Red tuxedo urchin and macro algae

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, All. I'm thinking of getting a red tuxedo urchin and was wondering if it'll eat all my newly planted macro algae. I've got several types I'm trying to grow and don't want them mowed down. It's hard enough to keep the snails and BT tang from munching!

Thoughts? Anything you CAN'T have with tuxes?

Twigg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one in the fuge to help keep it clean. He eats up the the good algae as well. Not a problem if you can grow more than he eats.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there goes my "planted DT" idea...

You could just not get an urchin and stick with macros that the tang won't eat. Codium (monkey finger), calcified macros, certain gracilarias, and others could work. You would figure out what the tang will and won't eat.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just not get an urchin and stick with macros that the tang won't eat. Codium (monkey finger), calcified macros, certain gracilarias, and others could work. You would figure out what the tang will and won't eat.

Already ordered it... I'd been waiting for one. I suppose if he/she starts going after them, I'll move them into my small macro only tank.

Upvote 0
Back