Redsea AB+ reef energy

helijamal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to purchase Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ ( 4 litre jug) again as i had run out and cannot believe how expensive it is now. I paid $165.00 cdn for it and the last time it was $145.00 CDN. I see now that some stores are charging $189.95 CDN. While i understand that everything has gone up, when do we say that's too much and either find an alternative cheaper option or start to rethink the money spend on our hobby. The reason i bring this up is not because I am complaining but rather would like to hear others opinions on this and also see what other alternatives there are for feeding your corals.

Jesse571

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to purchase Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ ( 4 litre jug) again as i had run out and cannot believe how expensive it is now. I paid $165.00 cdn for it and the last time it was $145.00 CDN. I see now that some stores are charging $189.95 CDN. While i understand that everything has gone up, when do we say that's too much and either find an alternative cheaper option or start to rethink the money spend on our hobby. The reason i bring this up is not because I am complaining but rather would like to hear others opinions on this and also see what other alternatives there are for feeding your corals.
I live in Canada as well and can't believe in the last couple of years how much this hobby has gone up in price! Especially corals!! Something is terribly wrong up North here that prices has jumped so high.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mixture of reef nutrition phyto feast and ab+ every other day. I use half the recommended dose of ab+ with the other half being the phyto feast which is very concentrated. A 1000ml bottle lasts me about 2months dosing a 170 gallon and 80 gallon.

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Canada as well and can't believe in the last couple of years how much this hobby has gone up in price! Especially corals!! Something is terribly wrong up North here that prices has jumped so high.
Buy from hobbyist. I dont buy coral in LFS prices are ridicules. I also took my coral to LFS few times I got $10 and they sell it for $100 no kidding.....

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an experienced reefer pointed out to me, if you already have sufficient nutrients in your system via fish poop fertilizer producing nitrates and phosphate then why do you need to dose supplement aminos? I basically cut out all of my various amino dosing supplements now and the tank is thriving.

P.s. I'll sell you my red sea bottle for 100.

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't believe food like that is at all necessary. Sure you may get slightly better PE/Color but your corals will do fine without provided there are sufficient nutrients available. If you are going to spend the money, I personally have had better luck with aquavitro fuel as well.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing all those type of additives as most tanks really don't need them.

If you're running ULNS as Red Sea try to push, with almost zero Nitrates and Phosphates they may serve a purpose, but most tanks with measurable nutrient parameters don't need them.

They're just fuelling Algae

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with everyone else, you don’t NEED additives. But i also believe my corals have way better color than they did before i started using aminos. Yeah yeah that could be from a lot of different things. I also believe in the old saying- if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I only have experience with Brightwell aminos and AB+ and AB+ is wayyy cheaper than Brightwell! Then again I’m only running a 40g reef so it doesn’t cost too much for me to not use it. But yes, this hobby is getting way out of hand with what people are charging these days! Even IO is getting expensive.

wrathall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using AB+ daily (10ml, 215l tank) for a number of years and found it good for my coral, but have only recently questioned its use due to the algae and high pho levels. My bristle tooth tang takes care of the algae, but my pho remains stubbornly high.

I also use reef roids mixed with some mysis shrimp, twice weekly, for coral feeding.

For all the benefits of AB+, I'm inclined to trial a period of lower dose/frequency and see the impact on coral health.

Will be a nice saving in this expensive hobby, if I reduce usage.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using AB+ daily (10ml, 215l tank) for a number of years and found it good for my coral, but have only recently questioned its use due to the algae and high pho levels. My bristle tooth tang takes care of the algae, but my pho remains stubbornly high.

I also use reef roids mixed with some mysis shrimp, twice weekly, for coral feeding.

For all the benefits of AB+, I'm inclined to trial a period of lower dose/frequency and see the impact on coral health.

Will be a nice saving in this expensive hobby, if I reduce usage.
I stopped dosing anything specifically to feed coral over 18 months ago and can't say I've noticed any difference in growth or coloration.

I'm using less phosphate removal media as the coral are eating the phosphate too.

I'm pretty sure that at least in my case, the coral are getting everything they need nutrition wise from fish waste products together with adequate light.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back