Red Sea Tank Replacement, Expect me to dispose of broken tank?

Drflashpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I posted about my Red Sea Reefer Max 750 G2+ having a broken tank and sump on arrival. Red Sea is offering to replace them both, but I have to dispose of the broken glass. I can’t even lift this thing.

I paid $350 for movers to come move it from my driveway and I I my garage… 12feet away (they were scheduled to come get it in the house). Now I’ll have to pay that again if the new tank arrives safely plus a junk guy to come dispose of the old tank? Most junk guys can’t haul away 1000 pounds of glass.

Thoughts? Anyone had this issue? Any help appreciated!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some eyeglasses, a faceshield, gloves and a hammer and make the tank into smaller pieces that you can place in a bucket. Fill the bucket (or two) with as many pounds as you can carry and drive to the dump, or a dumpster or recycle center that takes glass and empyt the buckets. Repeat until finished, sweep up the drive way and wait for the new tank to show up.

Or,
If you have garbage collection on your block, distribute the glass to the neighbors bins on trash night. You will never see a garbage collection driver as happy as when every bin on your block deposites another 50 lbs of glass into the truck. Ask me how I know. Our trucks have cameras with recorders on them to watch for illegal dumping.

Sorry about your tank situation. I'd come help out if you were closer to Oceanside. I have made so many friends over the years helping with these kinds of daunting clean up and removal tasks. Gl.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also some people collect recyclables to sell upon trade in to recycling centers. They might take your glass for free since it’s as lot at once and would be worth while for them

OP
OP
Drflashpoint

Drflashpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big yikes. Thanks for the responses. I was hoping someone would say “No! Make them take it back, they should!” But… guess not.

I’ll see what I can figure out.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I faced the same issue. The junk haulers were fine with the tank. They broke it into pieces and hauled it away $120 or so. Easy peasy.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hammer. Sweep up the smaller pieces. As a bonus, you can curse at Red Sea while swinging the hammer.
Get a friend to video the whole thing and then post it on the web so people can watch and listen as you express yourself.

the rolling stones GIF

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Big yikes. Thanks for the responses. I was hoping someone would say “No! Make them take it back, they should!” But… guess not.

I’ll see what I can figure out.

You could still do that. You can request they pick it up. It shouldn’t be yours to bear as it came broken.

But I’d personally post it on FB marketplace. That thing will disappear in a day if you do.

In the odd chance it doesn’t just break it into pieces you can handle and throw it out. Rent a $20 uhaul if you have to.

Sorry to hear about the added stress though.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say sorry this happened to you. Enjoy your new tank when it arrives.

victoria casella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I posted about my Red Sea Reefer Max 750 G2+ having a broken tank and sump on arrival. Red Sea is offering to replace them both, but I have to dispose of the broken glass. I can’t even lift this thing.

I paid $350 for movers to come move it from my driveway and I I my garage… 12feet away (they were scheduled to come get it in the house). Now I’ll have to pay that again if the new tank arrives safely plus a junk guy to come dispose of the old tank? Most junk guys can’t haul away 1000 pounds of glass.

Thoughts? Anyone had this issue? Any help appreciated!
What did you end up doing? I’m in the same boat…. Except my replacement for the last one that the seam came apart on… is now coming apart… Red Sea offered to replace it and give me $200 off on their hardware… but what about the $500 I spent to get the old one out and the new one in I don’t think I should eat that nor should you! not to mention the whole month of having my fish in a horse trough in my living room… I’m seriously think about getting out of the hobby after 40 years…

piranhaman00

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? I’m in the same boat…. Except my replacement for the last one that the seam came apart on… is now coming apart… Red Sea offered to replace it and give me $200 off on their hardware… but what about the $500 I spent to get the old one out and the new one in I don’t think I should eat that nor should you! not to mention the whole month of having my fish in a horse trough in my living room… I’m seriously think about getting out of the hobby after 40 years…

@brandon429 is this the first threepeat?

victoria casella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 is this the first threepeat?
One I had for eight years and they gave me 900 off on the new one… this one I’ve had set up for a month… I’m really attached to all my animals. Some of them were an inheritance from my best friend… that’s why I ended up getting a new tank in the first place…ugh

victoria casella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about just stop giving this company money and second and third chances
Yeh bit too late…they already have my $ now I have to take the 2nd replacement or loose it all I might just sell it when the new one gets here cut my loses and never have a tank again… I don’t know if I can handle the stress of getting up every morning wondering if today is the day…

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeh bit too late…they already have my $ now I have to take the 2nd replacement or loose it all I might just sell it when the new one gets here cut my loses and never have a tank again… I don’t know if I can handle the stress of getting up every morning wondering if today is the day…
I hear ya. But it’s this company. Yes statistically every tank company has had failures but this is ridiculous.

My tank is a 75G aqueon and it’s 12 years old and has been out in a trailer and hauled cross country. There is not one day I wake up and fear it’s going to leak.

You could always go acrylic for peace of mind

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back