Red Sea Reefer Nano

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yea I don't have any reefing friends unfortunately. Maybe I'll post it for free in the buy and sell section.

Have you tried carbon and filter socks? For me using the two of them in combination always keeps my water clear.

Yes, I tried that for a couple of weeks, no luck.

firedancer414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread! I just started a Reefer 170 and really wanted a large fuge, ended up setting it up by splitting the main reactor sump compartment into a skimmer / fuge section (4 gallons). Didn't even think that the Tunze 9004 could fit in the back drain compartment, now I'm wondering if I want to remove the small wall and do what you did. What do you think?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brians-red-sea-reefer-170-build.365178/#post-4517412

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestion, as of this morning 03/05/2018 9:00 am CST the tank is still cloudy but it is improving. I may turn on the Skimmer again for a day or two before adding a sock to see what will happen.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread! I just started a Reefer 170 and really wanted a large fuge, ended up setting it up by splitting the main reactor sump compartment into a skimmer / fuge section (4 gallons). Didn't even think that the Tunze 9004 could fit in the back drain compartment, now I'm wondering if I want to remove the small wall and do what you did. What do you think?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brians-red-sea-reefer-170-build.365178/#post-4517412

The fact that the Tunze 9004 could fit in that chamber without any modifications needed was definitely a surprise to me. I too wanted to maximize refugium real estate especially since I have a H380 so I stared at that first chamber and thought "I wonder if...". It's snug, but it works and I love it. I have a massive area for chaeto to grow now and I'm currently trimming it in half every week which is crazy!

Thank you for the suggestion, as of this morning 03/05/2018 9:00 am CST the tank is still cloudy but it is improving. I may turn on the Skimmer again for a day or two before adding a sock to see what will happen.

Good to hear it's getting better! Keep me updated :)

firedancer414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, ripped apart my tank and basically did what you did and now have a 6 gallon fuge (~15% tank vol). I ripped out some of the parts I don't intend to use (the old ATO float, the filter sock thingy). Got my new ATO today. Chaeto comes tomorrow. Also - I'm in Burlingame, just noticed that you're up in North Bay. The ATO reservoir is in a temp location.

IMG_4740.JPG

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, ripped apart my tank and basically did what you did and now have a 6 gallon fuge (~15% tank vol). I ripped out some of the parts I don't intend to use (the old ATO float, the filter sock thingy). Got my new ATO today. Chaeto comes tomorrow. Also - I'm in Burlingame, just noticed that you're up in North Bay. The ATO reservoir is in a temp location.

IMG_4740.JPG

Nice! I had no idea you were in Burlingame. If you work in the city like I do, I could have given you a huge chunk of chaeto for free. One of the best side effects of the big fuge is the pH levels stay solid during the night instead of having big swings.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Female Biota Mandarin has been doing very well (especially since I set up a Mandarin diner for her) so I decided she should have a mate. Today I received a male baby Mandarin and he's already eating prepared foods :D I have him in my CPR in-tank refugium (which I don't use anymore) as a temporary place to keep an eye on him and make sure he gets targeted feedings every day. Here's a video:

nicholas.babb@gmail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow bay Area Red Sea reefer 170 owner here (mines currently still out for delivery). How did you separate the drain section from the fuge? Install acrylic baffles?

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow bay Area Red Sea reefer 170 owner here (mines currently still out for delivery). How did you separate the drain section from the fuge? Install acrylic baffles?

Awesome to hear there's another Bay Area Red Sea Reefer on the way! I didn't actually modify my sump to facilitate the fuge. The Tunze skimmer naturally fits (just barely) in the first chamber the overflow pipes are in. Water then flows through the filter sock and into the fuge, which is the main chamber. From the fuge, water flows into the baffles (where I keep my carbon + heater) before reaching the return chamber. I haven't had any issues of chaeto getting into the return chamber, but I could add a little eggcrate fence on the final baffles if it becomes a problem.

firedancer414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to hear there's another Bay Area Red Sea Reefer on the way! I didn't actually modify my sump to facilitate the fuge. The Tunze skimmer naturally fits (just barely) in the first chamber the overflow pipes are in. Water then flows through the filter sock and into the fuge, which is the main chamber. From the fuge, water flows into the baffles (where I keep my carbon + heater) before reaching the return chamber. I haven't had any issues of chaeto getting into the return chamber, but I could add a little eggcrate fence on the final baffles if it becomes a problem.

+1 - I don't think changing the sump is necessary. I added that black piece of acrylic 1) to make a weir to prevent algae and gunk from going into the return (there is also a piece of mesh between the glass in the bubble trap to prevent gunk from getting in there), and 2) to prevent light from the H380 from getting into the return and making a ton of algae there. But I don't think it's necessary - like demeyer2 said you should be fine.

IMG_0665.JPG

nicholas.babb@gmail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - I don't think changing the sump is necessary. I added that black piece of acrylic 1) to make a weir to prevent algae and gunk from going into the return (there is also a piece of mesh between the glass in the bubble trap to prevent gunk from getting in there), and 2) to prevent light from the H380 from getting into the return and making a ton of algae there. But I don't think it's necessary - like demeyer2 said you should be fine.

IMG_0665.JPG

Excellent. Thanks guys. I was hoping to install some acrylic to increase water depth but it seems like small returns for the work. Anyway, starting my build thread soon.

Thoughts on the Tunze 9004?

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thanks guys. I was hoping to install some acrylic to increase water depth but it seems like small returns for the work. Anyway, starting my build thread soon.

Thoughts on the Tunze 9004?

I'm prioritizing fuge size over skimmer power for this setup. My previous Axium X-120 definitely produced more skimmate, but it took up the majority of the main compartment so it's not really apple to apples. The 9004 fitting in that tiny compartment is the big benefit in my opinion. I will say the 9004 generates a decent amount of brown liquid skimmate and the neck and base of the collection cup are usually a thick sludge. I posted an updated pick of my sump below. I currently have 3 macroalgaes in there. The looser chaeto on the left grows like crazy and I have to trim it in half every week. The thicker chaeto on the right grows much more slowly, but given its structure it's a pod haven. Ignore the water level label - it's my fill line during a water change when my return pump is off.
crUl0Oh.jpg

nicholas.babb@gmail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm prioritizing fuge size over skimmer power for this setup. My previous Axium X-120 definitely produced more skimmate, but it took up the majority of the main compartment so it's not really apple to apples. The 9004 fitting in that tiny compartment is the big benefit in my opinion. I will say the 9004 generates a decent amount of brown liquid skimmate and the neck and base of the collection cup are usually a thick sludge. I posted an updated pick of my sump below. I currently have 3 macroalgaes in there. The looser chaeto on the left grows like crazy and I have to trim it in half every week. The thicker chaeto on the right grows much more slowly, but given its structure it's a pod haven. Ignore the water level label - it's my fill line during a water change when my return pump is off.
crUl0Oh.jpg

Might be contacting you for some chaeto in a week or two... :)

Nano_PB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of my sump:
57sl1L7.jpg

I wish I could do more with cord organization, but all these cables run to my Apex in a cabinet next to the stand so they barely reach as-is. One of the downsides of the Red Sea Reefer Nano is that the stand allows for no space outside of the sump itself. The cables are comprised of:
  • Kessil H80 Tuna Flora (Refugium light)
  • Sicce Syncra 2.0 return pump
  • Eshopps X-120 Axium w/ co2 scrubber reactor for air intake
  • Cobalt Neo-therm 75W heater
  • Tunze Nano Osmolater sensor + water pump outlet
  • Apex salinity, pH, ORP, and temp probes
Great build! Been following along and ended up purchasing my Reefer Nano from Neptune in San Jose. Question for you - did you have to swap the return nozzle on the Sicce Syncra 2.0 to connect with the return pump tube that came with the system (green one)? I am assembling all my equipment and found that the two nozzles that came with the sicce are too large for it.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be contacting you for some chaeto in a week or two... :)

Let me know. I work downtown near the Montgomery BART station and I could always bring a bag in.

Great build! Been following along and ended up purchasing my Reefer Nano from Neptune in San Jose. Question for you - did you have to swap the return nozzle on the Sicce Syncra 2.0 to connect with the return pump tube that came with the system (green one)? I am assembling all my equipment and found that the two nozzles that came with the sicce are too large for it.

Thanks! Neptune is a great store. I really wish I lived closer and could go more often. As for the Sicce 2.0, I didn't buy any custom adapter or tubing. I heated a bowl of water to near boiling temperature, put the tubing in it until it became very pliable, and then I was able to fit it around the Sicce nozzle. Good luck!

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the magnets to hold the tunze in place? I would like to do the same with my 170 as I want more space in the sump area and not have the area taken up fully by a skimmer.

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the magnets to hold the tunze in place? I would like to do the same with my 170 as I want more space in the sump area and not have the area taken up fully by a skimmer.

Originally yes, but I removed them as I wasn't sure if the magnets should get wet or not. Now I have the skimmer standing on some plastic hot pads I cut up to adjust the height. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Sili...e=UTF8&qid=1523898951&sr=1-4&keywords=hot+pad

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally yes, but I removed them as I wasn't sure if the magnets should get wet or not. Now I have the skimmer standing on some plastic hot pads I cut up to adjust the height. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Sili...e=UTF8&qid=1523898951&sr=1-4&keywords=hot+pad
Awesome thanks.

I am doing the same as you have done, your thread gave me the idea as I wasn't happy with using the main space for just a skimmer and not much else, but also wasn't sure about the magnets long term submerged.

firedancer414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about this too, and wedged it between / stood it on top of egg crate

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0665.JPG

How and where did you have that acrylic done? How much does it cost? I’m wanting to get this too for my fuge.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back