Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL Overflows

Grizzy56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Red Sea Reefer 625 xxl (tank only) that I'm setting up using a Trigger Systems Sapphire 39. The tank has two overflow outs, one standard out and the other a slightly taller "emergency" out, and the sump has dual intakes into the filter sock area. My thought was to cut both tank overflow pipes to equal lengths, install unions and valves on both pipes, split one overflow line to connect to the dual intakes on the sump and run the remaining overflow direct to my refugium. Does any of that sound logical??

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem with doing this physically speaking is that the overflow will be louder. For the quietest overflow one drain will need to be a full siphon with a lower intake and the other will only have a slight trickle with a higher intake. if noise is no issue then there is not a problem with your plan physically speaking.

What I would also question is why you would want to do this. All this would do is lower the amount of water flow through the sock and skimmer chambers probably making them perform worse. If all of the water is dumped into the sock area that water has to go some where so it travels horizontally through the fuge area until it gets to the return pump. If you have half of the water exit later in the loop. That half of the water bypasses the sock and skimmer areas and still passes to the return pump. Simply put there would be no flow increase in the fuge and less flow through earlier chambers leading to lower filter performance.

Mjp83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to second Montiman’s reply. I just custom plumped my 525, and ended up with 1” pipe into the trigger 39 sump flowing into a custom made acrylic box for filter pads, and the overflow is a 3/4 hose going into the first chamber.

I also upgraded the skinny 1/2 elbow return nozzle to a 3/4“ elbow with two 3/4“ loc-lines. BBBE89E6-62AF-42E7-8A4E-4DFEEBC39928.jpeg DB0EC9CF-B627-4B50-9DCA-6146063E156F.jpeg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back