Red sores on naso

btb72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy sent me this picture this morning asking about it. I was guessing bacterial but I have no idea on water parameters or anything.

AC5BDA38-F05D-47D2-9CF3-67EE4B06A6A6.jpeg

OP
OP
B

btb72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya said it popped up over night. And has it quarantined with some nice fish so I hope it’s only bac
He also just said he did a dose of prazipro and paraguard yesterday and this morning woke up to that.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy never seen that before. Hope he pulls through

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also just said he did a dose of prazipro and paraguard yesterday and this morning woke up to that.
Prazipro won't cause that. I don't use Paraguard in marine systems, but I doubt that would cause that either. Could the two meds have acted synergistically? Perhaps, but this looks more like an injury to me, from running into something. See the three lobes on the lower lesion? Bacterial infections don't usually grow like that, they are usually round like the top lesion. Injuries like scrapes are more likely to cause linear marks. The red coloration is what puzzles me - most injuries start off white. Not sure what to suggest other than if it gets worse, the fish should be isolated and treated with a gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic like Neoplex.

Jay

OP
OP
B

btb72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro won't cause that. I don't use Paraguard in marine systems, but I doubt that would cause that either. Could the two meds have acted synergistically? Perhaps, but this looks more like an injury to me, from running into something. See the three lobes on the lower lesion? Bacterial infections don't usually grow like that, they are usually round like the top lesion. Injuries like scrapes are more likely to cause linear marks. The red coloration is what puzzles me - most injuries start off white. Not sure what to suggest other than if it gets worse, the fish should be isolated and treated with a gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic like Neoplex.

Jay
Thank you @Jay Hemdal Would you start broad spectrum now? Or wait. And do you think it would be uronema at all?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Jay Hemdal Would you start broad spectrum now? Or wait. And do you think it would be uronema at all?
It doesn’t look like Uronema to me at all,
But then, I’ve never seen it on a Naso. I would have the meds and treatment tank ready to go, but I’d wait another 24 hours- if it looks worse then, treat.
Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back