Red Sea Reefer plumbing creating whirlpool

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi all. I’m leak testing my RSR350 and have been noticing that the primary drain I. The over flow section is creating a whirlpool, sucking in air and creating more noise than I would like. Is this because my return flow (450gph) is too much? It’s hard finding the right level of the overflow because too high would cause water to go in the e-drain, but too low causes too much noise with the whirlpool being created. Do you think I can add an elbow to the e-drain which would allow me to raise the level a bit more to hopefully prevent the whirlpool effect? Thanks!

E0318498-DB11-4955-8C75-3D494904E1AC.jpeg 146CE277-5D51-4FFB-9C0E-9C24EF29A2BC.jpeg 829A0F98-1A33-45EA-8FB2-87804228EEED.jpeg E8B5B150-3C19-4B87-91BD-99D0CA046F8A.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is the water level on the tank side of the weir?

Higher return flow might be the answer if the weir has more capacity to flow. The elbow on the emergency line should work as well.

Good luck.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a DC controlled return pump, bump the flow up a bit. The whirlpool is because your return flow isn't sufficient to raise the water level enough so it won't create a vortex

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
450gph is not high, I ran a 900gph tank on a 425xl with no issues. The valve is very finicky, many recommend upgrading it. You need to dial the tank in so that a tiny trickle is coming through the emergency pipe. That way main overflow will have a constant drain and should be silent, emergency will have a tiny drain and not enough to suck in air.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not put an elbow on the pipe you have it on!!!

That is the emergency overflow pipe. Putting an elbow on that pipe will raise the amount of water it takes to reach the emergency overflow. This is BAD!!

The whirlpool is normal. You make it quieter by adjusting the silencer valve in the tank cabinet.

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ll increase my return flow and see if that helps! I was thinking the opposite. I’m thinking right now the flow back to the sump is too high because the return flow is too high. But I’ll try go up on the flow.
Ive already replaced the Red Sea valve with a gate valve and have tried tuning it. It seems like the quietest I can get it is when just a little trickles down into the emergency drain. I thought putting the 3/4 elbow would allow me to raise the level in the overflow preventing the whirlpool.

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I also would advise you not to use an elbow.

You can also call Red Sea’s support number and ask them for help.
I’m having a hard time understanding why I shouldn’t use an elbow. It would only raise the water level in the over flow about 1/4”. This quarter inch could be all I need to prevent the whirlpool yet, it still would allow for the emergency drain to drain if needed.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a hard time understanding why I shouldn’t use an elbow. It would only raise the water level in the over flow about 1/4”. This quarter inch could be all I need to prevent the whirlpool yet, it still would allow for the emergency drain to drain if needed.

The tank was designed so that the water level shouldn’t get as high as the emergency drain. Do as you like, but it is something I wouldn’t recommend.

You might want to try the Red Sea valve or a different gate valve if you can’t get the water to quiet down. The water level in my overflow is a lot lower than yours and is quiet. I’m nowhere near the level of the emergency overflow.

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The tank was designed so that the water level shouldn’t get as high as the emergency drain. Do as you like, but it is something I wouldn’t recommend.

You might want to try the Red Sea valve or a different gate valve if you can’t get the water to quiet down. The water level in my overflow is a lot lower than yours and is quiet. I’m nowhere near the level of the emergency overflow.
I see. When I do lower the level in the overflow, there is noise from the water in the display falling into the overflow. Does yours make this noise the lower the level is in the overflow?

I read that the Red Sea valve should be replaced with a gate valve so that is what I did before even setting the tank up. Now I feel like any little turn on the gate valve cause such large fluctuations in the overflow. It’s so sensitive! Lol

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. When I do lower the level in the overflow, there is noise from the water in the display falling into the overflow. Does yours make this noise the lower the level is in the overflow?

I read that the Red Sea valve should be replaced with a gate valve so that is what I did before even setting the tank up. Now I feel like any little turn on the gate valve cause such large fluctuations in the overflow. It’s so sensitive! Lol

You mentioned in your opening post that you had the return flow set to 450 gph and the recommended flow listed on their website for the return pump on the Reefer 350 is 790 gph so I think you should increase your flow on your return pump's control to approximately 790 gph.

Remove that elbow like IslandLifeReef mentioned as the tank was not designed to use one and if you turn the valve to the left that will lower the water level in the return. Water should not be going into the emergency overflow which is the smaller opening. If you do a search on R2R's Red Sea forum you will find several posts which recommend that the level should be 1/2 to 1 inch below the emergency overflow which as I previously mentioned is where I have mine set and my tank is very quiet.

II you turn the valve too much to the left the level in the return become very low there will definitely be noise. You replaced the Red Sea valve with a gate valve which should be a little more precise so make very tiny adjustments to it. It takes a few minutes after you turn the valve for the water level in the return to adjust so be patient.

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You mentioned in your opening post that you had the return flow set to 450 gph and the recommended flow listed on their website for the return pump on the Reefer 350 is 790 gph so I think you should increase your flow on your return pump's control to approximately 790 gph.

Remove that elbow like IslandLifeReef mentioned as the tank was not designed to use one and if you turn the valve to the left that will lower the water level in the return. Water should not be going into the emergency overflow which is the smaller opening. If you do a search on R2R's Red Sea forum you will find several posts which recommend that the level should be 1/2 to 1 inch below the emergency overflow which as I previously mentioned is where I have mine set and my tank is very quiet.

II you turn the valve too much to the left the level in the return become very low there will definitely be noise. You replaced the Red Sea valve with a gate valve which should be a little more precise so make very tiny adjustments to it. It takes a few minutes after you turn the valve for the water level in the return to adjust so be patient.
I have also read in a thread here that Red Sea’s recommendation is for the return pump to be rated at 790gph which mean the actually flow would be less due to head pressure loss. That’s a little odd to me too though lol. I’ve been so busy with work that I haven’t gotten around to trying different flows to the return, but I def will today!
And I know the RSR wasn’t designed to have an elbow on the e-drain, but it also wasn’t designed for us to customize the plumbing and switch out the valves ;) Adding the elbow is just meant to give me 1/4” more water level in the over flow before it starts trickling down the e-drain. The elbow isn’t preventing the e-drain from working.
It’s odd that I’m hearing several people say their over flow doesn’t make trickling noises when the level is a little lower. I guess I need to continue to adjust my valve. It’s so tedious o_O
As of now, the quietest I can get the tank is when the level in the overflow is pretty much the same level as the e-drain with water BARELY trickling down that. This way, I’m not getting noises from the water entering the over flow and I’m not getting noises from the water entering the e-drain. The whirlpooling for some reason has seemed to stop occurring so often. I’ll keep experimenting! Thanks for all the help!

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Out of curiosity, what type of return pump are you using?
Varios8. I originally had plans to run a manifold off the return but after only getting a total of 450gph out of the Varios8, I had to get a separate pump for the manifold So I currently just have the Varios8 going to the tank at 3/5 speed giving me 450gph and a Varios6 on 1/5 speed supplying the manifold which currently has a UV sterilizer and a reactor.

Back