RED SEA REEFER 750XXL: Reinforcement updates

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the tank have to be drained to do the retrofit?

I have always looked at those "Ikea" stands and wondered how they can hold up, especially on the larger tanks. I'm glad my stand was shipped intact and fully assembled.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
renters insurance is also a tough one.
Around 2006 a F1 came threw and laid a tree on my new home, power was out for three days lost all the live stock.
I got a new roof, 500 for the spoilage of food but No live stock replacement .
So call your fish sushi and it gets replaced :rolleyes:

Yep - livestock is 'not covered' unless you have some kind of rider, etc. Like lets say you have a peppermint angel

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried the paper test on my 350 and it is not sliding under the tank in any spot along the front. I guess I’ll have to keep an eye on that. Mine has been up since April 2018.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the property damage 200 gallons of water causes that most homeowner policies won’t cover (unless you have flood insurance).
This post makes no sense. Flood insurance is for water originating outside the home. My tank is inside.

nimrod19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see Red Sea is owning up. Not really impressed with their customer service based on experience.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the tank have to be drained to do the retrofit?

I have always looked at those "Ikea" stands and wondered how they can hold up, especially on the larger tanks. I'm glad my stand was shipped intact and fully assembled.

I doubt it. If it does I will be contacting a lawyer and will be getting a regular tank like I wanted in the first place.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with my luck my tank has been up and running since june of 2017. It will start leaking before the braces come out. Does anyone ok now what they look like? I dont plan on waiting another month.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it. If it does I will be contacting a lawyer and will be getting a regular tank like I wanted in the first place.

To get rid of the sagging and support the tank, I am sure weight must be relieved.
Drain tank, add support; refill. That’s my guess.

The more likely outcome is that they end up replacing stands when/if their “modification” doesn’t work- that’s the typical timeline of such issues. Acknowledge, release a small “fix”, recall/replace.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get rid of the sagging and support the tank, I am sure weight must be relieved.
Drain tank, add support; refill. That’s my guess.

The more likely outcome is that they end up replacing stands when/if their “modification” doesn’t work- that’s the typical timeline of such issues. Acknowledge, release a small “fix”, recall/replace.

To me that seems crazy. If I have to drain my tank I might as while toss it to the curb and get something that wont cause Niagara Falls. Personally I would be looking for my money back. I wonder if there are any lawyers on here willing to lay out potential options for a lawsuit.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How am I supposed to drain this tank and keep everything alive? Including the fish that are no doubt going to dart in the rocks and suffocate. What a joke.

15698915514768788755105458973271.jpg

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this just shows that you can't trust shoddy plywood stands when it comes to large aquariums. In no world does the word 'quality' and 'plywood' belong in the same sentence, especially when we're talking about an aquarium that can weigh over 1000 pounds or more when wet.

Currently own a reefer 350 and have already had several problems with the build quality on the stand, namely foam pads that weren't even the same thickness, causing the tank to sag on the corners.

Next large aquarium I get is going to have a custom built steel frame stand so I don't have to deal with this nonsense. Maybe even custom built glass as well and be done with these manufacturers.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I cannot imagine draining being required.

How would you lift a sagging panel to add a support? Using a jack or something like that seems like it would put a lot of stress in one spot while lifting. I assume the repair is just a fixed length piece of stand material going between the top rail and bottom of stand.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How am I supposed to drain this tank and keep everything alive? Including the fish that are no doubt going to dart in the rocks and suffocate. What a joke.

Calm down and wait and see what they say. If you have to CALL Red Sea. Getting wound up over something now with no details and just speculation isn’t helping you or anyone else.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is exactly what I don’t understand about the fix? How is the brace going to be installed properly to make a difference. Red Sea made another statement saying only the 750 was affected not the smaller tanks as only the 750 has the longest unsupported length. I just don’t understand how the are going to put up a brace where everyone has their sump? Either way I can’t think of a way that wouldn’t require emptying the sump or Tank or both in order to fix the issue. Also I know Red Sea is stepping up - but they should be offering refunds for anyone with a issue if they don’t want to do the fix they are offering. If I had to empty my tank it sure wouldn’t be to fix it - it would de to replace it. In addition the after market value on the 750 is going to fall. Just think a refund should be part of the available options.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back