Red Sea Tank Replacement, Expect me to dispose of broken tank?

Drflashpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I posted about my Red Sea Reefer Max 750 G2+ having a broken tank and sump on arrival. Red Sea is offering to replace them both, but I have to dispose of the broken glass. I can’t even lift this thing.

I paid $350 for movers to come move it from my driveway and I I my garage… 12feet away (they were scheduled to come get it in the house). Now I’ll have to pay that again if the new tank arrives safely plus a junk guy to come dispose of the old tank? Most junk guys can’t haul away 1000 pounds of glass.

Thoughts? Anyone had this issue? Any help appreciated!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some eyeglasses, a faceshield, gloves and a hammer and make the tank into smaller pieces that you can place in a bucket. Fill the bucket (or two) with as many pounds as you can carry and drive to the dump, or a dumpster or recycle center that takes glass and empyt the buckets. Repeat until finished, sweep up the drive way and wait for the new tank to show up.

Or,
If you have garbage collection on your block, distribute the glass to the neighbors bins on trash night. You will never see a garbage collection driver as happy as when every bin on your block deposites another 50 lbs of glass into the truck. Ask me how I know. Our trucks have cameras with recorders on them to watch for illegal dumping.

Sorry about your tank situation. I'd come help out if you were closer to Oceanside. I have made so many friends over the years helping with these kinds of daunting clean up and removal tasks. Gl.

VintageReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also some people collect recyclables to sell upon trade in to recycling centers. They might take your glass for free since it’s as lot at once and would be worth while for them

OP
OP
Drflashpoint

Drflashpoint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big yikes. Thanks for the responses. I was hoping someone would say “No! Make them take it back, they should!” But… guess not.

I’ll see what I can figure out.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I faced the same issue. The junk haulers were fine with the tank. They broke it into pieces and hauled it away $120 or so. Easy peasy.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a hammer. Sweep up the smaller pieces. As a bonus, you can curse at Red Sea while swinging the hammer.
Get a friend to video the whole thing and then post it on the web so people can watch and listen as you express yourself.

the rolling stones GIF

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Big yikes. Thanks for the responses. I was hoping someone would say “No! Make them take it back, they should!” But… guess not.

I’ll see what I can figure out.

You could still do that. You can request they pick it up. It shouldn’t be yours to bear as it came broken.

But I’d personally post it on FB marketplace. That thing will disappear in a day if you do.

In the odd chance it doesn’t just break it into pieces you can handle and throw it out. Rent a $20 uhaul if you have to.

Sorry to hear about the added stress though.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to say sorry this happened to you. Enjoy your new tank when it arrives.

ARE YOU USING LIVE FOOD TO NOURISH YOUR TANK? (TELL US WHY OR WHY NOT IN THE COMMENTS!)

• Yes, I'm using live food.

Votes: 42 55.3%
  • No, I'm not using live food.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Not yet, but I want to.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • No, and I don't have plans to use it.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back