Red Sea Salt Mix

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the salt I am using alk was 8.12 the other night. I have five gallons mixed for a wc I can test it tonight if you'd like.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That site is really good because orders over $49 are free shipping and the 175 gallon bucket is $49.99!!! I think I'll order a bucket or two and sell my stock of IO to Mitch or Jay. I can't get my ALK down with IO and I know I'll be wanting to try some SPS soon!

B, thanks for the info. If you do test again please post the results!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, thats a pretty good deal. only 25 gallons less than the Reef crystals

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
School, what is your Alk now??? are you running Ecobak or pellets of any sort?

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running regular IO and it mixes at 10-11 DKH on two different test kits after circulating for 24 hours at 1.025, temp of 78-80.

My tank is stable at 10 DKH while adding 50mL per day of BRS 2-Part dosing system. I've dropped this from 70mL per day and the DKH hasn't moved... Yes, just started running EcoBAK 10 days ago. 125mL on a 150 total water volume system. Fairly light bio-load. Only 5 fish and a handful of corals.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH wow, I didnt know it was mixing that high. thats not good.

Yeah.... So, it seems like people like the Red Sea regular so I'll try some of that. Once I get the DKH down I'll try my hand at some tougher SPS colonies.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results, water has been mixed for around 24 hours.

SG: 1.025
Alk: 141ppm/7.89 dKH
Calc: 340

So the alkalinity is just a tad low for biopellet use but, calcium on the other hand is just plain low. Both tests were performed using Hanna Checkers and specific gravity was tested on a refractometer. I might look into a different salt personally if I keep testing the calcium being so low. I will retest at next water change. Hope this helps. Anyone else ever test a fresh batch of this mix?

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive tested red sea regular before and got around 8 dkh and 420 calc @1.025. did u mix your salt up before using it? ive always heard to mix up the salt on any brand before using it to get all the elements mixed good because some can settle down in the bag.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks B! I already dose my IO to bring the CAL up when doing water changes so dosing the Red Sea to bring the CAL up won't be a big deal. I do like the low ALK. Ordered a bucket of it from the link that I posted. Will transition to it over the next several water changes and see if I can bring my ALK down.

What brand are you going to try next B?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont trust that hanna calcium checker at all. Too much room for error when testing using a whole cuvette full of RODI, and those 1ml syringes they supply are crap. And having your alk come out below 8 is fine because more than likely you will be dosing anyways. I was using Brightwells salt because it did mix at 7. I used to run my alk at 7.2, only since I changed salt has it creeped up to 8.2

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive tested red sea regular before and got around 8 dkh and 420 calc @1.025. did u mix your salt up before using it? ive always heard to mix up the salt on any brand before using it to get all the elements mixed good because some can settle down in the bag.

I usually shake the bucket before adding my salt to the water.

Thanks B! I already dose my IO to bring the CAL up when doing water changes so dosing the Red Sea to bring the CAL up won't be a big deal. I do like the low ALK. Ordered a bucket of it from the link that I posted. Will transition to it over the next several water changes and see if I can bring my ALK down.

What brand are you going to try next B?

I am thinking salinity, I've been told the Alk comes in around 8 and Calcium comes in around 460.

I dont trust that hanna calcium checker at all. Too much room for error when testing using a whole cuvette full of RODI, and those 1ml syringes they supply are crap. And having your alk come out below 8 is fine because more than likely you will be dosing anyways. I was using Brightwells salt because it did mix at 7. I used to run my alk at 7.2, only since I changed salt has it creeped up to 8.2

What salt you using now? Which calcium test kit do you recommend?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back