Red spot on my yellow tang

Cado09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, since 2 days I noticed red spot on my Yellow tang.
These spots are very similar on each side of the fish.
Until now, he is acting and eating normally. I have this fish for 2 years, and my others fishs look's heathly.
Someone have an opinion about this matter???

IMG_0639.JPG

singleshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think this is a bacterial infection also, what are your tank parameters? Anything changed as of late and when was the last water change?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied from chucksaddiction...

Often confused with an internal bacterial disease which appears very similar, the improper acclimation of marine fish can cause capillary congestion leading to the rupture of the capillaries through sudden exposure to higher salinity levels. This is most often seen with newly purchased fish that have not been acclimated very slowly, as in days long periods to higher salinity or when replacement water is above the aquarium's salinity when performing a large water change. As long as the fish is eating properly and it develops no other problems, it should heal in due time and recover. If the fish develops such red markings in the absence of salinity changes then I would suspect a bacterial infection due to poor water quality and the fish should be removed and treated by feeding it an anti-bacterial laced food while taking steps to get the organic levels of the aquarium under control.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you say you had him for a couple years, but have you recently done any large water changes that may have spike salinity quickly? If the answer is no I'd lean toward bacterial infection but I'd still want to know why? If thats the case, I may look into a medicated food like Dr G's caviar, since the red is actually from inside, so it would be an internal bacterial infection.

And the Dr G's can be fed in a reef tank, just don't let it land on top of corals.

OP
OP
C

Cado09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your reply
Tank parameters:
KH 7.2
Cal: 420
MG:1420
PH 8.0
NO3: 0
PO4: 0.18
SG1025-1026
I change 10% of water every week, no change of salanity, unless I haven't notice
Once again, today the fish still acting normally
Has you suggest, I will keep an eye on him, to see if his condition his steady, or getting worse
Unfortunately, my QT is already busy with a beautiful flame angel

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this frequently in yellow tangs and agree It's typically brought on by some stress event, some trauma, injury, or water parameter change (often when moving fish or doing large water changes).

With great water quality and watching it closely they've always healed back up fine.

Mr tap water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my own experience of keeping yellow tangs I would have to say those red marks are to do with fighting and will disappear on their own in a few weeks if the fighting stops.

OP
OP
C

Cado09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all of you, just to let you know that my yellow tang have totally recover from his infection, without any special treatments.
Thank you for your advices

Gulf of Persia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat it with amoxicillin. Human amoxicillin work . Try to mix it to its food . Wait 30 minutes to mix up and soak to the food then spot feed it. Its bacterial infection. Also use food with garlic .

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all of you, just to let you know that my yellow tang have totally recover from his infection, without any special treatments.
Thank you for your advices
Glad to hear it!

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to Hijack but since this is solved I figure its ok

I also have the same spots suddenly developing on my yellow tang. Its is 20 days into 1.009 hyposalinty(ich) I actually assumed it was stab marks from the purple tang. I lowered over 2.5days.

The refefractometer was calibrated with 1.026fluid.

Hes eating like crazy. Any suggestions? Ive split the tank to prevent fighting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back