Red Sea's NOPOX fuels chaeto growth!!!

jap783

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a while to prove that Red Sea's NOPOX fuels the growth of my chaetomorpha but I have been tracking the progress of my refugium photographically for several months. The basis of filtration on my reef aquarium is based around a Chaeto based CPR hang-on refugium. My goal was to have a high fish bio-load while the refugium would be a nutrient sink. However, like many others have experienced, once the chaeto grows in the exponential phase, it is only a matter of time before the culture crashes. For me it would take 3-6 weeks before the culture eventually crashed. During this time, I tried the using Brightwell's Chaetogro but would still have the same crashes. After a few months, I switched to the Red Sea Trace Colors dosing system because the potassium (salifert potassium test kit) was off the chart.

Back in June 2022, I started dosing Red Sea's NOPOX in order to reduce the nitrate spike that would naturally occur when the chaeto would inevitably crash. That was the last time I have had to purchase chaeto for my reef tank and I couldn't be happier with the results. I could harvest the algae every two weeks but I wanted to see if the culture would crash once it reached a certain density. I found that the algae will grow until it is pushing itself out of the top and drying out (pictured below!). I did however, run into some problems once the algae was growing consistently.

The biggest issue I ran into was the undetectable nitrates but phosphates were consistently around 0.15ppm. I assumed that using Red Sea's Reef Energy AB+ would provide the necessary nitrogen for coral growth but some corals grew while others did not. I even tried dosing Reef Nutrition's Phytofeast, Oyster feast, and Roti-feast but it did not improve the growth of corals that were receding. I finally conceded to dosing nitrates directly using Brightwell's NeoNitro and my nitrates are currently riding at 2ppm. Most of the corals that were receding are now showing signs of skeletal growth. The corals with the most obvious growth are in the Acropora's and you can see their growth below.

Overall the tank is a 40 gallon breeder with no sump with 30 genera of corals, 20 fish, as well as a couple of sponges and feather dusters. My goal was to create a display that would showcase the biodiversity of a coral reef ecosystem while incorporating of each species' specific requirements. I would like to add more inverts but I found that my super male melanurus (raised from a female) is highly predatory on crustaceans. I can definitely add more fish but am planning to move soon so I have disassembled my quarantine tank. Instead I am taking this concept to the next level and am going to try setting up a seahorse Acropora display.

One note about potassium: at 15 ml/day, it has the highest dose of my trace elements other than calcium and carbonate. Once the algae started growing in the exponential phase, I can barely keep the potassium level at 400ppm. While Chaetogro did not work for me at first, it may be useful now as a replacement for the Red Sea Colors but I am happy with the system I have currently. I used an ICP analysis to ensure that my trace elements aren't being overdosed. Using 3 jerboa wifi doses I currently dose: Calcium chloride, sodium carbonate, BRS magnesium mix, Red Sea's NOPOX, Red Sea Trace Colors Parts A through D, Brightwell's NeoNitro, Reef Nutrition's Phytofeast, Roti-feast, and Oysterfeast. I also feed 0.25 grams of reef roids, golden pearls 500 micron pellets, and formula one pellets three times daily with an Eheim auto feeder.

It is my sincere hope that the information I have provided will change the reef keeping experience. I would like to know what are other chaeto growers experience? Has anyone gone more than a year without a culture crash? It has been only three months so I would like to see if other chaeto growers would be willing to try dosing Red Sea's NOPOX to verify these results. Is anyone else dosing other carbon forms and are running a refugium at the same time? Based on it's smell, NOPOX would appear to be an acetone based carbon source. Can chaeto use other forms of carbon such as ethanol or acetic acid (vodka or vinegar)?

Chaeto starting to dry out at the surface (09/12/2022)
IMG_1915.jpeg
IMG_1916.jpeg

Dosing and feeding system
IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_2003.jpeg
IMG_1929.jpeg

Harvested 06/22/2022, 07/07/2022, 07/28/2022, 08/22/2022
IMG_7294.jpeg
IMG_1038.jpeg
IMG_1202.jpeg
IMG_1475.jpeg

Acropora growth: 05/24/2022, 07/27/2022, 09/05/2022
IMG_0558.jpeg
IMG_1190.jpeg
IMG_1819.jpeg

Full tank shot:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread, chaeto can’t utilise nopox unfortunately :( neonitro can.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a bunch of information to unpack here!

I was wondering about the NOPOX-Chaetomorpha growth link. Fueling bacteria growth with NOPOX could benefit ALGAE growth if the bacteria ARE producING beneficial compounds like vitamins or siderophores.

OP
OP
J

jap783

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread, chaeto can’t utilise nopox unfortunately :( neonitro can.
Well, I would generally agree with you but I only started that NeoNitro in the beginning of August. Nitrates had been undetectable during the first three harvests of chaeto, but the NOPOX has been in use since at least June.
I just graduated in May with my BS in marine biology and this spring I took microbial physiology and genetics. I asked my professor for some input on this matter and am waiting to hear back.
From what I remember, acetone would need to be converted to acetate, which would be used in biosynthesis and add to the overall biomass. If true, then methanogenesis may be used but I thought this was only found in bacteria. Perhaps there is a bacterial intermediate?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOPOX contains ethanol (methanol) and Vinegar. It does not contain acetone.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I would generally agree with you but I only started that NeoNitro in the beginning of August. Nitrates had been undetectable during the first three harvests of chaeto, but the NOPOX has been in use since at least June.
I just graduated in May with my BS in marine biology and this spring I took microbial physiology and genetics. I asked my professor for some input on this matter and am waiting to hear back.
From what I remember, acetone would need to be converted to acetate, which would be used in biosynthesis and add to the overall biomass. If true, then methanogenesis may be used but I thought this was only found in bacteria. Perhaps there is a bacterial intermediate?
Before the neonitro you had what some folks describe as a ULNS. As you started to carbon dose heterotrophic bacteria began assimilating inorganic nutrients, nitrates and phosphates also considered pollutants, this allows for organic nutrients to become more available for coral and algae. In addition wile carbon dosing is required to skim to remove the bacteria and the nutrients with it, if the bacteria is not removed those inorganic nutrients assimilated by the heterotrophic bacteria will become available again in the organic form that is easily assimilate by algae. I would imagine that is all a matter of nutrient cycle and transfer that ends up in the algae.

OP
OP
J

jap783

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOPOX contains ethanol (methanol) and Vinegar. It does not contain acetone.
I would love to see an actual ingredients list or MSDS from Red Sea but I understand keeping proprietary recipes private. I think someone posted a recipe but I was only trying to describe it as I smelled it. Can someone point me in the direction of the source?

OP
OP
J

jap783

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the neonitro you had what some folks describe as a ULNS. As you started to carbon dose heterotrophic bacteria began assimilating inorganic nutrients, nitrates and phosphates also considered pollutants, this allows for organic nutrients to become more available for coral and algae. In addition wile carbon dosing is required to skim to remove the bacteria and the nutrients with it, if the bacteria is not removed those inorganic nutrients assimilated by the heterotrophic bacteria will become available again in the organic form that is easily assimilate by algae. I would imagine that is all a matter of nutrient cycle and transfer that ends up in the algae.
I was trying to find some research papers that had been done on bacteria intermediates but my eyes start to get cross eyed the further I read into the. I just found it fascinating that I could document such a direct correlation between Red Sea's NOPOX and my chaeto growth. If anyone know's of any research papers on the subject, I would still love to try reading them

OP
OP
J

jap783

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too started dosing nopox and noticed good growth on my chaeto.

D84CC68F-A06C-4725-80BE-801F199E6CFC.jpeg

B9D0045C-5A76-41B3-977E-399DFE682F57.jpeg

5284242B-D836-473F-9B37-7642B484D62B.jpeg
I was hoping to find more reefers that were dosing NOPOX and could confirm or deny my accusations. I had been dealing with melting chaeto for almost two years but I could not find any one parameter that would prevent it.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen some papers suggesting heterotrophic bacteria produce vit b12 which would help with growth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back