Reducing Nitrates in Newly Cycled 40B

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -- me again.

My tank finished cycling a few days ago and I did about a 63% WC to reduce nitrates. I tested them again this morning (I'm adding a pair of bonded clowns tomorrow) and they're at 40ppm. Should a 25% water change be significant enough to drop my nitrates down to 20ppm?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -- me again.

My tank finished cycling a few days ago and I did about a 63% WC to reduce nitrates. I tested them again this morning (I'm adding a pair of bonded clowns tomorrow) and they're at 40ppm. Should a 25% water change be significant enough to drop my nitrates down to 20ppm?
A 25% water change will drop it to around 30ppm. There must've been a lot of nitrates in there to still have that much after a big water change!

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25% = 1/4
so if you change 25% of the water, you will be removing 1/4 of the nitrates. So if you are starting at 40 nitrates, you will have 30 after a 25% water change.

Nitrates are not dangerous to your fish. Go ahead and add the fish and then work on getting nitrates down via regular water changes or possible filter/media changes.

good luck!

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly 10% water changed should bring it down. Look into chemi-pure. That’ll help control nutrients.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 25% water change will drop it to around 30ppm. There must've been a lot of nitrates in there to still have that much after a big water change!
They skyrocketed at the end of last week. I had a long nitrite stall prior.

25% = 1/4
so if you change 25% of the water, you will be removing 1/4 of the nitrates. So if you are starting at 40 nitrates, you will have 30 after a 25% water change.

Nitrates are not dangerous to your fish. Go ahead and add the fish and then work on getting nitrates down via regular water changes or possible filter/media changes.

good luck!
Thanks for the math. Haha. My tired brain should be able to divide 40 into four equal parts more than once. Whoops. Feeling extra genius-y today. o_O

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than water changes, do you have any nutrient export or plans for them? E.g. protein skimmer, algae scrubber, macro algae (chaeto.) If you don't, the only way you'll reduce nitrates (without using chemicals) is with water changes.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than water changes, do you have any nutrient export or plans for them? E.g. protein skimmer, algae scrubber, macro algae (chaeto.) If you don't, the only way you'll reduce nitrates (without using chemicals) is with water changes.
I'm looking at HOB protein skimmers and refugiums -- just trying to space out expenses a little bit! I'll be doing weekly water changes in the meanwhile.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back