RedSea ReefRun 5500 setting in a Reefer 170

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting my RedSea Reefer 170 setup and have no idea what power % I should run the pump. What % should I set the ReefRun 5500 to?

Any advice is welcomed.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aim for about 5 times water turnover every hour but there's no right or wrong here :upside-down-face: it's a fairly large pump for that tank so start low and ramp up accordingly.

If you want to measure how much flow you get, run the pump for one minute but stick the outlet hose in a bucket in stead and measure.

Use simple math to multiply and measure your hourly rate.

It's a 5500 l/hr pump (theoretically!!) so 20-25% should give you approx. 5x turnover.

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aim for about 5 times water turnover every hour but there's no right or wrong here :upside-down-face: it's a fairly large pump for that tank so start low and ramp up accordingly.

If you want to measure how much flow you get, run the pump for one minute but stick the outlet hose in a bucket in stead and measure.

Use simple math to multiply and measure your hourly rate.

It's a 5500 l/hr pump (theoretically!!) so 20-25% should give you approx. 5x turnover.
It's a real shame that the Sicce range (that GHL & Red Sea use) doesn't have a smaller pump. 2000 l/hr min is fine for a return in smaller tanks, but not so good for some in-sump requirements such as a UV. I also feel that until Red Sea introduce some power bars, sensors and system intelligence, they have only a basic use (which is still fine though in many regards)

An example being a return pump which is auto on but has logic where if a float valve is up, it will allow a switch off of the return pump (either direct via wifi or a power bar).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back