Red specks on new frag?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NancyFish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NancyFish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2024
Messages
680
Reaction score
206
Location
conneticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got our first batch of coral, we have them in a bucket before we dip them, change out their plugs and put them in qt.

This is a candy cane, I know the bottom of this is coralline; not sure if it’s worth keeping vs potential pest in QT. But the red speck things, what’s up with those? I can scrape them off but idk what they are, and if it’s sick?
IMG_5676.jpeg


IMG_5674.jpeg
 
A quick search makes me think foraminifera
 
Are they hard?
Yeah they’re a little hard, and I could scratch one off. It also had some stringy green in the water, I assume algae? Just not sure if I should put it in the same QT as the rest or treat it different
 
Sounds like Foraminiferans, harmless. No intervention warranted
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new