Red Sea reefer 525XL G2 build

saltwaterintern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Super excited to share with you all that I have ordered my tank and majority of equipment over the last couple of days. While waiting on the Tank and equipment to arrive I thought I’d share what I’m going to be working with.

Tank: Redsea 525XL G2
Lights: 3x XR15 G6 pros and Mounts
Flow: 2 Ecotech MP40s
Return: Vectra M2
Skimmer: NYOS Quantum 160
Reactors: NYOS 1.0 Torq G2
Heater: 600w titanium heater with controller
Reef-mat 1200 fleece roller

Controllers and connections:
Reef Link wireless controller
Ecotech Battery back-up
APEX pro controller system with 2 Energy bars
2 APEX Dosing pumps

Im currently considering doing a custom build on the plumbing, I’m considering adding extra in incase I’d like to add a UV or chiller down the line, but also considered creating an easy option for a water change- previously using little pumps to do water changes on my previous tanks I found this very tedious.
I have some questions on this-
Would you recommend running an additional pump to run this completely separate from the main tank return line?
Or should I run a line from the main return line and use taps to close off the second whilst not in use?
Where is the best place to buy the fittings and taps for a job like this?
Does anyone know the size of pipe I’d need for the job?

Sorry lots of questions, Im not much of a handyman so will be going out of my comfort zone doing this and really want to get it right!
Im looking forward to sharing this build with you all, pictures will come as and when I start the work.

Sam

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Super excited to share with you all that I have ordered my tank and majority of equipment over the last couple of days. While waiting on the Tank and equipment to arrive I thought I’d share what I’m going to be working with.

Tank: Redsea 525XL G2
Lights: 3x XR15 G6 pros and Mounts
Flow: 2 Ecotech MP40s
Return: Vectra M2
Skimmer: NYOS Quantum 160
Reactors: NYOS 1.0 Torq G2
Heater: 600w titanium heater with controller
Reef-mat 1200 fleece roller

Controllers and connections:
Reef Link wireless controller
Ecotech Battery back-up
APEX pro controller system with 2 Energy bars
2 APEX Dosing pumps

Im currently considering doing a custom build on the plumbing, I’m considering adding extra in incase I’d like to add a UV or chiller down the line, but also considered creating an easy option for a water change- previously using little pumps to do water changes on my previous tanks I found this very tedious.
I have some questions on this-
Would you recommend running an additional pump to run this completely separate from the main tank return line?
Or should I run a line from the main return line and use taps to close off the second whilst not in use?
Where is the best place to buy the fittings and taps for a job like this?
Does anyone know the size of pipe I’d need for the job?

Sorry lots of questions, Im not much of a handyman so will be going out of my comfort zone doing this and really want to get it right!
Im looking forward to sharing this build with you all, pictures will come as and when I start the work.

Sam
Can't wait to see what the tank looks like once it finally gets there for you!!

Dfrashid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat same tank just I have the sky lights 2 of them also the pipes are metrics I believe 25mm on the return and 35 mm on the drains I order some popping the same size to make my own manifold i only found ball valves not like these
Screenshot_20230224_223225_YouTube.jpg

OP
OP
S

saltwaterintern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of an update a couple weeks in.

got myself a pair of Clowns, small group of clean up crew and a fire shrimp.

I’m having issues with white build up on the glass and the bottom of the sump. See pictures- any ideas of what is causing it?
Please ignore my bad cable management I need to do abit of organizing still.

A2D13911-C060-4E53-9C79-831C06F3B561.jpeg
91094A8A-B79C-477D-A1FB-C0883D3DD062.jpeg
F5BED305-4661-4678-A2C7-D0D9F8A4FB47.jpeg
87365D3F-2897-44F1-8D47-FEDF06D10885.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up with an interesting rock scape design. I saw the thread after you already started but I would have suggested dual smaller heaters for redundancy rather then a single. I have a red sea also with lot of the same equipment too.

OP
OP
S

saltwaterintern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about getting a second heater at some point just incase. So I for sure appreciate that suggestion. Thank you!
Nice set up with an interesting rock scape design. I saw the thread after you already started but I would have suggested dual smaller heaters for redundancy rather then a single. I have a red sea also with lot of the same equipment too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back