Red Sea reefer 450 not level

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after filling my RSR 450 I noticed it wasn’t level. I lose about 1/4 in. In the water level from side to side on the front.
Front:
IMG_7269.jpeg

Side:
IMG_7268.jpeg

Full tank shot:

IMG_7271.jpeg

I wanted to get some opinions on my next steps. I’m planning to drain it this weekend and use composite shims to level it but was curious on:

1) how bad is the leveling off? Im I right to be concerned?

2) where should the shims be placed? I’m planning on placing them under the plastic feet that came with stand and was wondering if that would be best.
IMG_7270.jpeg

Any and all comments welcomed!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it lvl before you started, I guess it was, I would look into why it’s not now, what has moved.

Probably not the issue but is the glass sides etc the same exact hight? The tank maybe lvl but the glass panels may be slightly different heights? Where you are resting your lvl.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS should have adjustable feet.…..oops nevermind I think the smaller ones didn’t.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it lvl before you started, I guess it was, I would look into why it’s not now, what has moved.

Probably not the issue but is the glass sides etc the same exact hight? The tank maybe lvl but the glass panels may be slightly different heights? Where you are resting your lvl.
This is a reefer wasn’t mine and I got from a friend who was getting out of saltwater tanks. It’s in great shape so I took it (plus it was free).

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
450 didn't have the feet.

With Red Sea's checkered history, I'd do everything I could to make sure that tank is level to minimize any uneven stress that I could.

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
450 didn't have the feet.

With Red Sea's checkered history, I'd do everything I could to make sure that tank is level to minimize any uneven stress that I could.
Exactly! I’ll be shimming it tomorrow after I pick up some brutes trash cans from my LFS.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after filling my RSR 450 I noticed it wasn’t level. I lose about 1/4 in. In the water level from side to side on the front.
Front:
IMG_7269.jpeg

Side:
IMG_7268.jpeg

Full tank shot:

IMG_7271.jpeg

I wanted to get some opinions on my next steps. I’m planning to drain it this weekend and use composite shims to level it but was curious on:

2) where should the shims be placed? I’m planning on placing them under the plastic feet that came with stand and was wondering if that would be best.
IMG_7270.jpeg

Don't try and shim under the pegs as there only being held on by 1/2" tacks that will bend and then be useless. Triple up if you have to under the frame.

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try and shim under the pegs as there only being held on by 1/2" tacks that will bend and then be useless. Triple up if you have to under the frame.
I was thinking the same thing. My plan is to draining the water and then lift the empty system with a crow bar slowly until it’s level, then place the shims under the pegs.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing. My plan is to draining the water and then lift the empty system with a crow bar slowly until it’s level, then place the shims under the pegs.
If I had to do it again I'd loose all the pegs and set her down. Don't forget to check your sump also. These cabinets are queer.

Deignan14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this turn out? Did you drain it completely? I have the same exact issue with my reefer 450 and I am certain its due to the overflow design causing water damage in the stand over time. I have just realized its a ticking time bomb and I am concerned that trying to level a damaged stand while there is even a little water and rock in my display is a bad idea.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my days, what a nightmare! Glad you managed to make it level alright! At least now a good nights sleep is secured!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Well done!

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this turn out? Did you drain it completely? I have the same exact issue with my reefer 450 and I am certain it’s due to the overflow design causing water damage in the stand over time. I have just realized it’s a ticking time bomb and I am concerned that trying to level a damaged stand while there is even a little water and rock in my display is a bad idea.
Luckily there was no livestock in the display, just water, sand, and rock. I emptied the sump and display (water only) into trash bins, then with a crow bar, I slowly lifted the tank setup. I placed the composite sims under the plastic pins/feet and measured again. Kept doing this at micro-intervals until it was all level….

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankful for this thread.

I just moved my 525xl that has a similar stand/feet. Long story short, I had too many balls in the air and had to move forward with the stand slightly unleveled from front to back. I needed to stock the tank and figure out the leveling after the fact.

My plan now is to drain both the tank and sump down as much as possible so that it can be carefully lifted and shimmed.

I was considering ordering 4 of those hand lifting jack tools sold on Amazon to raise the front of the tank just enough to shim. Has anyone had experience with those?

But I can also consider a crow bar (or multiple crow bars?) it seems.

Joe

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankful for this thread.

I just moved my 525xl that has a similar stand/feet. Long story short, I had too many balls in the air and had to move forward with the stand slightly unleveled from front to back. I needed to stock the tank and figure out the leveling after the fact.

My plan now is to drain both the tank and sump down as much as possible so that it can be carefully lifted and shimmed.

I was considering ordering 4 of those hand lifting jack tools sold on Amazon to raise the front of the tank just enough to shim. Has anyone had experience with those?

But I can also consider a crow bar (or multiple crow bars?) it seems.

Joe
Since the 525xl is larger, two crow bars, evenly spaced, on the same side might be a good idea. Just make sure they are lifted at the same rate and height. You’ll probably need an extra pair of hands (or two) to make sure things go smoothly. Also, make sure as you adjust the height slowly you also check the other sides of the tank to make sure there are no gaps between the stand and floor on the opposite sides as you go…
Best of luck, Joe!

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow-up. I was able to drain the majority of water into a brute trash can + bins, and then use 2 hand jacks from Amazon to lift the front just enough to level and shim. In hindsight, I would have used 4 hand jacks. Keeping the tools as they’ve proven useful around the house!

These are low profile and fit below the 525xl (no adjustable feet).

Fanreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Front:
IMG_7269.jpeg

Side:
IMG_7268.jpeg

Full tank shot:

IMG_7271.jpeg

IMG_7270.jpeg

Very nice and interesting scape. what kind of rocks are these?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back