RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to go off topic but do you have a build thread I can follow? Your tank looks awesome!

Sure, but on what legal basis can you sue for a ****** product?...

Has your tank failed or have you just decided you don't like it now that there's an issue?

I would say it's a bad product but also a dangerous one. The fact they acknowledged a design flaw is concerning enough. If their fix prevents any issues from happening than I am cool with it but I doubt that will be the case. I mean why cant I just get a bunch of 1×3's and make the support myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, what’s the legal claim? It’s easy to say “sue sue sue”, but for what?

I get you are upset, but what is the actual suit you’d bring?
It would be very difficult to get anything unless it actually fails. No different than defects in a car engine or transmission. You wait till it fails, or they may extend your warranty.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I witnessed this first hand with a 2 year old 750, there is at least an 1/8" gap between the tank and the top board. I wouldn't be surprised that there are a lot more than they're suggesting. It's just the matter of owners being made aware.

I hope that this thread doesn't get removed from the "trending" section as I normally see in true R2R fashion, anytime there's something that negatively affects a sponsor or the site it'll get knocked off and buried.

This is a complete and total fabrication and it offends me very much. This has NEVER happened and I ask that you retract your statement. This is a slam against me and my team and it false information. Ugh....

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be very difficult to get anything unless it actually fails. No different than defects in a car engine or transmission. You wait till it fails, or they may extend your warranty.

Cars have lemon laws. If someone feels they want to go after the manufacture in court there is nothing stopping them. How about we get back on topic and stop playing peoples court.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about that ..... as somebody that worked for a cabinetmaker as a student (a long time ago) I have always been horrified at the cludgy and insubstantial nature of so many of these commercial stands .... and mostly found comical that tank warranties are void if you don’t use said stands. I’m a charter member of overbuilers anonymous; I simply will not sleep well if my stand isn't absolutely resolute and the floor completely deflection proof.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about that ..... as somebody that worked for a cabinetmaker as a student (a long time ago) I have always been horrified at the cludgy and insubstantial nature of so many of these commercial stands .... and mostly found comical that tank warranties are void if you don’t use said stands. I’m a charter member of overbuilers anonymous; I simply will not sleep well if my stand isn't absolutely resolute and the floor completely deflection proof.
Thats exactly why I have a welded metal stand!

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Red Sea, only the reefer 750xxls have the issue, and the paper fitting in doesn’t matter. They’ve also extended the warranty to 3 years on their tanks. So that’s a pretty good response, though I might still make a reinforcement for mine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to Red Sea, only the reefer 750xxls have the issue, and the paper fitting in doesn’t matter. They’ve also extended the warranty to 3 years on their tanks. So that’s a pretty good response, though I might still make a reinforcement for mine.

I guess I'm confused - I thought the paper fitting in thing 'does matter'- and that if you have that and your silicone is 'bubbling' - the tank needs servicing 'immediately' - and that soon (in addition to the warranty) they are also requiring the retrofit?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm confused - I thought the paper fitting in thing 'does matter'- and that if you have that and your silicone is 'bubbling' - the tank needs servicing 'immediately' - and that soon (in addition to the warranty) they are also requiring the retrofit?

According to the email I just received, “The fact someone can slide a piece of paper under the glass is irrelevant, although some people have decided for themselves they would like to make an issue over it on Facebook without being aware of the facts.”

So it sounds like the paper doesn’t show anything.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I did the paper thing on my reefer 170 and it slid through. Very similar to my 750. I personally dont think it means anything.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did the paper thing on my reefer 170 and it slid through. Very similar to my 750. I personally dont think it means anything.

Though on my DIY stand that has a 3/4” plywood top and then the 1/4” foam, one can’t fit in a paper anywhere. Even compression.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though on my DIY stand that has a 3/4” plywood top and then the 1/4” foam, one can’t fit in a paper anywhere. Even compression.

What I noticed is that the foam isn't one solid peice and looks like they are in sections. The thickness of the foam pad is different from.each section. On the thinner peice is where I am able to slide the paper through. It's the exact same on all 3 of my tanks and same issue.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would say something, although I am not experienced in this tank.

Does this aquarium use the same MDF board stand that the RSM C250 would use? I bought a used RSM C250 as my first reef tank, I had no idea what I was buying in terms of the 'All In One' set up. After setting it up I noticed how the stand was, imo, completely inadequate for the weight of the tank, not to mention made of particle board. I just built a new stand from 2x6 2x4 with plywood on top with their foam insert on top of that. I am so much more confident that the stand will hold. And inspecting their stand more just made me uneasy at how flimsy it all seemed.

I cannot believe they would make this large of a tank on MDF. Just my thoughts, hope everyone affected is doing alright!

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would say something, although I am not experienced in this tank.

Does this aquarium use the same MDF board stand that the RSM C250 would use? I bought a used RSM C250 as my first reef tank, I had no idea what I was buying in terms of the 'All In One' set up. After setting it up I noticed how the stand was, imo, completely inadequate for the weight of the tank, not to mention made of particle board. I just built a new stand from 2x6 2x4 with plywood on top with their foam insert on top of that. I am so much more confident that the stand will hold. And inspecting their stand more just made me uneasy at how flimsy it all seemed.

I cannot believe they would make this large of a tank on MDF. Just my thoughts, hope everyone affected is doing alright!

Big ones are plywood, not MDF (is my understanding).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to the email I just received, “The fact someone can slide a piece of paper under the glass is irrelevant, although some people have decided for themselves they would like to make an issue over it on Facebook without being aware of the facts.”

So it sounds like the paper doesn’t show anything.
Here is part of a letter from my LFS (From Red Sea):

As you may already be aware there have been a number of cases where the bottom front seal of the XXL750 has opened, causing a failure of the tank. Most of the cases have been reported on social media so in parallel with contacting you we have made the following information available.
Apart from a very few specific cases which we will not relate to here, the common issue with the majority of the failures seems to be caused by a gradual sagging of the cabinet top board above the sump, followed by the appearance of air bubbles in the silicone seam at the bottom of the tank. This is not happening to all units of a specific age or production batch and despite the number of reports it is still a relatively small percentage of the number of active systems. As part of our evaluation of the situation we have viewed many units that look exactly as they did the day they were installed.
The sagging can easily be prevented or remedied with the simple addition of a support column that can be retrofitted to the sump compartment of all existing XXL750 and will be incorporated as a standard part of all new XXL750 units that we ship.
The retrofit XXL750 cabinet support column kits are currently in production and will be provided free of charge to all current owners. We will be emailing all customers that have registered their tanks to coordinate shipment of the retrofit kit which should be available in our distribution centers towards the end of October. If you wish to personally take care of your customers please let us know so that we can coordinate this directly with you.
Please note that there have also been reports on social media by a few owners that have noticed a small gap between the bottom of the tank and the top of the cabinet. This is a clear indication of the sagging of the cabinet top board as mentioned above. If there are no air bubbles in the silicone in the area of the gap there is no cause for concern and installing the support column will resolve the problem. If any of your customers report having air bubbles please ask for pictures of the gap and air bubbles and contact our customer support immediately.
Please be aware that as part of our continued commitment and support of our products, we have extended the warranty on the seals of all of our tanks and specifically the XXL750 to 3 years from purchase date for original owners.
We regret the unnecessary stress that this issue is causing many of our dealers and hobbyists and are doing everything possible to resolve it as soon as possible.
We appreciate your continued support.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quoted from the RS release:
“A few owners have reported noticing a gap in between the bottom of the tank in the top of the cabinet. This is a clear indication of the sagging of the cabinet top board as mentioned above.”

In reference to the paper test...the way I understand is that some people are seeing a gap between the tank and stand top. The paper test confirms that gap and is an easier way to show on camera that there is a gap. If I can slide a piece of paper under my my tank, there logically has to be a gap there. And the paper only sliding back so far and stopping would lead me to believe that at some point the tank is making contact with the stand.
Does being able to slide a piece of paper under the tank not always mean there is a gap?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back