RedSea Refugium prior to skimmer chamber? Why?

MAKeefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Peninsula 650 arriving this week and I'm trying to figure out which side to mount the doors on but this leads to my question, what is the philosophy to have the water flow in the sump go through the refugium first and before the skimmer?

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Peninsula 650 arriving this week and I'm trying to figure out which side to mount the doors on but this leads to my question, what is the philosophy to have the water flow in the sump go through the refugium first and before the skimmer?

There are fine nutrient rich particles the skimmer will pull out prior to going to the Refugium these serve as food for cocopods and amphapods plus help the algae grow. Otherwise the growth will be less productive.

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to being up a dead thread but I’m curious - wouldn’t the skimmer kill a lot of the pods coming out of the refugium before reaching the DT?

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a BRS video that talks about which one should be first. I believe the recommendation in the video was skimmer before refugium, but it was a soft recommendation, with pros and cons for each configuration. Not all of the water passing through the skimmer chamber will be pulled into the skimmer, so it is not going to suck out all the nutrients or all the pods. Bottom line, I don't get the impression that you can go wrong with either configuration.

Edit: here is the video
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...-protein-skimmer-before-or-after-my-refugium/

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back