Red Sea Sump Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ernie C
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ernie C

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2018
Messages
674
Reaction score
550
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer and never used the black sponge piece that goes before the return section. I do get some micro-bubbles from the skimmer in the display. Just curious as to what is the main purpose for the sponge? And do you use it or not and why?
 
It's to stop bubbles from the skimmer mainly. But also works to stop stuff getting into the return pump.

I use mine to stop the micro bubbles from my skimmer.
 
As noted above it's to reduce mico-bubbles. It also catches excessive debris. Personally I removed mine and have never seen any adverse effects from doing so. I don't see any micro-bubbles either. Perhaps it depends where your skimmer is placed in your sump.
 
I use it. When I remove it for cleaning, within a few minutes, micro bubbles form in the display. I also agree with Ebslinger that it keeps stuff from going into the return pump.
 
It's to stop bubbles from the skimmer mainly. But also works to stop stuff getting into the return pump.

I use mine to stop the micro bubbles from my skimmer.

Is it an issue for maintenance/cleaning?
 
I think I clean mine about every 3 months or so... not that it needs it, I just do it every so often. The filter sock has been doing a great job so it doesn't really get dirty.
 
i have added a refugium in the front left of the 200xl sump after the skimmer. will the sponge block my copepods from going into the tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new