Red Seas Ammonia test always sets high ammonia

carochi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Red Sea's Ammonia test and always appears high ammonia level +2, +1.5, has happened something like this to you?

I also have a seachem Ammonia alert that shows wcerything correcto

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your total ammonia were really 1.5-2ppm, you'd see it easily on the seachem ammonia alert badge.
I'm going to say the Red Sea kit got contaminated or something. I'll go with the Ammonia alert badge.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post the tank picture here

and the actual Red Sea readout next to the card

I collect misreads in hundreds of threads and we need these examples on file to ease others who choose to panic at this point and buy five bottles of cycling bacteria

nice job holding course

can we see pics of everything I’ll link this thread as the first read in a few of my collection threads on ammonia misreads

you haven’t dosed Prime or anything in response to the levels have you

cycle umpires are a finicky bunch, almost never consistent among calls month to month. Heck it wouldn’t take eight seconds to pull up a link where someone’s six month cycling tank reporting your levels was deemed a broken cycle by the same posters in this thread. I guess at 18 months they deem that long enough to just this time not accept a cheap non digital test kit as complete proof of cycle status.

there is a hidden unstated factor of #of days running that even the staunchest old cycling rules proponent will use to override what api or Red Sea says. It changes post to post vs stays consistent, but at least we are making very very very very slow progress

your cycle is safe not because another non digital test kit agrees, I’ve got many examples of badge misreads on file, bad ones, your cycle is set because by rule it couldn’t not be set and done about 17 months ago.

tank pics that show the readout, factored against a known tank age, placement of fish in the pic and the degree of surface area within the system, water clarity from the picture all come together to reveal misread examples so we know how to help others when they don’t have a second kit

when Eli from aquabiomics told us that we must test a reef tank before we can be certain the cycle is done, apparently he wasn’t allowing for misreading kits. I wonder what the unstated limitations of his for-sale reef tank testing would be just the same.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you post the tank picture here

and the actual Red Sea readout next to the card

I collect misreads in hundreds of threads and we need these examples on file to ease others who choose to panic at this point and buy five bottles of cycling bacteria

nice job holding course

can we see pics of everything I’ll link this thread as the first read in a few of my collection threads on ammonia misreads

you haven’t dosed Prime or anything in response to the levels have you

cycle umpires are a finicky bunch, almost never consistent among calls month to month. Heck it wouldn’t take eight seconds to pull up a link where someone’s six month cycling tank reporting your levels was deemed a broken cycle by the same posters in this thread. I guess at 18 months they deem that long enough to just this time not accept a cheap non digital test kit as complete proof of cycle status.

there is a hidden unstated factor of #of days running that even the staunchest old cycling rules proponent will use to override what api or Red Sea says. It changes post to post vs stays consistent, but at least we are making very very very very slow progress

your cycle is safe not because another non digital test kit agrees, I’ve got many examples of badge misreads on file, bad ones, your cycle is set because by rule it couldn’t not be set and done about 17 months ago.

tank pics that show the readout, factored against a known tank age, placement of fish in the pic and the degree of surface area within the system, water clarity from the picture all come together to reveal misread examples so we know how to help others when they don’t have a second kit

when Eli from aquabiomics told us that we must test a reef tank before we can be certain the cycle is done, apparently he wasn’t allowing for misreading kits. I wonder what the unstated limitations of his for-sale reef tank testing would be just the same.
I thought it was API tests that were inaccurate. hmmm. must have misremembered

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back