Red Sea Salt Mix

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just out of curiosity I mixed up and tested a new batch of Reef Crystals.

SG 35
KH 10.1
Ca 390

Interesting that KH is so much higher but Ca tests nearly the same. I need to do Mag tests but haven't found the time yet.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just out of curiosity I mixed up and tested a new batch of Reef Crystals.

SG 35
KH 10.1
Ca 390

Interesting that KH is so much higher but Ca tests nearly the same. I need to do Mag tests but haven't found the time yet.

It is interesting in how different salts have different chemistry. I've been following a thread on thereeftank where a guy compared 3 or 4 different brands of salt. Pretty interesting stuff. For those of us that run EcoBAK it seems that RedSea regular or TropicMarin is the way to go. It seems you have to add a bit of CAL and MAG to RedSea but it is also quite a bit cheaper than TM...

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting in how different salts have different chemistry. I've been following a thread on thereeftank where a guy compared 3 or 4 different brands of salt. Pretty interesting stuff. For those of us that run EcoBAK it seems that RedSea regular or TropicMarin is the way to go. It seems you have to add a bit of CAL and MAG to RedSea but it is also quite a bit cheaper than TM...
Instant ocean seems to be giving me perfect params, although I don't run any of those ecoBAKS

jtgordon20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also been using the salt, and although I don't have a cal test anymore, my alk seems to measure out at 7dKh on API kit. End of January I'll be getting new test kits (salifert) and probably another bucket.
Do you guys know about their strict mixing instructions? Something like 68 degrees and mix for 0.5-2 hours then warm to tank temp. I did that this last WC and it was clear and left no residue like it would in the past.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those instructions are only for the Coral pro, which has very high levels of Calcium and Magnesium. For Red Sea normal I didn't read any instructions (fairly normal for me), used freshly made RODI, which is very cold this time of year, and stirred with a paint stick. Compared to Reef Crystals this stuff was clear instantly. Note: I've never had a problem with Reef Crystals, regardless of how cloudy it mixed, and I've used it as soon as 2 hours after mixing without issue.

Oh, and my tanks are not low nutrient systems. My 40 has higher than ideal levels of Phosphate. My goal is to simply match my new salt water with what my tank generally runs at.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean seems to be giving me perfect params, although I don't run any of those ecoBAKS

I used IO for a year without any issues. It was when I wanted to start running EcoBAK that I needed a salt that mixed with a lower alkalinity than IO does...

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Eric(reewik) on the pet solutions deal too. He got his bucket last week.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah! That is such a great deal. That company has to be loving middle Tennessee right about now! I just got their mailer the other day and their prices are fairly competitive. The salt is just the best deal anywhere as of right now!

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my bucket in yesterday but it must of taken a good hit. It was broken with salt leaking. I called them they are shipping out another one today for me. They have pretty good CS.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the second person that I've heard of that had a damaged bucket on arrival. But they also said they turned around and sent them another bucket ASAP. Do you dare use the salt that is left in the bucket?

sluicebox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I again ordered on a Friday and had a Saturday morning delivery on the salt mix. I don't see how they afford to do it. Let's don't drive them out of business on salt purchases from Middle TN! LOL!

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I again ordered on a Friday and had a Saturday morning delivery on the salt mix. I don't see how they afford to do it. Let's don't drive them out of business on salt purchases from Middle TN! LOL!

I say we keep ordering and keep em in business. Watch them raise the price then all of us bail on them! LOL

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made another batch Monday and did a water change 2 hours later, one it was heated up. I love this stuff. I would always have to wait at least 6 hours for Reef Crystals to be clear and appear ready to use.

Saltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order with them, 6 bags Caribsea Fiji pink sand, and 175 gallon bucket of Red Sea Salt.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have sand?!? Checking now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back