Red to Green Color Change in Walt Disney, Orange Passion

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference in post #26 does not have to be a difference in the green pigmentation but maybe only a difference in the visibility. At the first photograph the red polyps are fully expanded and hide all the green tissue (coenosarc) to the eye. On the second photograph of the frag, due to low nutrients and high Illumination the polyps are fully retracted and the green coenosarc is fully visible. Maybe no color change.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to my previous post: about a month and a half ago I got a teeny tiny pink acro frag (too small to ID species at this point) from my LFS ($10; after setting some things aright I've wanted to test my tank's ability to grow SPS).

Anyway, after a month and a half in my lighting scheme (Kessils; getting I'd guess 300-some PAR once I moved it to its final location; almost all blue spectrum save 10AM-3PM at 20% color and 100% intensity) it's turned pretty green.

I'm doubling the color on my kessils starting today; we'll see how things do after two weeks or so. (unfortunately, at the same time I'm ramping up my feeding schedule. I've had a dang hard time growing SPS; I take off for two weeks and forget to turn on the skimmer/ATS, to return to a tank loaded with long micro algae bushes, and excellent SPS re-skining and regrowth. So, it won't be a well controlled experiment).

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Kessils are you using? Do keep in mind with the A360s (W, WE, and X), PAR is substantially higher in the 50-60% color range than other settings (it falls off above and below those settings). So as you increase the color from 0%(?), to 20%, to 40%, you're also increase the PAR.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @madweazl ! That’s very good info.

I’m using a 360w (not we or x) and 160we on a 30 inch long tank.

Before from 10am-3pm I was running 20% color/100% intensity. I’m bringing color to 50% starting a few hours ago.

So you’re saying PAR is now much higher?

Last edited:

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after about three weeks: I've noticed possible color shifts in some of the corals, but at the end of the day they are still basically the same color. The Porites lobata/lutea, which changed from a typical yellow-brownish (in daylight) that you see all the time in shallow water to a greenish tint, has not changed back. Nor has the Acropora "microclados" gone back to its original color; still green at 0% color and brown in "daylight"; no longer does it have its pinkish color. (maybe it's not getting enough light?)

That being said, they are healthier (e.g. the acro is growing, and growing some skin back to skeletal areas), though I attribute much of that to the fact that I'm spot feeding them about three times a week, and that there's much more junk in the tank now.

JohnThomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experiencing my Orange Passion also is very green with some blue, the orange it originally had is entirely gone. Has anyone come to any conclusion with this? Thanks!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experiencing my Orange Passion also is very green with some blue, the orange it originally had is entirely gone. Has anyone come to any conclusion with this? Thanks!
Well what lights are you running and what’s your schedule?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back