RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the thicker-in-the-center to raise the center up, while not pushing up on the sides of it. If it was flat and you tried said wedging action, you would be trying to push the top panel off the stand... force not in right place.

This is where I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. The end goal here is a level brace, which can't be achieved with a bowed piece. This is where the extra width of the temporary brace compensates for the lack of an increased center. If your brace is square and level it will start off lower than the original brace because the original Along with the top stand panel are bowed downwards, as you wedge it up flush with the original one it will level everything off.

If you used a brace with an increased center, as you wedge it up you might end up bowing the top panel in the opposite direction creating a whole new issue...

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. The end goal here is a level brace, which can't be achieved with a bowed piece. This is where the extra width of the temporary brace compensates, if your brace is square and level it will start off lower than the original brace because the original is bowed downwards, as you wedge it up flush with the original one it will level everything off.

I thought the goal here was to reduce sagging (push up on center) and reinforce the area. Not just to have a level brace? I see what you are saying though.

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably right but do you really trust them.
Their point that the smaller models have been around for years without any problems is probably valid.
Judging by the response to the 750 issues, we would most certainly know if 170's, 250's, 350's etc were failing.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some people are able to slide paper in the front but it stops at some point toward the back of the tank. If the front part of the top is sagging, and the top is now warped, could pushing the front part up now create pressure on the back of the tank?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some people are able to slide paper in the front but it stops at some point toward the back of the tank. If the front part of the top is sagging, and the top is now warped, could pushing the front part up now create pressure on the back of the tank?

Pushing it *back* up, to level. So force is evenly distributed. Not pushing it higher than required.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and pain and suffering, loss of aquatic life, etc. They sold a defunct product. Having to drain a tank is basically like setting up a new tank. Who in their right would ever use that tank again or quite frankly anything from them ever again.
Good luck with this. It will never happen.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the goal here was to reduce sagging (push up on center) and reinforce the area. Not just to have a level brace? I see what you are saying though.

Absolutely the goal, it's just approaching it in two different ways. Leveling the brace off requires lifting the sag out, you can do this by using braces that are cut level and square but using more of them (Laminated together) or using braces with a wider center. The issue with the braces with the wider center is when you "level off" the front brace your temporary brace is actually pushing up in the center. Which may or may not cause other issues...

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pushing it *back* up, to level. So force is evenly distributed. Not pushing it higher than required.

But could the top be warped from only the front sagging? If it was warped, would only the front be pushed back up, or would the back of the top move some also?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely the goal, it's just approaching it in two different ways. Leveling the brace off requires lifting the sag out, you can do this by using braces that are cut level and square but using more of them (Laminated together) or using braces with a wider center. The issue with the braces with the wider center is when you "level off" the front brace your temporary brace is actually pushing up in the center. Which may or may not cause other issues...
True. Hey, I wonder if Red-Sea reinforcement kits would be a promising product lineup LOL. Preprimed and painted.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is ridiculous. Call a lawyer, go for it, then report back how much $$ you lost.
The terms of service of this site include that it should not be used as a platform to threaten lawsuits (see moderator’s post in other thread). We are discussing ways to be productive here.

Edit: I may have read your post wrong lol

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you repeatedly attack this person on this topic?
I’m not attacking anyone, I’m pointing out a ridiculous position— Which is basically— my tank has been up for years, it’s not failed, but it might, so I want money.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Hey, I wonder if Red-Sea reinforcement kits would be a promising product lineup LOL. Preprimed and painted.

You never know!

When the 750xxls first came out my LFS set one up and while nothing was bowing or anything I had always wondered about the rather narrow supports. I was going through my stand design with another member on here and my tank is much less weight wise and we still settled on a much thicker bracing than what the 750s have.

Looking back now it's still a mystery to me as to how they came up with that setup for such a large tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back