Red Sea Rollermats Worth it?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Large Bubble Magus Roller mat and after 6 months I sent it back to the manufacturer (under me paying shipping). They wouldn't believe me on what the issue is. Paper started binding on the bottom roller. I couldn't figure out what. This caused the motor to push the roller out of the socket and turn without turning the paper. I had to manually tug the paper loose every 2-3 hours. It's been off my 340 gallon display for a week now and my display has particles circulating all over in it. It's really annoying! I tried putting large socks back on and they were full and overflowing within 12-15 hours. I did the smaller 200 micron socks and those were plugged within 24 hours.

I'd literally have to change socks daily. The display still had particles in it with the socks because of how often I'd have to change them. The filter rollermat kept up for the 3 months it worked. Then it started binding with two different sets of fleece.

Is the new Large Red Sea Rollermat functional? I need something that actually works. My water is so cloudy, it's so annoying.

Is the Red Sea Filter roller reliable and does Red Sea back their product?

Thanks for any feedback! I'm not looking to bash anyone, just frustrated with why things don't work!

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good here, i have mine (the 1200) hook on a 100g since 3 weeks and it's doing great.
I had the clarisea sk-5000 prior and there's no comparison between the 2, clarisea look like a proof of concept compare to the red sea.
I understand it's not the same generation of products.
I'm running 23 inch/day in average with high of 42.5 the first day and low of 12.3.

The unit is built for ease of maintenance.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I hear the words roller mat all I think is another monthly/by monthly expense hahaha And another piece of equipment to maintain for me filter socks are easy enough they can't break you can buy 2 or 3 sets that can last you a year+, I mean I get it 1 less chore but its a give and take
me I'm on the filer sock team ;)

Last edited:

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Every time I hear the words roller mat all I think is another monthly/by monthly expense hahaha And another piece of equipment to maintain for me filter socks are easy enough they can't break you can buy 2 or 3 sets that can last you a year+, I mean I get it 1 less chore but its a give and take
me I'm on the filer sock team ;)
I love mine... I never liked cleaning filter felt socks or even filter mesh socks....I ended up switching to media cups and filter floss, just not good enough, got the smaller Red Sea unit: Im on my 2nd roll, the 1st roll went quick like (4-5 weeks) but now it seems to be slowing down... think alot of the fine gunk is gone, I have 16 fish .

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine... I never liked cleaning filter felt socks or even filter mesh socks....I ended up switching to media cups and filter floss, just not good enough, got the smaller Red Sea unit: Im on my 2nd roll, the 1st roll went quick like (4-5 weeks) but now it seems to be slowing down... think alot of the fine gunk is gone, I have 16 fish .
I got the red sea 1200 for my 340 gallon display. I've had it operational for nearly 2 days now. And I've gone through 30 feet of the roll already. I was anticipating the roll lasting at least 2 weeks for the first couple of rolls, but right now, it says I'll run out in 4 days. . .

I haven't run filter socks or anything for 3 months since my Bubble magus roller mat died. So, I anticipate it will eventually last a month once it gets the water cleaned out of all the gunk. I should probably have two, but I can't justify the $800 for two. The $400 was hard enough. Plus $30 a week for the next couple of weeks in paper rolls. Ugg.

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I got the red sea 1200 for my 340 gallon display. I've had it operational for nearly 2 days now. And I've gone through 30 feet of the roll already. I was anticipating the roll lasting at least 2 weeks for the first couple of rolls, but right now, it says I'll run out in 4 days. . .

I haven't run filter socks or anything for 3 months since my Bubble magus roller mat died. So, I anticipate it will eventually last a month once it gets the water cleaned out of all the gunk. I should probably have two, but I can't justify the $800 for two. The $400 was hard enough. Plus $30 a week for the next couple of weeks in paper rolls. Ugg.
That is crazy!: is the material really dirty and clogged?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you already did this, but I had this randomly start happening for me with my Klir. I eventually found where it was catching on a stomatella lodged in a really weird spot. Once I pulled that out I haven't had the problem again.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that much volume you may want to try to run dual 1200's. With my 250 gallon and one 1200, I use about 70 inches a day. So its not out of the ordinary you are using that much

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back