.
Don't look at the woods chips, I literally took this image as soon as I mounted the Ipad.haha.....

Also added two square pieces of plywood behind the shelf for better ventilation and for and wires I might need to took against the back wall.
1608831498737.png

Ipad mounted and can be folded up at any given time!
1608832015405.png
1608832881009.png

You're probably asking where the heck is that Energy Bar?
I literally mounted it to the bottom of the back shelf. That shelf can fold up and stay up for easy access for plug ins.
1608831708548.png

1608832807106.png

Moved my Radion lighting over to this stand. I simply put the in the back at an angle so they're not laying on their cables.

Added my Trident! The tube for pulling water from the tank couldn't go through the back with all the other wires.
Plus it wouldn't be long enough either.
I had it go through the front at the bottom, there's just enough space where the door won't close on it.
Glad it's the same color!
My only other option was to put it in the tank cabinet but I wanted that free as much as possible.
1608832076047.png

And here's how it looks with both doors open:
1608832542214.png

In the stand there's a board that's coated in blast plastic dip I left my MP40's on it and my Return on it.
I added a eight plugin to the outside of the plastic board for when I need to do water changes or add any canister filters or simply anything else. I do have LED lighting that's in the tank cabinet stand that's plugged into it.

That's everything for now!!!!!
Tank is still doing great and will post about that soon!

Please let me know what you think everyone!
Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• 1608830737785.png
    1608830737785.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 1608832849485.png
    1608832849485.png
    416.9 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Red sea emblem. I may need to build a cabinet also. To much clutter. I have a RedSea also. Mine is an older one. If you need to part with some of that clean chaeto in the warmer weather I would love some. Hard to come by here in Wyoming. I have problems with my spouse's impulse fish buying at times. Only one tang allowed in my tank!

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Red sea emblem. I may need to build a cabinet also. To much clutter. I have a RedSea also. Mine is an older one. If you need to part with some of that clean chaeto in the warmer weather I would love some. Hard to come by here in Wyoming. I have problems with my spouse's impulse fish buying at times. Only one tang allowed in my tank!
I think the Red Sea emblem is the best thing about the stand!hahhaha
Now it’s still clutter but nothing like it was!
When it get hotter out, message me on the Chaeto, still growing in the garage!
Amazing job. The wiring and plugs in the small right section was a nightmare for me (see my build thread). Building your own cabinet is beyond impressive. Nice job. Post a pic of how your tank/corals are looking.
Thank you! I love the shelf! Great idea! I’m going to consider to add a shelf too if I need more room. Hate the no back space game! Be nice to find a shelf to go all the way at the top and it doesn’t need to be drilled!

As soon as lights come on, I’ll update ;)

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go for a Christmas update for everyone!!!!!

Lets just jump to it!
After ordering my Apex and Trident (bought here) I had to put it somewhere?
My wife isn't a fan of anything showing from the tank. She likes everything tucked away.... No reefer wants to tuck anything away! We all know how hard it can be when moving things in the cabinet.

There's a 13" gap to the right of my tank. I wanted to build a stand and move almost all electronics to the stand. Wanted less heat in the tank cabinet, as must do.

Lets start the cabinet!

Went to Lowe's and bought a sheet of 4'x8' plywood that's identical to what Red Sea makes their stands from.
This stand is:
23.5"(with door)"Deep
34" Tall
13" Wide

1608829419964.png

The Shelf in there was cut into to because I wanted for easy access into moving anything.

I didn't take a photo of the precut in the stand but here's what it looks like after ONE coat of Enamel Paint.
The two slots on the back side go across the whole stand. The bottom slot is right below the shelf so I can put electronics everywhere if needed.

I wanted it heavy duty so I had to put screws through the top. I can always go back and change this but right now, I'm good. I did so many screws because it appeared to look better to me? Let me know if it does to you!
1608830007238.png
1608830300208.png

1608830312726.png

Paint was fun but I had to wait 24 hours between coats..... that's right..... It was only about 50 outside and that specific paint said you shouldn't paint when it's less than 50 out.... So after SEVEN coats of paint, it started to look great!!!!!

After seven days of painting I wanted to get the door on. The door hinges were bought at Lowe's and are almost identical to the Red Sea hinges.
I didn't take photos of the feet below the stand but they were bought from Amazon.
1608831029020.png

1608830527644.png

It was done!!!!! I waited another week to let the paint harden up very good and let the smell of paint clear.

Now it was time add my favorite touch to this stand!
A Red Sea logo! I contacted Red Sea and explained what I was doing and they gladly sent me one. I did pay like a $1.50 for it and shipping but this was a must!haha
1608830712890.png

Here's what the stand looks like by the tank!
1608831315354.png

With blue lighting:
1608831430747.png

In person it's the same color, had to add a filter to take the blue out in order to get this good shot!

Now lets jump inside!

Apex was mounted to the top right so all probe cables could be easily accessed instantly from the back at the top.
To the Right you'll see an Ipad mounted to the right wall.
It's on a mini ball head that can move around.
Don't look at the woods chips, I literally took this image as soon as I mounted the Ipad.haha.....

Also added two square pieces of plywood behind the shelf for better ventilation and for and wires I might need to took against the back wall.
1608831498737.png

Ipad mounted and can be folded up at any given time!
1608832015405.png
1608832881009.png

You're probably asking where the heck is that Energy Bar?
I literally mounted it to the bottom of the back shelf. That shelf can fold up and stay up for easy access for plug ins.
1608831708548.png

1608832807106.png

Moved my Radion lighting over to this stand. I simply put the in the back at an angle so they're not laying on their cables.

Added my Trident! The tube for pulling water from the tank couldn't go through the back with all the other wires.
Plus it wouldn't be long enough either.
I had it go through the front at the bottom, there's just enough space where the door won't close on it.
Glad it's the same color!
My only other option was to put it in the tank cabinet but I wanted that free as much as possible.
1608832076047.png

And here's how it looks with both doors open:
1608832542214.png

In the stand there's a board that's coated in blast plastic dip I left my MP40's on it and my Return on it.
I added a eight plugin to the outside of the plastic board for when I need to do water changes or add any canister filters or simply anything else. I do have LED lighting that's in the tank cabinet stand that's plugged into it.

That's everything for now!!!!!
Tank is still doing great and will post about that soon!

Please let me know what you think everyone!
Merry Christmas!
Great build thread and I love how you contacted Red Sea to get an extra logo! I just got my tank today and it will sit center in my dining room so I'm able to flank it with 30" length cabinets on either side...considering contacting Red Sea now! Following you for more updates in the near future hopefully!

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread and I love how you contacted Red Sea to get an extra logo! I just got my tank today and it will sit center in my dining room so I'm able to flank it with 30" length cabinets on either side...considering contacting Red Sea now! Following you for more updates in the near future hopefully!
It was very simply too! She was happy to sell me a logo for a simply $1.50!
Follow! I’ll keep updating! Let me know if you need any help with that cabinet!

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you vacuum your tank with having the small frag tiles on the bottom?
I have never vacuumed the bottom. I haven’t had any problems. I did notice the other day when a little build up was happening.
because there are tiles and you really can’t vacuum that, that a very small tubing, like for drip buckets or acclimating and simply run down the corners.
Because my tile are lined up perfectly, I should be able to run it like mowing a lawn, back and forth. Then up and down.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back