Red striped cardinalfish breeding or sick?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fritz05
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fritz05

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 4, 2021
Messages
215
Reaction score
197
Location
Orange County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three red-striped cardinals (Ostorhinchus margaritophorus) in my 65g. This morning one suddenly showed an impressive bulge underneath the mouth. My first thought was a disease, but then I remembered they are mouth breeders. Can anyone tell me if this looks like the fish having eggs in the mouth? It behaves normally, I did not check if it was feeding.
IMG_4210.jpeg
 
I have three red-striped cardinals (Ostorhinchus margaritophorus) in my 65g. This morning one suddenly showed an impressive bulge underneath the mouth. My first thought was a disease, but then I remembered they are mouth breeders. Can anyone tell me if this looks like the fish having eggs in the mouth? It behaves normally, I did not check if it was feeding.
IMG_4210.jpeg

Your fish looks like it is holding eggs. If it showed like this overnight, then that is surely what it is. The only disease that causes this is goiter, and that takes weeks or more likely months to develop.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new