Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Packaging and Moving the Beast

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL just got dropped off. I didn't realize they weren't going to be able to at least wheel the thing into my house from my garage, so I have a bit of a dilemma. I am trying to figure out the best way to get the thing in there and that sort of depends on the packaging. As it stands, the package supposedly weighs 927lbs and I was told the tank weighs about 540lbs of that.
My question is: Are all components of the stand accessible without moving the tank within the crate? My hope is that I can open it all up, build the stand and then hire a couple of movers to just move the glass in and set it on the tank. That plan is sort of ruined if there are any pieces of the stand under the tank, though I may be able to live if it's just the top or something since I could build the rest, move the tank in and quickly assemble the top and have them put it on.
However, if a significant portion is under the tank, I may hire movers to just get it in the house in the crate so it is all protected, then put it together and invite some friends over for beers and moving the glass a few feet up in the air.
Just trying to plan it in the most cost effective way, so any input on how it is packaged would be great.

Thanks

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful with movers as they typically don’t cover 100% if they break or damage it. It’s cents on the dollar. My glass alone weighed a little over 1000lbs. Me and 6 guys moved it.

If you have a couple strong friends I’d unload it onto a furniture dolly and roll it through the house and do it yourself. Get some pizza and beer(save the beer for after lol)

Or go the mover route... just make sure on the coverage. You don’t want your new glass scratched or broken.

Congrats on everything!! Exciting seeing new glass get filled

OP
OP
A

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the movers not being the most cautious is why I was tempted to just try to get them to move it in the whole crate. I've been debating which way to do it (friends just lifting the tank, movers transferring it all and then I just break it down near its final spot). I can't wait either way though. First fish are sitting in QT as we speak.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks has the same tank and might be able to answer your unpacking questions, I believe everything comes inside the tank so should be possible but I'm not 100% sure...

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's much easier to get inside piece by piece. I unpacked mine in the garage.

Part of the stand will be under the tank if it was packed like mine.

Doors/sides/sump in the tank, back and bottom under the glass.

The glass is 540lbs! No fun!
@4FordFamily and I carried mine into my house just the two of us. Don't do that! We used shoulder harnesses with the strap under the tank. Which may be necessary to get through doorways. 4 guys can carry without too much trouble. I had myself and three others when we set my tank up on the stand.

Good luck! Beautiful setup, love mine!

OP
OP
A

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I got impatient last night and just opened it up. Much to my disappointment, it is packed exactly as you described. It would really make more sense to have the stand fully accessible without moving the tank. Now it necessitates prone coming over twice to move it.
A friend of mine is a contractor and having a couple of his guys over Tuesday to help me move it. But my patience can't handle that... I want to aqua scape and pipe this weekend!
Thanks for the help though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back