Redecorating

chefbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm new to the reef hobby. I have a 37 gal. with 24lbs. rock. I have a green star, purple people eater and a couple green mushrooms, two clowns and a bi-color angel, last week I added a small marble star and a long tentacle anemone.

I want to put a piece of plexi on the back glass and get 20lbs. more rock and add more sand. Also re-arrange the rocks and be done with that. All my water params are excellent and everyone seems happy (even more happy when they get their metal halide this weekend).

My question is, will it be very detrimental to the livestock to pull the rock out, add more live sand, put the plexi in and add the rock back in plus 20 more lbs.? After this I will have enough rock and be done with decorating, anything going in after that will be coral and maybe a fish or two. Thanks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!

Ok let's see here. What is the plexi glass about?

Next question would be is the extra 20lbs of rock you want to add cycled or from an existing tank?

If the rock is dry or cycled already then it will be ok to add it to the tank for sure. Also instead of adding live sand, just add dry sand and the live rock and sand you have now will seed it plus it will be cheaper.

OP
OP
chefbone

chefbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plexi is to keep from possible scratching or breaking the back glass. Would I have to rinse the dry sand? And I will be buying cycled rock.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rinse the sand to remove the chalky, fine powder. The liverock should be fine out of water for a bit as long as there are no sponges growing on them. The air will kill those.

When you're adding sand or moving the rocks, try not to disturb too much the existing sand. Don't mix the new and old sand with your hands or anything like that. Doing so could start a cycle or worse.

Personally, the plexiglass sounds like overkill. If a rock breaks the back pane of glass by falling backwards, it means the glass was defective or was already under heavy stress (i.e. tank not supported properly). Just a thought.

MR.M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the plexiglass it will give you trouble with stuff geting behind it

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the plexiglass it will give you trouble with stuff geting behind it

+1...just take your time and be carful...I have dropped rock in the bottom of my tank when it was bare bottom and it never broke.

CincyReefer

Happy as a Clam
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch for the mini cycle! You'll most likely end up getting some sort of cycle in your tank if you ever move around that much rock around..

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:misdoubt:
After this I will have enough rock and be done with decorating, anything going in after that will be coral and maybe a fish or two. Thanks.

:haha: Welcome to R2R noobie...but I am ROFL at that last statement...once you become an "oldtimer" at this you will find out the truth of this hobby...You are NEVER done..there is always something to be added or moved or bought or upgraded...we have all been thru it at one time or another. I could open my own store with the things in my basement as a result just a "little tweaking" to the tank. I can't tell you how many countless times I've gone to move a little coral to a new spot and the next thing you know I'm wet to the shoulder on a step stool and 2 hours has gone by...and I don't know where...but I LOVE it. I'm sure you will too!

OP
OP
chefbone

chefbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your informative input, lol Ladipyg your right, after I put in the new rock I moved them around the next day lol. I also had a casualty, my marbled red star was dead four days after:cry:, I don't understand why, my water params have been great and everyone else in the tank seems very happy and eating well.

Last edited:
Back