Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650 Deluxe

bebaugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 2 months since I placed my order for the peninsula 650 deluxe and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered but I figured I start the build thread now. I've ripped out the 1980's lattice separating rooms, changed out the outlet to GFCI on a dedicated circuit, and taped off the footprint of the tank and it's like this space was made for the 650.
IMG_3984.JPG
IMG_3983.JPG

JBJ Artica 1/5HP chiller, Apex, and Vertex Omega 180i skimmer waiting to be used.

fullsizeoutput_304.jpeg

I've also been cycling pukani and tonga shelf dry rock outside in a trash can for the last month and have started experimenting with the aquascape. Not sure the rock in the center will make it to the tank, but this is what I've come up with so far.
IMG_4056.JPG
IMG_4058.JPG
IMG_4052.JPG

OP
OP
bebaugh

bebaugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS thought it was to be delivered to them on the 3rd but it did not show up, so I'm still waiting on it.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah baby! I'm excited to see how the lighting is mounted on the deluxe!

OP
OP
bebaugh

bebaugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah baby! I'm excited to see how the lighting is mounted on the deluxe!

Looks like it's going to be a little longer until we see how the lights are mounted. I ordered and paid for the deluxe but there are no lights in the crate.

MAKeefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 650 is suppose to be here this week. Your location looks very cool and very interesting.

Here's a question I just sent to redsea:

I have a Peninsula 650 arriving this week and I'm trying to figure out which side to mount the doors on but this leads to my question, what is the philosophy to have the water flow in the sump go through the refugium first or before the skimmer?

Any thoughts, y'all?

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 650 is suppose to be here this week. Your location looks very cool and very interesting.

I have a Peninsula 650 arriving this week and I'm trying to figure out which side to mount the doors on but this leads to my question, what is the philosophy to have the water flow in the sump go through the refugium first or before the skimmer?

Any thoughts, y'all?
I'm sure you'll get varied opinions. I prefer the water in the sump flow through the skimmer section first if you're running a refugium. I'm not sure if it makes a big difference, but I'd prefer the skimmer not export pods into the collection cup nor do I want macro algae or crabs/snails/fish breaking off and getting into the skimmer pump or body.

OP
OP
bebaugh

bebaugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the doors on whichever side you put your skimmer is on since that's what you'll probably be accessing the most. I'd prefer it to flow through the skimmer first, but that's not going to happen on my setup as my skimmer (vertex 180) is too big for the large refugium side. The large refugium is only 8.75 inches wide which leaves about 11 inches in the skimmer chamber and I use almost every inch of that. If you go to the small refugium it's 4 inches smaller so 4.75 inches wide with about a 15 inch wide skimmer section.

MAKeefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what are the dimensions of the overflow--if you get a chance--dimensions to the side of it as well? Thanks
I would put the doors on whichever side you put your skimmer is on since that's what you'll probably be accessing the most. I'd prefer it to flow through the skimmer first, but that's not going to happen on my setup as my skimmer (vertex 180) is too big for the large refugium side. The large refugium is only 8.75 inches wide which leaves about 11 inches in the skimmer chamber and I use almost every inch of that. If you go to the small refugium it's 4 inches smaller so 4.75 inches wide with about a 15 inch wide skimmer section.
ey

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts, y'all?

Depending on what nutrient management system you stick to, this will vary.

Generally if you are using a refugium as your main source of nutrient export, you will want it before the skimmer, so it has access to the nutrients coming from the display tank. What ever is not used or absorbed then travels to the skimmer section and can be removed via skimming. This is what the Triton method describes, for example.

If you are using the refugium as a place to stick nuisance animals, to help balance your tank pH or as part of an overall nutrient management system (paired with a media reactor or something else), then you would place the refugium after the skimmer, as then the skimmer is the main part of the filtration system and it will tend to limit the growth of your refugium.

OP
OP
bebaugh

bebaugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what are the dimensions of the overflow--if you get a chance--dimensions to the side of it as well? Thanks

ey
To the left and right of the overflow there's 6 11/16 inches. The inside of the overflow is 9 7/8 x 3 1/2 inches. The outside dimensions of the overflow are 10 3/8 x 3 3/4 inches.

MAKeefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks--finding out that info has been harder than getting Trump admin info.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back