RedSea Reefer 250

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see too much of an issue there. What does your current profile look like? Changing things can be difficult initially, but once you get the basics of the profile setup, its easy to change in fusion. All of the euphyllia look fine, but the sand appears to be a problem. Are you using a fine oolite/sugar sand? Are the pumps tilted towards the water line? With the powerheads in the rear of the tank, there's less distance to disperse the flow and you get more force downwards, which pushes your sand around. Pointing them upwards can eliminate some of that. Also adding a bit of an angle can help as well. Im not sure exactly what the dimensions of the 250 are, but you might be better off with just one of the WAVs.

OP
OP
Napa Reefer

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see too much of an issue there. What does your current profile look like? Changing things can be difficult initially, but once you get the basics of the profile setup, its easy to change in fusion. All of the euphyllia look fine, but the sand appears to be a problem. Are you using a fine oolite/sugar sand? Are the pumps tilted towards the water line? With the powerheads in the rear of the tank, there's less distance to disperse the flow and you get more force downwards, which pushes your sand around. Pointing them upwards can eliminate some of that. Also adding a bit of an angle can help as well. Im not sure exactly what the dimensions of the 250 are, but you might be better off with just one of the WAVs.

I'll have to screen shot my current profile and post it later but I'm running the WAVs at 10% max... and yes I'm completely lost in fusion. I am using Tropic Eden Miniflakes and I have moves both pumps to opposite sides to see how that works. I might just stick to one WAV and one mp10.

OP
OP
Napa Reefer

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running both of them at 4% max

09cb3e07773f1582b1886b2e8ed493a4.jpg

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4%... those pumps must push a lot of water! What did you do with the mp40?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a lot of extra points in there for no real gain. The set points are where you generally change the pump mode. The intensity (%) changes between the points. Meaning at 7:02 your pump is at 2% and at 10:08 you are at 4%, but between those two points, you gain the difference (meaning you go from 2 to 3 to 4% as time goes on). Since your points at 10:08 and 16:26 are the same, theres no need to have both, unless you are starting a ramp down at that time (which you might be).

From what I understand the pulse mode slider is the time in second in which you pump is off and then on. So at the current setting, your pumps are turning on and off every .25 seconds - which is crazy fast and likely battering around your corals since you are getting lots of "wave" action. If you really like the pulse mode, try adjusting the slider to a larger interval (like 5-10 seconds) and see if that calms your flow down a bit. Personally, I like the Malibu setting for a shift in the flow setting, but at a gentler pace. Really, you just have to play with the pump settings and see what the corals look like.

Capture5.JPG

OP
OP
Napa Reefer

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a lot of extra points in there for no real gain. The set points are where you generally change the pump mode. The intensity (%) changes between the points. Meaning at 7:02 your pump is at 2% and at 10:08 you are at 4%, but between those two points, you gain the difference (meaning you go from 2 to 3 to 4% as time goes on). Since your points at 10:08 and 16:26 are the same, theres no need to have both, unless you are starting a ramp down at that time (which you might be).

From what I understand the pulse mode slider is the time in second in which you pump is off and then on. So at the current setting, your pumps are turning on and off every .25 seconds - which is crazy fast and likely battering around your corals since you are getting lots of "wave" action. If you really like the pulse mode, try adjusting the slider to a larger interval (like 5-10 seconds) and see if that calms your flow down a bit. Personally, I like the Malibu setting for a shift in the flow setting, but at a gentler pace. Really, you just have to play with the pump settings and see what the corals look like.

Capture5.JPG

Thanks, I played with the settings and changed a few things... changed the pulse to 10 second intervals and deleted a point

OP
OP
Napa Reefer

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Wednesday I went to my LFS and picked up a small regal and lemon peel angel... I don't have a QT so I was advised to do a 3 minute fresh water dip and I did. It is now Saturday and I haven't seen my angels eat, the lemon peel stated to explore a little but my regal stays in the back .

Well, I also noticed that my regal seems to have white on his back fin... so today I started using PolyLab Medic

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up removing one of the WAV pumps? I'm still on the fence. I plan to run my mp10wqd on the reefer with another pump. Either spend the money and get the mp40wqd and the wxm module or get the 1link and 1 WAV pump. I'd love to have 2 controllable pumps, but it isn't completely necessary.

OP
OP
Napa Reefer

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up removing one of the WAV pumps? I'm still on the fence. I plan to run my mp10wqd on the reefer with another pump. Either spend the money and get the mp40wqd and the wxm module or get the 1link and 1 WAV pump. I'd love to have 2 controllable pumps, but it isn't completely necessary.

Ran the WAVs for a week and then took them off, it was too much flow and was only running them at 4% max. Sand was going all over and irritating my corals.I went back to the mp40 and will be putting the mp10 as well.

OP
OP
Napa Reefer

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, sorry for the losses :( do you think it is just ich or did the LFS offer any insight?

Lost the lemon peel as well, looked like ick, sent pictures to my LFS but no insight yet.

Treating the tank with PolypLab medic.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! Glad I asked, found someone selling some WAV pumps for a good price. I'll pass it and go another direction. Thanks so much for the input!

OP
OP
Napa Reefer

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! Glad I asked, found someone selling some WAV pumps for a good price. I'll pass it and go another direction. Thanks so much for the input!

You welcome! Yeah I also have the WXM module but still need to figure out how to use it! I run two Radions and will be running two Vortechs. I will have sell the WAVS to someone with a bigger tank!

OP
OP
Napa Reefer

Napa Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Parameters Update-

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 2ppm
Phosphate- 0.10 ppm
Calcium- 400
Alkalinity- 7.0
Magnesium- 1400
Salinity- 1.025
pH- 8.0
Temp- 78.5

My goal is to keep alkalinity at 9.0, calcium at 440, and magnesium at 1400.
I still have to install the Neptune DOS so I can dose alkalinity and calcium so I don't worry about having to do it manually.

Stock list-
2- clowns
1- yellow head sleeper goby
1- blue spotted goby
2- fire shrimp
1- emerald crab

Some snails and hermit crabs.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you have your mp10 and mp40 on your tank? Sides or back? I moved my mp10 to the reefer tonight and got my mp40 in the mail today.

Back