Redsea Reefer G2 525XL upgrade!

teethdoctor23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

I’ve been on R2R for a few years now, and joined when I finally made the plunge into saltwater about a year ago. My father owned FOWLR tanks growing up but I always found reef tanks to be so fascinating. My current tank is a Redsea E-Max 170, and it is FULL. My small Biota yellow tang has grown signicantly and I had to give him a bigger home.
IMG_1112.jpeg

So here we are, the new tank. Here’s the equipment list:
2 MP40s
3 Radion XR30 G6
Syncra SDC 6.0 Return pump
Redsea RSK600 skimmer
Sicce 3.0 pump for my UV
AquaUV 25 watt UV sterilizer
600W Titanium heater with Helio controller
Redsea ATO+
IMG_1389.jpeg

Caribsea special grade sand ~90lbs
Aqua forest dry rock ~80lbs
Tropic Marin Syn-biotic Salt

Have about 30-40lbs of established, dark cured live rock in my sump, along with some filter media from a friend’s established tank.

Used Microbacter XLM with ammonia chloride to cycle the tank. Took ~5 days to cycle completely. I attribute this to the live rock in my sump as well as the effectiveness of the salt mix, and brightwell’s products. I continued to dark cycle the tank for about 1 month.

After about 3 weeks I put my clownfish after ensuring my ammonia and nitrite were 0. I have some big stocking plans for this tank! Including a small black longnose tang that will be introduced at the same time as my other zebrasoma tang to minimize aggression, a small powder blue and a small whitetail bristletooth tang. They’ll be joining my longnose hawkfish, foxface rabbitfish, and melanarus wrasse. Very exciting things happening, including a small diatom bloom, as expected.

After going through diatoms, Dino’s, Cyano, and eventually bryopsis/GHA in my previous tank, I welcome the uglies and the challenges to come.

Next month I’ll be establishing my doser and potentially a reefmat later this year to keep my nutrients at decent levels to continuing growing my acros with the large bio-load I anticipate with these larger fish.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to sharing my journey!

OP
OP
teethdoctor23

teethdoctor23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! It’s been about 4 months since I got the tank wet. So here are some updates:

1. I got the tank stocked pretty fast. I started with 2 clownfish and let them hangout for about 3 weeks. After that, I added…get ready…9 fish at once. Including 4 tangs. Checked ammonia daily and didn’t have a single issue. I wouldnt recommend this to most but I knew that the bacteria could handle it. Fast forward a few months and I don’t think I want to add any more fish. Stocking list includes 2 clowns, longnose hawkfish, whitetail tang, yellow tang, black tang, powder blue tang, foxface rabbitfish, melanarus wrasse, possum wrasse, squareback anthia, and my favorite, the moorish idol. Moorish was a pain in the butt to get eating and now he’s put on a ton of weight and he eats anything I throw in the tank including nori. I can answer any questions for people if necessary.

2. I added a reefdose and a reefmat 1200. Has improved my quality of life tremendously.

3. Tank is basically fully stocked with coral from my previous tank and a few new additions. SPS/LPS are growing very well. Lost a couple corals when transferring but most are improving dramatically in color! These radions have proven, so far, to be excellent lights.

4. Coralline algae! And boy, do we have CORALLINE! The tank is covered in it. Here’s the secret, take some coralline scrapings from an established tank, and crush them up. Drop it in your new tank in front of a powerhead, and boom! Magic. That, and stable parameters. I put a couple pictures for people below, being that I started with dry rock and live sand.
IMG_2228.jpeg
IMG_2238.jpeg
IMG_2051.jpeg
IMG_2052.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%

Back