Red Sea Trace Colors dosing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m having a brain fart due to lack of sleep. I had a few questions about dosing the Trace Colors. So we’re supposed to dose 1 mL for every 20 ppm of Calcium added to 100/L or 26.4/G of aquarium water.

I’m not sure I know how many ppm of Calcium I’m adding. I know what my Calcium level is @ 440ppm & I’m dosing 24mL daily on my new system that’s about 8 months old.

So given that information how will I determine how many mL’s of my Calcium dose is equal to 20 ppm of Calcium added for my water volume of about 75/G’s.

So would this calculation be right:
93.7mL of ESV = 20ppm
153.5mL of BRS = 20ppm

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing all those numbers is making my head hurt, LOL!!! I believe BRS did a video on figuring this out. Personally, I just add 1 ml daily of A,B,C, and D. When I start to send ICP test out I will dial it in more.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s the problem. BRS is a lot less potent than ESV. :)

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing all those numbers is making my head hurt, LOL!!! I believe BRS did a video on figuring this out. Personally, I just add 1 ml daily of A,B,C, and D. When I start to send ICP test out I will dial it in more.

Mine too. Lol. What’s your total water volume?

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculation looks correct according to that reef calculator. I assume you are trying to get your parameters to desired levels first, then dose daily to maintain based off your coral consumption? How about alk?

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m having a brain fart due to lack of sleep. I had a few questions about dosing the Trace Colors. So we’re supposed to dose 1 mL for every 20 ppm of Calcium added to 100/L or 26.4/G of aquarium water.

I’m not sure I know how many ppm of Calcium I’m adding. I know what my Calcium level is @ 440ppm & I’m dosing 24mL daily on my new system that’s about 8 months old.

So given that information how will I determine how many mL’s of my Calcium dose is equal to 20 ppm of Calcium added for my water volume of about 75/G’s.

So would this calculation be right:
93.7mL of ESV = 20ppm
153.5mL of BRS = 20ppm

My question would be which do you do your daily dosing with, ESV or BRS? to mean based on your other posts it looks like you are using ESV.

If that is the case and I am not doing my math wrong, and your CA level is stable with that daily dose your tank is using ~20 PPM of CA every 4 days. So I would say you should be added 3 mL of Trace A, B, C, and D every 4 days. or 0.75 mL every day.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an added note, looking at you build thread and as stated here, this tank if fairly new and doesn't appear to have large amounts of corals in it from the pictures that are posted. I bring this up mainly because it seems to me that 20 ppm for CA for a new tank seemed a tad bit high and didn't want you to over dose the trace colors since there are some heavy metals like copper and such in there.

I am not saying it isn't possible for the tank to be sucking up that much CA, it just struck me as a little high.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow a simpler method as told by a Red Sea rep. Instead of relating it to your ppm increase, relate it to the amount of Ca you dose at a 1:10 ratio. 1 ml of trace to every 10 ml of Ca. (So basically just move the decimal left once and that's how much of each trace to dose)

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow a simpler method as told by a Red Sea rep. Instead of relating it to your ppm increase, relate it to the amount of Ca you dose at a 1:10 ratio. 1 ml of trace to every 10 ml of Ca. (So basically just move the decimal left once and that's how much of each trace to dose)

Not sure if I agree if I with how the red sea rep is saying these should be dosed. While I think that is the correct ratio if you are using red sea products to dose ALK and CA, I don't think that applies to other supplements.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I agree if I with how the red sea rep is saying these should be dosed. While I think that is the correct ratio if you are using red sea products to dose ALK and CA, I don't think that applies to other supplements.
I am sorry, I did make an assumption that he was using Red Sea products....and we all know what happens when we assume....

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculation looks correct according to that reef calculator. I assume you are trying to get your parameters to desired levels first, then dose daily to maintain based off your coral consumption? How about alk?

You dose based off Calcium demand. So really no need to test as long as Red Sea did good research on that.

I dose ESV Alk via GHL doser. 150x a day

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question would be which do you do your daily dosing with, ESV or BRS? to mean based on your other posts it looks like you are using ESV.

If that is the case and I am not doing my math wrong, and your CA level is stable with that daily dose your tank is using ~20 PPM of CA every 4 days. So I would say you should be added 3 mL of Trace A, B, C, and D every 4 days. or 0.75 mL every day.

That was my rough calculation. I'm not very good with math, but that was close to what I got.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an added note, looking at you build thread and as stated here, this tank if fairly new and doesn't appear to have large amounts of corals in it from the pictures that are posted. I bring this up mainly because it seems to me that 20 ppm for CA for a new tank seemed a tad bit high and didn't want you to over dose the trace colors since there are some heavy metals like copper and such in there.

I am not saying it isn't possible for the tank to be sucking up that much CA, it just struck me as a little high.

Very good eye and advice!

My tank is acropora dominated now and has come a lot farther. I had a little hiccup with Triton, but all is well and it's sucking Alk and Cal like crazy now. Every day I have to keep increasing the dose.

I need to update my build thread. ;-)

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now I really like that! How accurate is this? Can any math people confirm...

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don't miss anything sir. It's important to remember that all 2-parts are NOT created equally.
I think these are accurate. Can you confirm sir. 1st two I'm 99.9% sure. Pretty sure on the Carbo as well because it's listed on their website.

BRS Alkalinity is 1900 meq/Liter
ESV Alkalinity is 2800 meq/Liter
Reef Fusion is 4400 meq/Liter
Carbo Calcium is 5600 meq/Liter

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry, I did make an assumption that he was using Red Sea products....and we all know what happens when we assume....

No worries man. I'm glad we clarified that. Some guy would have been posting 2 weeks from now about how his corals are STN'ing from the tips down. :D

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So can we confirm the Alk & Cal strength of Red Sea 2-part. I'm courious where it falls into range with the others I listed above.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's now 26ml daily. Tank is currently using 20 ppm CA every 3.6 days. I'll call it every 4 days to error on the side of safety. :) Will probably under dose it too. wink wink. Maybe dose about 0.8mL daily or 2.5mL every 4 days.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back