RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've relayed the results to our local FB group, there were some 750 owners un-aware of the issue that could take place, so thanks guys for making this thread visible. In terms of the paper test, I was told specifically by two known tank builders, when getting my rimless made, that it must be fully supported on the entire length of the bottom panel, not simply the corners like a normal tank with bottom trim. Shouldn't that also apply to these tanks?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've relayed the results to our local FB group, there were some 750 owners un-aware of the issue that could take place, so thanks guys for making this thread visible. In terms of the paper test, I was told specifically by two known tank builders, when getting my rimless made, that it must be fully supported on the entire length of the bottom panel, not simply the corners like a normal tank with bottom trim. Shouldn't that also apply to these tanks?

Yes and yes. Rimless tanks should be fully supported. Red Sea is implying that for the smaller models, their stands are good enough- that the sagging just becomes problematic on the 750xxl.

But obviously, full support is better than partial support. The less stress on the silicon, the longer it’ll last. I want my reefer 350 to last, and will be reinforcing it ASAP.

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and yes. Rimless tanks should be fully supported. Red Sea is implying that for the smaller models, their stands are good enough- that the sagging just becomes problematic on the 750xxl.

But obviously, full support is better than partial support. The less stress on the silicon, the longer it’ll last. I want my reefer 350 to last, and will be reinforcing it ASAP.

I bought the Reefer 350 awhile back as an upgrade.....built the stand and all and have it sitting waiting to finish a few things. Never completed because I contemplated moving.

But now that I am staying put and before I fill this up soon, now would of course be the best time to do any reinforcing if necessary.

Glad I caught this thread now. So my question is does anybody have something specific they would do if you were me while I have this empty before I proceed any further?

Appreciate in advance any insight/input.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is just speculation but I did ask Red Sea if the tanks would need to be drained to fix the issue and they couldn't confirm at this point if it is necessary. Honestly this means that they have no idea what they are doing or how the fix even works. I specifically asked them for a refund on the cost of the tank and am awaiting their response. Regardless I am looking for a new tank and will be throwing this piece of junk out.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Reefer 350 awhile back as an upgrade.....built the stand and all and have it sitting waiting to finish a few things. Never completed because I contemplated moving.

But now that I am staying put and before I fill this up soon, now would

But now that I am staying put and before I fill this up soon, now would of course be the best time to do any reinforcing if necessary.

Glad I caught this thread now. So my question is does anybody have something specific they would do if you were me while I have this empty before I proceed any further?

I think you are okay with that tank size and stand.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I plan on adding some bracing as a preventative measure, either in front of the sump or making the posts on the side with a crossbeam. It shouldn't be too challenging to get a post to the correct length and install it, even better if I post the required measurements later this week. This does limit you from removing the sump in the future though-- as I wouldn't recommend removing the brace.

IzpgbQk.jpg

BHTVnka.jpg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up an XXL 750 2 weeks ago and have not told my wife about the new issue.

I will wait and see what RedSea's solution is. My thought is if my stand is not sagging or not sagging yet, then installing the brace can likely be done without draining the tank. I also would be fine draining the tank if needed. Having worked at an LFS I have drained and refilled many tanks and I'm confident I could do it on a Saturday. I also feel an XXL750 isn't a huge tank but I guess it is all a matter of opinion.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up an XXL 750 2 weeks ago and have not told my wife about the new issue.

I will wait and see what RedSea's solution is. My thought is if my stand is not sagging or not sagging yet, then installing the brace can likely be done without draining the tank. I also would be fine draining the tank if needed. Having worked at an LFS I have drained and refilled many tanks and I'm confident I could do it on a Saturday. I also feel an XXL750 isn't a huge tank but I guess it is all a matter of opinion.

It all depends on the fish you have. I have about a dozen yellow and Randall's assessors that live in the rock. When I drain the tank they will suffocate eventually from being out of the water. It comes down to what's more important. A new tank is the best way to go.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on adding some bracing as a preventative measure, either in front of the sump or making the posts on the side with a crossbeam. It shouldn't be too challenging to get a post to the correct length and install it, even better if I post the required measurements later this week. This does limit you from removing the sump in the future though-- as I wouldn't recommend removing the brace.

IzpgbQk.jpg

BHTVnka.jpg

I am thinking this is what the kit they are sending is going to look like. I was planning on doing this on my 750 in the meantime. Do you think its safe?

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So this is just speculation but I did ask Red Sea if the tanks would need to be drained to fix the issue and they couldn't confirm at this point if it is necessary. Honestly this means that they have no idea what they are doing or how the fix even works. I specifically asked them for a refund on the cost of the tank and am awaiting their response. Regardless I am looking for a new tank and will be throwing this piece of junk out.

I just don’t understand how they didn’t give an option of a refund or the fix. I’m going to assume they have been working on this fix for a while and know it will work. However, if it doesn’t work the problem only compounds itself for Red Sea. This is where you could see lawsuits a plenty; If a persons uses the fix and the tank still fails - it will not be pretty for Red Sea.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking this is what the kit they are sending is going to look like. I was planning on doing this on my 750 in the meantime. Do you think its safe?

I’m not an “internet structural engineer”. I don’t see why it would be unsafe. Though removing it and then adding the Red Sea version could be more stress on the joints than just waiting for the Red Sea version. (Assuming each time you lift it up and then let it down again, it stresses the joints).

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an “internet structural engineer”. I don’t see why it would be unsafe. Though removing it and then adding the Red Sea version could be more stress on the joints than just waiting for the Red Sea version. (Assuming each time you lift it up and then let it down again, it stresses the joints).

I wasn't going to be using Red Sea's fix it. I was going to do it on my own. I guess the question is would that type of brace prevent the sagging from getting worse? It will definitly give added support which would take some of the strain off and is hopefully that is all that is needed.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't going to be using Red Sea's fix it. I was going to do it on my own. I guess the question is would that type of bra e prevent the sagging from getting worse? It will definitly give added support which would take s ok me of the strain off.

If the tolerances are tight enough, one could use the posts to wedge the crossbeam in place and even reduce existing sagging. (By tapping the posts into place). The crossbeam could be shaped like a caul (wider in the center than the ends) to wedge the center back up slightly.

I will share what I end up doing (and do have extensive woodworking experience).

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Basically I am just looking to give this tank some additional support so I can find the cash to to get a new tank and stand. What if this thing blows out and my 2 year old is right there?

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IzpgbQk.jpg

BHTVnka.jpg

Gotcha......thanks for that.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, making an assembly like this (NOT TO SCALE for any particular model!!! Random dimensions! ) utilizes both a caul-technique (thicker in the center) and also wedging-- one can tap the posts vertical to adjust for the sagging center. Correct, @JoshH ?

(And after posts are tapped to be vertical and sagging is removed, one can lock them in place utilizing pocket screws or something.)

T1B2Fiw.png

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, making an assembly like this (NOT TO SCALE for any particular model!) utilizes both a caul-technique (thicker in the center) and also wedging-- one can tap the posts vertical to adjust for the sagging center. Correct, @JoshH ?

T1B2Fiw.png

Exactly what I had in mind but skipping the thicker in the center portion. If you doubled or even tripled up the top reinforcement layers of ply instead of using one and keeping them flat and square it should be enough to lift it back to being flat. Now I am only speaking hypothetically here as I'm no engineer.

The reason I'd skip the brace being thicker in the center is this might stress the glass in the opposite direction which could be equally bad if not worse than it sagging. Now in saying all of this it would absolutely require removing the sump while doing it which is another thing to consider..

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I had in mind but skipping the thicker in the center portion. If you doubled or even tripled up the top reinforcement layers of ply instead of using one and keeping them flat and square it should be enough to lift it back to being flat. Now I am only speaking hypothetically here as I'm no engineer.

The reason I'd skip the brace being thicker in the center is this might stress the glass in the opposite direction which could be equally bad if not worse than it sagging. Now in saying all of this it would absolutely require removing the sump while doing it which is another thing to consider..

You need the thicker-in-the-center to raise the center up, while not pushing up on the sides of it. If it was flat and you tried said wedging action, you would be trying to push the top panel off the stand... force not in right place.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 131 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back