redsea reefer 170... move?

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone ever moved their reefer 170 or any tank I guess. When I say move I mean to put all the corals and fish back into the same time after moving it. My wife wants me to move the 170 and I just tell her it's impossible to do without killing all the livestock and draining the tank.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i was thinking is i would have to put everything into buckets, keep some water to keep the sand good, disconnect the connections under the tank that feed the sump ( which sucks cause the seals are good but nothing is promised after) place the tank onto a table, MOVE the stand, then the tank and refill....

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i was thinking is i would have to put everything into buckets, keep some water to keep the sand good, disconnect the connections under the tank that feed the sump ( which sucks cause the seals are good but nothing is promised after) place the tank onto a table, MOVE the stand, then the tank and refill....
How many gallons is the 170?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did manage to move my 170 from one side of the room to the other by draining the display and the sump. Coral stayed in, wasn't submerged for the move. It all took about half an hour.

How far are you planning on moving it? It can be done alright, just needs proper planning and preparation :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it can as long as you're okay with taking the day off to do it. It took me 2 days to do a tank swap that was going to be in the same place although I did have a goni and some nems that were never the same. Have some bins ready to put livestock into along with a heater and something to aerate while you move it and then put it all back. It's also a good time to do any major changes like replace sandbed, rearrange rocks, etc.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone ever moved their reefer 170 or any tank I guess. When I say move I mean to put all the corals and fish back into the same time after moving it. My wife wants me to move the 170 and I just tell her it's impossible to do without killing all the livestock and draining the tank.
You can move any tank but it's generally always stressful & unpleasant
We are moving 30 miles away next year & I'm dedicating a full day/night just to tanks.
Make it as easy as you can.
Insulated storage boxes, saltwater mixed & heated.
Lots of bags & polystyrene boxes with heat packs.
It will still suck though

Biggie&Dinkles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to move house (renting) with my Reefer 250 a couple of times now, and while a major pain, it's doable and I haven't lost livestock. I have a bunch of buckets, ranging from 20 to 40 litres to get the job done. I have a ute (pickup truck) which helps too.

My tips:
  • Allow the best part of the day to move. Try to get it started in the morning, preferably when an LFS is open nearby in case you break anything important or spill things
  • My missus and I can move the Reefer 250 only just (particularly with stairs etc) any bigger would mean paying for helpers
  • Don't bother keeping sand. Probably likely to release lots of nasties once disturbed. Just buy new sand after you're settled in.
  • Make your scape "modular" or dismantable. I have live rock that's encrusted with lots of SPS, once broken down I can only just fit into buckets
  • Once you've started, try to move quick until you got the tank over to the new place, the livestock back in, and some circulation going in the tank. You can take your time setting everything else up
  • Have maybe 50 extra litres of water already made up on hand just in case

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back