Red Sea reefer or water box?

marena1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s everyone’s opinions? Looking into buying a new system and I want some feedback. Red Sea reefer 250, Red Sea max, or maybe water box? Let me know!

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my reefer 250! I did have a small issue with silicone and possible becoming a problem down the road and Red Sea stepped up and sent me a new one. That could happen on any of these Chinese made tanks but how it’s handled speaks loudly. If you register with RS you have a 3 year warranty IDK what WB’s warranty is. They are so similar it’s hard to pick go with the best deal on the size you want. And if you go Red Sea get a 350. Trust me they fill up too fast. Here is a nice glaring picture of my tank

Attachments

• 4AA92882-B3A6-470B-A7E7-C1792815A20C.jpeg
    4AA92882-B3A6-470B-A7E7-C1792815A20C.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 8852EFE9-67E6-4F4D-859F-49635AC2B07B.jpeg
    8852EFE9-67E6-4F4D-859F-49635AC2B07B.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 130

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a waterbox, add an additional 3-4 weeks to their quoted time to be safe. lol

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am on the fence, my next tank will be when I purchase a house, and I have not decided if I will go branded or completely custom.

Chris1081

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a waterbox 90.3 and its amazing system. But then again I am used to just regular tanks or small AIO. It did take like 2 months to get it from when I ordered.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided my next tank will either be a Cade or Red Sea, but not WB again.

OP
OP
M

marena1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am on the fence, my next tank will be when I purchase a house, and I have not decided if I will go branded or completely custom.
I did custom currently and wishing I find myself wishing I went with a branded afterwards.

OP
OP
M

marena1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my reefer 250! I did have a small issue with silicone and possible becoming a problem down the road and Red Sea stepped up and sent me a new one. That could happen on any of these Chinese made tanks but how it’s handled speaks loudly. If you register with RS you have a 3 year warranty IDK what WB’s warranty is. They are so similar it’s hard to pick go with the best deal on the size you want. And if you go Red Sea get a 350. Trust me they fill up too fast. Here is a nice glaring picture of my tank
This is super good to know because I was on the fence about getting a 250 or 350. I currently have a 90 gallon but was hoping to down size a little.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you not like your water box?
I don’t like their lack of communication and information. There’s a whole story behind it all. Based on my experience, I’m willing to try something else in the future that will make me more excited to receive a big purchase. :)

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither. Planet Aquariums. Custom Build. Build your own stand. You'll thank me later.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't even think about a Red Sea Max unless you're heavily into DIY projects. Red Sea stopped making them (and supporting them) about five years ago, and it's just such a hassle getting spare parts anymore. I bought a used RSM 250 in January, and it's certainly a good-looking tank with the matching stand (I have the original with curved corners), but it suffers from design flaws and operational challenges. The tank runs hot, and you really need the water cooling fans or a chiller to be operational during the summer. Unfortunately, water cooling fan units are impossible to find -- I had to buy a huge lot off of eBay for mine -- and the original skimmer pump dumps excess heat in the tank. I no longer use a heater in mine, and it's still a constant 26-28C.

I've now brought my money pit up to a decent operational level, but I'm up to about twice the price of the original unit ($600 CAD) with upgrades. That's still about a thousand bucks cheaper than an equivalent Reefer or Waterbox where I am, but it's come with hassles galore.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a small issue with silicone and possible becoming a problem down the road and Red Sea stepped up and sent me a new one.

Red Sea tanks are made in China, mass produced.

They spent 3 weeks on a cargo ship bouncing up and down inside their shipping crate everytime the cargo ship bounces on an ocean wave.

Seems are already stressed when you receive it.

IMO get a custom tank built in the USA. Some great Mfgrs in Florida, Texas, Tennessee

Seamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to replace my Reefer 750. Despite having installed Red Sea's "fix" in late 2019, the seal is separating in the front. It is an acknowledged design flaw on their part, but their customer service is not being helpful. Their new tanks may not have an issue, but I won't buy again from a company that doesn't stand behind what they know to be a defective product.

RicanKing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't even think about a Red Sea Max unless you're heavily into DIY projects. Red Sea stopped making them (and supporting them) about five years ago, and it's just such a hassle getting spare parts anymore. I bought a used RSM 250 in January, and it's certainly a good-looking tank with the matching stand (I have the original with curved corners), but it suffers from design flaws and operational challenges. The tank runs hot, and you really need the water cooling fans or a chiller to be operational during the summer. Unfortunately, water cooling fan units are impossible to find -- I had to buy a huge lot off of eBay for mine -- and the original skimmer pump dumps excess heat in the tank. I no longer use a heater in mine, and it's still a constant 26-28C.

I've now brought my money pit up to a decent operational level, but I'm up to about twice the price of the original unit ($600 CAD) with upgrades. That's still about a thousand bucks cheaper than an equivalent Reefer or Waterbox where I am, but it's come with hassles galore.
Very true I have a RSM 250 and I replaced both pumps and the skimmer pump with no heater and I run about 77.3-78.4 room temp is a constant 73*. Contemplating removing the lid and installing a screen and upgrading to LED lighting. Still don't know what to do.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true I have a RSM 250 and I replaced both pumps and the skimmer pump with no heater and I run about 77.3-78.4 room temp is a constant 73*. Contemplating removing the lid and installing a screen and upgrading to LED lighting. Still don't know what to do.
This is the way to go. If you can pick up an undamaged RSM for less than two hundred bucks, replace the equipment, and upgrade to LED lighting...you're still looking at about a $1500 outlay.
I was lucky and bought a whole lot of RSM250 parts off of two different auctions on eBay (and got those water-cooling fans running!), but it's been a hassle.

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of looking for another aquarium to replace my WaterBox 180.5. Overall it has been a good aquarium. But not great. The lack of a euro-bracing definitely shows that the front glass has a noticeable curve when the aquarium is filled. This also results in my fish causing water to splash up and over the glass. The doors and cabinets are always wet. There are other little things such as the silicon seals not being perfect that annoy me. So for me it's a custom aquarium. But with that being said it has and still is serving it's purpose.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been very happy with my waterbox and wouldn’t hesitate to get another. After the Red Sea stand and leak drama with their somewhat lacking if not shady response at 1st I wouldn’t get them.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back