Red Sea Reefer with major leak.

  • Thread starter Thread starter MUTiger
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MUTiger

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2017
Messages
139
Reaction score
51
Location
Kansas City, Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea Reefer 250 sprung a leak in the front bottom seam yesterday. Water was spraying all over the floor. See video below. I had many expensive corals and fish and no back up tank. Fortunately, I was able to sell/rehouse the livestock. The tank was about 5 years old. How could this happen? I thought Red Sea was a high end company.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7408.mov
    24.1 MB
Sorry to hear this... You're not alone with Red Sea seam issue. They know how to market themselves as "high end" but it's not built to that standard.

There's at least one post per week on here about a seam failure on a Red Sea.

In short they use the incorrect silicone and curing process is rushed.
 
Sorry to hear this. RS tanks are garbage but they have a great marketing department. Just search Redsea tank failure and you'll see what I mean.

This is my reefer 170
image.jpg


Im currently watching the seams deteriorate on my reefer 300 and trying to decide on what I want to do.
The silicone that RS uses is the cause of the failure but RS will not admit it and they just keep spewing BS about each generation improvements but have never once stated they have changed the silicone they use.
 
I made a similar post on the Red Sea Group Facebook page. Red Sea immediately took it down. Hide the evidence.
Yes that's also a common experience with many. Gives the illusion there's no issues.
 
My Red Sea Reefer 250 sprung a leak in the front bottom seam yesterday. Water was spraying all over the floor. See video below. I had many expensive corals and fish and no back up tank. Fortunately, I was able to sell/rehouse the livestock. The tank was about 5 years old. How could this happen? I thought Red Sea was a high end company.
200.gif
 
Sorry to hear this... You're not alone with Red Sea seam issue. They know how to market themselves as "high end" but it's not built to that standard.

There's at least one post per week on here about a seam failure on a Red Sea.

In short they use the incorrect silicone and curing process is rushed.
Is it the silicone? Or perhaps the glass thickness and bowing causing stress on the seams? Rimless tanks are structurally not the best choice.
 
I made a similar post on the Red Sea Group Facebook page. Red Sea immediately took it down. Hide the evidence.

Yep that's what they do. Don't bother correcting the problem just deny and try to sweep it under the rug. They're pretty pathetic as companies go.
This is the seams on my reefer 300 that is still under warranty.

The begining
PXL_20250503_150253077.jpg


Recent and the images I sent to RS requesting warranty coverage.
PXL_20260102_155910680~2.jpg


PXL_20260204_003200097.MP~2.jpg


RedSea response to my requests.
Screenshot_20260325-193436.png


Funny thing is someone with the same type of seam failure requested assistance out of warranty and RS responded that the tank was not eligible for warranty but they recommended he empty the tank
shrug-icegif-13.gif
 
I made a similar post on the Red Sea Group Facebook page. Red Sea immediately took it down. Hide the evidence.
Yep that what they do. Don't bother correcting the problem just deny and try to sweep it under the rug. They're pretty pathetic as companies go.
This is the seams on my reefer 300 that is still under warranty.

The begining
PXL_20250503_150253077.jpg


Recent and the images I sent to RS requesting warranty coverage.
PXL_20260102_155910680~2.jpg


PXL_20260204_003200097.MP~2.jpg


RedSea response to my requests.
Screenshot_20260325-193436.png


Funny thing is someone with the same type of seam failure requested assistance out of warranty and RS responded that the tank was not eligible for warranty but they recommended he empty the tank
shrug-icegif-13.gif
They are attractive because its turn key for an affordable price. Problem is it sacrifices quality in key areas. I had considered one and decided not to for numerous reasons, seam failure being a major one.
 
They are attractive because its turn key for an affordable price. Problem is it sacrifices quality in key areas. I had considered one and decided not to for numerous reasons, seam failure being a major one.
Agreed and one of the reasons I ended up with two. They're also usually ready to ship probably because they don't have to wait for the silicone to cure like other companies that use dependable silicone lol. Many retailers also push them. My LFS that services accounts and sets up new systems no longer recommends them. He said he talked to his sales rep about all the failures and he said the rep didn't give him any reply that made him feel confident. He sells a system and it fails and he has to deal with the fall out personally and he said it isn't worth the risk for him.
There are other trust worthy companies that offer plug and play systems. I went with waterbox on my large tank a 330.7 and am happy so far after 2+ years but I've been reading about them being slow to delivery lately and people don't have much patience these days. We want it all and we want it now.
 
I’m getting super scared for my P500 coming up on 2.5 years. I’ve been looking at water box but can’t fully decide. I love peninsula tanks but am torn with a standard. Lots of things are easier that way.
 
I’m getting super scared for my P500 coming up on 2.5 years. I’ve been looking at water box but can’t fully decide. I love peninsula tanks but am torn with a standard. Lots of things are easier that way.

Maybe look at eshopps mariner series. They have some peninsula tanks and all the peninsula have an aluminum framed stand. I've been considering one as a replacement for my reefer 300. It looks like many of the tanks are available for shipping with minimal wait times. Reviews are mostly positive.
 
They are attractive because its turn key for an affordable price. Problem is it sacrifices quality in key areas. I had considered one and decided not to for numerous reasons, seam failure being a major one.
Agreed and one of the reasons I ended up with two. They're also usually ready to ship probably because they don't have to wait for the silicone to cure like other companies that use dependable silicone lol. Many retailers also push them. My LFS that services accounts and sets up new systems no longer recommends them. He said he talked to his sales rep about all the failures and he said the rep didn't give him any reply that made him feel confident. He sells a system and it fails and he has to deal with the fall out personally and he said it isn't worth the risk for him.
There are other trust worthy companies that offer plug and play systems. I went with waterbox on my large tank a 330.7 and am happy so far after 2+ years but I've been reading about them being slow to delivery lately and people don't have much patience these days. We want it all and we want it now.
200.gif
Id be praying every night to not have a seam issue 😂. I have had seams let loose on multiple brands over the years and eventually came to the conclusion glass is great for tanks <60 gallons in the right space. Anything over and I go acrylic. Anything in my current home will likely be acrylic. My space is too valuable to risk gambling on an adhesive to hold back thousands of pounds of water for decades. I have had glass tanks get scratched and chipped over the years as well and had to replace tanks due to it. Never had a single regret with my acrylic tanks though.
 
Maybe look at eshopps mariner series. They have some peninsula tanks and all the peninsula have an aluminum framed stand. I've been considering one as a replacement for my reefer 300. It looks like many of the tanks are available for shipping with minimal wait times. Reviews are mostly positive.
I’ve always been a hug fan of eshopps gear and sumps. Maybe I’ll take a look at what they have!
 
Maybe look at eshopps mariner series. They have some peninsula tanks and all the peninsula have an aluminum framed stand. I've been considering one as a replacement for my reefer 300. It looks like many of the tanks are available for shipping with minimal wait times. Reviews are mostly positive.
Wow! I didn’t know they use imperial plumbing. That’s handy!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new