Red Sea Reefer thoughts

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay everyone!
I mow some lawns a few times a week and get a few extra bucks. I do it as a hobby, love being outside!

I’ve been just putting all the cash away to buy a new tank!

I’m looking at the Red Sea Reefer XL 525.

I would like an all in one type deal. I truly don’t want to buy everything separate. Knowing my luck, I would buy a sump that was underrated.

Does anyone here own a Red Sea Reefer, or any other all in one style system that can give tips, pointers, or even thoughts on owning one?
When I say all in one system, I mean, when you purchased it, it basically came with everything.

Just shopping around to upgrade my current tank. I focus on LPS mainly. Love my Chalices!

Looking for a tank size of only 100-150. Nothing to big.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all a Reefer is NOT an all in one. It’s a tank, stand and sump.. that’s it.

You need allot more stuff to complete a system.

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see where you needed to add much more too them. No worries, I can do this.

Jrain, what kind of skimmer you running on your tank?

You have the lid netting on top?

Return pump, Looking at the Ecotech Marine Vectra. Anyone own one of these?

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see where you needed to add much more too them. No worries, I can do this.

Jrain, what kind of skimmer you running on your tank?

You have the lid netting on top?

Return pump, Looking at the Ecotech Marine Vectra. Anyone own one of these?
I heard ecotech vetra dont last long. Go with a jebao

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really most of the DC pumps are a great option especially if you are intending to use a controller on you system such as the Apex. I currently run a Reef Octo varios8 as my return and a reef Octo 2000sss skimmer. Take a few days and research the different pumps and with customer reviews. As an antidote, my brother in law had a Vectra that after moving his system the pump malfunctioned; this was a known problem from the batch of pumps, Echotech replaced the pump no problem.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of amazing threads of red sea reefers here. Broadfield started an excellet thread a while back.
I have a 450 and love it, just wish I could have bigger now.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 350 and 750 and very happy with both.

The only thing to change right away is the ATO and the reservoir. Get an osmolator and a separate reservoir and you’ll be set.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other thoughts- Used tank off of craiglist, I snagged a 75 gallon with stand, overflow, full bucket of salt for $150 YMMV, I use a 20 gallon long for a sump $25 at Petco, not sure what you mean an underrated sump? I do have a Reef Octo Skimmer and a Varios 4 pump, another $600. Leaves a lot for lights depending on what you plan to keep. I am not sure what of tank you have now so if you plan to upgrade you might be able to carry over some of the equipment already.

I think the Red Sea tanks look nice but that is a lot of lawn mowing ;)

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the reefer 170 for 3 years now. Since it is my first and only tank I have nothing to compare it to but, that said I really like it. Build quality has been top notch. I really liked the idea of getting a shell (tank and sump) and outfitting it with my own gear.

My only complaint is that with a 40gal tank and sump leaves little room in the cabinet for all the other stuff. At one point I had everything underneath including the doser, powerstrip etc. leaving very little room to fiddle and adjust.

Mixed LPS/SPS
  1. Skimmer: Eshopps Axium 120. Effortless so far. Started with an IceCap which was super finicky and hard to clean. Lasted about a year and a half.
  2. Wave Makers: Jebao PP something-or-others... can't remember model numbers. Turn them on and they work. Plus they haven't stopped working for 3 years.
  3. Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 Pump: Super reliable and nearly silent. It's been running non stop for 3 years now.
  4. Zetlight dosers. I must be the only one who has these but they're great. But, I don't think they make them anymore. Started with a Jebao doser (lasted 3 months) then Coral Box (about a year before breaking).
  5. BRS mini reactor for carbon
  6. stock Red Sea ATO. The only problem I've had with this thing is the small reservoir size. Reliability has been fantastic.
  7. AI prime HD LED.
  8. Lid Netting from artfully acrylic

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input!

My tank is a simple 55 gallon! And it’s packed full of coral. Top to bottom. Three fish! Two Snowflake Clowns and a Christmas Wrasse. I want to try and stick with only Coral!

I run two MP40’s for this tank, overkill,haha.
Two Radions XR30w for this little tank, probably overkill for that too.
My ATO is awesome though, it’s: Ultra Precise Auto Top Off System with Magnetic Probe Holder – LLC-UPLC-ATO-115, well worth the $279 for it.
I run Kalkwasser in the ATO and really don’t ever have any issues with dosing.

I never really needed a sump for this tank, would be great but I didn’t want to cut into this glass for plumbing, or spend anymore than I needed for this little tank. A Canister filter FX4 is currently on it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back