Reducing Phosphates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jagator31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have undetechable Nitrates. What is a good way to bring phosphates down in this system. I am running the full system.

Last edited:

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphonate? Or you mean po4?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates at now? and what is your alkalinity? You can slowly reduce po4 through calcium phosphate precipitation or faster methods depending on the level your po4 is at.

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a combo of chaetomorpha, seachem seagel, and seachem Purigen. No phosphate issues. I just rotate those three around depending on the dates put in. Chaeto will grow when the media exhausts and not grow when the media is pulling stuff out. Works well for me in my experience.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are at 0.30. ALk is at 8. I have tons of macro.
Wow! Well, one could suggest GFO in this case. But you want to add it slowly. Start with half your system volume per gram of GFO. Once the PO4 gets to a more comfortable level like 0.10 or less, maybe get an algae scrubber. You don't want to deplete all po4 as the nutrients are beneficial.

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an alternative to above post ....I would also look into dosing nitrate , there is an article (can't find it) that talks about relation ship of nitrate and po4 consumption. Meaning po4 is consumed faster when nitrate is present .

I would , 1 get second nitrate test or get LfS to test and make 100% sure nitrate is 0 ,... 2. I would start dosing nitrate ( Home Depot - stump remover) it will support your Macro algue to absorb more po4. I use it sparingly , as I suffer the same issue. I do know user-"diesel" is dosing nitrate for po4 removal pm him for dosing instruction, quantities for help, or post on chemical forum , may will help you there .

Last edited:

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

To answer your original question, you can use either Ultra PowerPhos or Ultra Phos 0,04.

Our 0,04 mix will reduce PO4 levels and maintain it at 0.04mg/L until the media becomes exhausted. As mentioned earlier, having some traces of PO4 is desirable as it is one of the food sources for your coral.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

To answer your original question, you can use either Ultra PowerPhos or Ultra Phos 0,04.

Our 0,04 mix will reduce PO4 levels and maintain it at 0.04mg/L until the media becomes exhausted. As mentioned earlier, having some traces of PO4 is desirable as it is one of the food sources for your coral.

May I ask how does it only remove to .04 and then no more?

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use special mixtures of different types of minerals which allow for the PO4 levels to reduce to and stay at 0.04mg/L.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back