Red Sea Reefer Nano

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been out of the hobby for quite some time! My last tank was 6 years ago when I had a 34 gallon Solana (20” cube), but unfortunately when I moved to SF I wasn’t able to have a tank (no car, no LFS = no tank). I kept following Reef forums and I would do Google Sketch-up drawings of dream tanks, make ideal equipment lists, stock lists, etc. and I even went as far as learning how to drill tanks, plumb them, etc. even though I knew I couldn’t have a tank. Recently, however, I settled down in a new place and the passion to get back into the hobby was back and my beautiful fiancee was supportive (she’s always appreciated my inner marine nerd).

Once I had the green light, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the right tank. I’m still renting so I can’t go for anything big (I’d love to do a drop off tank or large shallow lagoon one day) and although the IM tanks look cool, I really wanted a sump this time around to obfuscate as much equipment as possible while making the equipment easily accessible to tinker/clean/etc. There are very limited options for nano-sized reef ready tanks that are already plumbed for a sump setup. Ultimately it came down to Red Sea Reefer Nano vs. Elos Mini. I couldn’t justify the Elos Mini cost vs. what it offered so I went with the Reefer Nano (loving my decision so far if you’re curious).

Tank
  • Red Sea Reefer Nano
  • 18”x18”x18”
  • 28 gallons (21 in display, 7 in sump)

Lighting
  • AI Hydra 26 w/ AI mounting kit
  • Kessil H80 Tuna Flora (Refugium light)

Circulation
  • Sicce Syncra 2.0 return pump
  • (2x) Vortech MP10 w/ Reeflink

Filtration

• Eshopps X-120 Axium w/ co2 scrubber reactor for air intake
  • In-sump refugium

Other
  • Neptune Systems Apex controller
  • Neo-therm 75W heater
  • Trigger Systems Ruby 5g ATO reservoir (Tunze Nano Osmolater)
  • ~18 pounds of dry reef rock seeded with a couple pounds of live rock
  • ~25 pounds of CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand

Some reflective thoughts early on:
  • I’d say the only thing I’m missing from the Reefer Nano is that I’d love to have a bigger refugium. Sometimes staring into them is almost as interesting as looking at the display tank. My dream fish is a Mandarin and a healthy pod population is essential for them so this is one of the reasons why I’m particularly obsessed with refugiums.
  • Loving my first sump, but the extra convenience of what you can do with your equipment comes at the price of worrying about leaks, power outages, and having multiple failure points (return pump, plumbing leak, etc.). I don’t think I’ll go back to AIO tanks, but sumps aren’t as dreamy as I made them out to be in my head.
  • This is my first venture in LED light and I absolutely love my AI Hydra (especially the app / web interface). Same can be said for the Vortech/Reeflink setup although I’ve used Vortechs in the past as well. This is my first time with a top tier controller (I’ve had a AC JR in the past). The price jump to the Apex is steep, but I understand the ROI now and I don’t think I’d go back to a smaller controller again unless Neptune released other wifi ready controllers. The web/mobile interface is amazing and gives great piece of mind. I’m also loving having the probes (although I’ve struggled a bit with trusting the salinity probe) and being able to monitor the relationships of ORP vs. pH as well as temperature vs. perceived salinity. I have a couple of vacations this year and Apex gives me the confidence that my tank can run on auto-pilot in my absence (I lost a frag tank in college from an ATO nightmare).
  • Patience is a virtue. I worked at a great LFS through all of college and was mentored by a number of passionate & wise reef hobbyists and still I fell victim to moving too fast with this tank. It’s so hard to fight that urge when you get excited. I’m not proud to say this, but I didn’t wait for my tank to fully cycle before adding in livestock. I really hope for future tanks I can be more mature about this and give into the urge for that instant gratification.
  • I never had a pH probe before so I didn't obsess about it until now and since mine was low (mid 7s), I kept exploring ways to raise pH. Running my protein skimmer airline outside isn't an option since I rent. Then I looked into CO2 scrubbers by BulkReefSupply. It's essentially a reactor you run your protein skimmer tubing into that houses CO2 absorbing media balls that change color with use. The downside I read was it runs through the media quickly and it's fairly expensive to replace. $50 for the media and it does 7 refills and I've read the media last 2 weeks so ~$15 a month. Not ideal but I figured it was worth a try. I hooked it up to my Axium X-120 skimmer yesterday (I put the canister behind the stand with the air tubing running to it) and well, it definitely works. I stay between 7.8 - 8.0 now.
  • All of my favorite tanks are SPS heavy and naturally I thought that’s the direction I would want to go with this tank. I’m having second thoughts after having set up the tank however. There’s definitely an allure to the low maintenance world of LPS, softies, zoas, etc. especially since they can deliver the color diversity to give the tank that look that pops. I’m not afraid of work - I plan to do weekly 10% water changes, clean the glass every other day, rigorously test my water, change out reactor media, clean pumps, probes, etc., but I like that I wouldn't have to stress constantly about my calcium, alk, etc. levels. It also kind of sucks that SPS is so expensive and grows so slowly. I would probably want to get small colonies, but having a $200 mini-colony creates that water quality stress. We’ll see how it evolves, right now I have a couple of acroporas, a small millepora colony, a montipora cap, a torch coral, two different zoanthids, and some ricordia.
  • My thoughts on livestock with regards to the fish have also changed since tank conception. As I mentioned previously, my dream fish is a Mandarin. After my tank is more established and I’ve seeded a copepod population, I would consider getting a captive bred Algae Barn Mandarin that is already eats frozen foods. To do that responsibly, I wouldn’t want to get any other fish that also consumes pods such as a wrasse which was the next fish I was considering (six-line or leopard) or midas blenny (I’ve always found their personalities so fun). We’ll see - I’m open to suggestions, but I don’t want to overstock or introduce anything aggressive.

There’s not much to see yet, but I posted a picture below of my current setup. I really wanted to implement a clean cable management system, but given the sump is the exact same size as the tank I’m really limited on my options.

mAuubyQ.jpg

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. Looks like those time thinking about what u like paid off. See you have nice setup to leave more time enjoying the hobby.

Curious how you like MP10 w/ Reeflink? In your opinion what extra value does it bring besides wireless.

I currently have 1 MP10 in each of the 2 nano tanks and considering adding a 2nd to the larger as I like how controllable it is versus others in the market currently for nano size.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. Looks like those time thinking about what u like paid off. See you have nice setup to leave more time enjoying the hobby.

Curious how you like MP10 w/ Reeflink? In your opinion what extra value does it bring besides wireless.

I currently have 1 MP10 in each of the 2 nano tanks and considering adding a 2nd to the larger as I like how controllable it is versus others in the market currently for nano size.

Thanks! I really like the Reeflink. It's a bit pricey for the limited application, but with 2 MP10s it's definitely creates more value. I haven't spent the time to understand the sync/slave modes to fully utilize it, but I like being able to set up the schedules (I have them run in different modes/power to try and create random flow) and I also like of being able to control it remotely.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, looks clean and shape.

Good luck with not going sps dominate, you're a stronger person than I. I make the same plan to keep it simple every tank and I always go sps, the force is strong!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank, this tank is on my short list. I already have a AI Prime HD two Build My Leds 18'' and a Kessil 160, so I have the lighting down, I am just not sure which light I will use. Your AI 26 is a very nice light.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank, looks clean and shape.

Good luck with not going sps dominate, you're a stronger person than I. I make the same plan to keep it simple every tank and I always go sps, the force is strong!

Haha I'm eating my words on this. Every time I look for new coral to add it's SPS :)

Nice tank, this tank is on my short list. I already have a AI Prime HD two Build My Leds 18'' and a Kessil 160, so I have the lighting down, I am just not sure which light I will use. Your AI 26 is a very nice light.

Thank you! I'm a fan of the light. If I started the tank over today I'd buy it again.

very nice

Thanks!

It's been two months since my last post. I'll take another FTS soon, but here are some updates:
  • The Kessil H80 Tuna Flora in my sump has worked like a charm with the chaeto I have in there. I was running GFO (which was a PITA) and had a tiny bit of cyano in the display, but after adding the mini refugium there hasn't been any algae in the display tank and I don't need the GFO anymore. The chaeto isn't growing very quickly, but it looks healthy (deep green color) and it's doing the trick with starving the display tank's algae.
  • My SPS coloring is...okay. My big pink mille colony is growing well, but the color is not as deep as I would like. My first thought was 'more light!' and I even got close to buying a Kessil 160 to supplement my Hydra, but I thankfully decided to focus on getting my water chemistry perfect before going that route. The CO2 scrubber has helped a lot, but I've been dosing 2-part daily for the past month and my calcium & dKH are getting close to where I'd like them to be. Calcium is at 410, dKH is at 6.5 and I'm aiming for 425 & 8 respectively. If the coloring doesn't pick up after I've achieved those levels I might re-consider adding the kessil ;Greedy I also ordered a magnesium test kit to round out the chemistry I'm aiming for.
  • Speaking of spending unnecessary money, dosing every day has been a bit of a chore. I also don't like that the dosing isn't spread out across the day. Unfortunately there aren't many affordable dosing options and I'm not even sure where I'd put it if I got one (practically zero open real estate in the Red Sea Reefer Nano sump). I'm going to punt on buying anything here for a month.
  • I did a lot of up front planning with my rock work and coral placement and I'm really glad I did. Since I haven't had to move the corals, the SPS has encrusted on their surrounding rock work and the zoas have started to spread as well. I'll definitely do this in the future as well.
  • I added a Helfrichi Firefish and might add another fish as well. With my oversized skimmer for the tank and the refugium, I was concerned the tank might be overly starved for nutrients. Given I only have a pair of clowns I figured adding more of a bioload would be a good idea as I'll be feeding the tank more.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of my sump:
57sl1L7.jpg

I wish I could do more with cord organization, but all these cables run to my Apex in a cabinet next to the stand so they barely reach as-is. One of the downsides of the Red Sea Reefer Nano is that the stand allows for no space outside of the sump itself. The cables are comprised of:
  • Kessil H80 Tuna Flora (Refugium light)
  • Sicce Syncra 2.0 return pump
  • Eshopps X-120 Axium w/ co2 scrubber reactor for air intake
  • Cobalt Neo-therm 75W heater
  • Tunze Nano Osmolater sensor + water pump outlet
  • Apex salinity, pH, ORP, and temp probes

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question? I have the same tank and I would like to add a Fudge, your instillation looks good, could you send me or post additional details on how you installed it?

Regards

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thank you. As you said that you are looking to grow Copepods is this configurtion working well for you. I am looking to have several Dragonets and this would be a big help for me.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thank you. As you said that you are looking to grow Copepods is this configurtion working well for you. I am looking to have several Dragonets and this would be a big help for me.

Let me start by saying Mandarins are my favorite fish in the world so I definitely see where you're coming from. I really wanted to have one for this tank. I also worked at a local fish store in college for years so I'm well aware of their eating issues (along with scooter blennies). With my setup, I haven't been thrilled with the pod population. When I inspect the chaeto, I see some, but they're not everywhere. If I were optimizing for pods, I'd do a sand bed in the refugium or I'd do the ATO tank mod where people turn those ATO tanks into plumbed refugiums. If you went this route and had no other pod eating fish in the tank, maybe?

tl;dr Unless your dragonet is already eating prepared foods, I don't think this refugium setup is sufficient. Sorry.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying Mandarins are my favorite fish in the world so I definitely see where you're coming from. I really wanted to have one for this tank. I also worked at a local fish store in college for years so I'm well aware of their eating issues (along with scooter blennies). With my setup, I haven't been thrilled with the pod population. When I inspect the chaeto, I see some, but they're not everywhere. If I were optimizing for pods, I'd do a sand bed in the refugium or I'd do the ATO tank mod where people turn those ATO tanks into plumbed refugiums. If you went this route and had no other pod eating fish in the tank, maybe?

tl;dr Unless your dragonet is already eating prepared foods, I don't think this refugium setup is sufficient. Sorry.
I was looking at the CPR CITR Pro DX In-Tank Refugium with Pump (small), and I was wondering if the addition of a pump and either some sand, maybe mud and a few pieces of rubble might help?

I am concerned about the skimmer sucking up the pods but what else can be done? Not much room in the sump without a complete redesign which is possible but a lot of work.

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the skimmer doing? It seems oversized for your size tank. I was running the BM Curve A5 and I could not get it to skim consistently. I then switched to the AM WS-1 and much happier.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the CPR CITR Pro DX In-Tank Refugium with Pump (small), and I was wondering if the addition of a pump and either some sand, maybe mud and a few pieces of rubble might help?

I am concerned about the skimmer sucking up the pods but what else can be done? Not much room in the sump without a complete redesign which is possible but a lot of work.

I bought the setup that has a pump, but it ended up being too tight of a fit when next to my skimmer. I also contemplated a sump re-design, but decided against it because the stock sump actually utilizes the space pretty well and I really like the fact that the separate chambers keep bubbles to a minimum. Sand + rubble will help, but it will limit the amount of chaeto you can grow. I'd explore the ATO tank refugium modification with the return line going straight into the return section of the sump (bypass filter sock, skimmer, etc.). You can buy an extra tank from Red Sea directly. If you go this route, please document it on a thread so I can follow along :p

How's the skimmer doing? It seems oversized for your size tank. I was running the BM Curve A5 and I could not get it to skim consistently. I then switched to the AM WS-1 and much happier.

I can safely say it's oversized, but I also skim really dry to minimize overskimming. It took months to reach a point where it could be "dialed in", but I'm at a point right now where I can leave it untouched for a week and stays where I need it to (dry or wet). It pulls about half of an inch of brown liquid each week and I feed my tank every other day. There are pineapple sponges in my sump so I know my tank isn't nutrient depleted, but I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about overskimming. Are there ways to know if it's the case other than turning off the skimmer for the week and seeing how the corals respond?

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the setup that has a pump, but it ended up being too tight of a fit when next to my skimmer. I also contemplated a sump re-design, but decided against it because the stock sump actually utilizes the space pretty well and I really like the fact that the separate chambers keep bubbles to a minimum. Sand + rubble will help, but it will limit the amount of chaeto you can grow. I'd explore the ATO tank refugium modification with the return line going straight into the return section of the sump (bypass filter sock, skimmer, etc.). You can buy an extra tank from Red Sea directly. If you go this route, please document it on a thread so I can follow along :p
I have been considering the redesign and I may make one out of cardboard and see if I can make it work.

I have considered using the ATO reservoir as a refugium, it would not be difficult to do, but then I would need to move the ATO reservoir outside of the sump, it would not be the worst option. A small pump would be necessary to lift the water into the refugium (alas another cord to deal with) and matching the outflow to the inflow would be a challenge bit not impossible.

I am going to consider the possibilities tonight and maybe make up a mock-up tomorrow.

Once I have a mock-up I will post some images for feed back, which is always welcome.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering the redesign and I may make one out of cardboard and see if I can make it work.

I have considered using the ATO reservoir as a refugium, it would not be difficult to do, but then I would need to move the ATO reservoir outside of the sump, it would not be the worst option. A small pump would be necessary to lift the water into the refugium (alas another cord to deal with) and matching the outflow to the inflow would be a challenge bit not impossible.

I am going to consider the possibilities tonight and maybe make up a mock-up tomorrow.

Once I have a mock-up I will post some images for feed back, which is always welcome.

I had the same concerns about the ATO tank refugium. Another pump, another wire, another thing to worry about (what if the outflow becomes clogged?). That's why I went with my current low risk route. If I re-did the tank aiming for a pod haven, I would have ditched the skimmer and converted the main area of the sump to one big refugium with a sand bed, tons of rubble rock, and a really nice Kessil H380. I'd love to see the mock-up!

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same concerns about the ATO tank refugium. Another pump, another wire, another thing to worry about (what if the outflow becomes clogged?). That's why I went with my current low risk route. If I re-did the tank aiming for a pod haven, I would have ditched the skimmer and converted the main area of the sump to one big refugium with a sand bed, tons of rubble rock, and a really nice Kessil H380. I'd love to see the mock-up!
It would be easy enough to make a refugium out of plastic the same size as the ATO reservoir (maybe a bit bigger), then I could make an overflow just in case the output tube clogged.

Anyway I have a few ideas and a cardboard mock-up is pretty much free to make. If I get board tomorrow I will tape something together.

Hughesy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, watching this thread closely :).

I'm in the process of setting up my own reefer nano with much of same equipment as yourself.

Keen to hear what schedule you're running on your hydra if you'd be so kind to share...

You're also pretty positive on the impact (from a nutrient reduction perspective) of the kessil powered rwfugium. I've purchased an aqua medic multi reactor (similar to the innovative marine ones by design) to run GFO etc but sounds like this may only be required in the short term/backup phosphate reduction method?

What are you using for calc/alk/trace element dosing? Have you considered triton?

Many thanks in advance and thanks for sharing your build.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back