Reducing Silicates (Without GFO?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter tmb22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
It is likely aluminum oxide, like Phosguard or Kent Phosphate sponge, at least based on folks visual descriptions online. I’ve never seen a picture of the media.
 
Just a reminder to folks that Triton and Salifert tests detect different things in the water.

Any actual diatoms in the water tested will give a signal for Si by Triton since its silica structure breaks up in the plasma into silicon atoms, but is not detected by a silicate test.
so how do you test silicates in the water? I have been reading reviews on salifert and most all say undected but red sea has much higher ratings of detecting. What is all this about booster pumps and a not sure which cartridge is the di one.

I have the 4 stage BRS I believe but has 3 canister's and a membrane type filter on top.. I think I bought the pressure gauge but never hooked it up because I mainly just bought it for the tds meter that came with the set.

Hopefully I cant find it now. How does psi effect silicates in rodi water and what can I do to get it out of my rodi water and verify that its gone?

Is there any product besides gfo or purigan phospate removers that get it out of your water? I dont know why some po4 removers say removes silicates and others dont. I asked you if brs gfo did since it dosnt say and you said they are pretty much all the same. I keep hearing rowaphos and two little fishes brand. I just changed mine and also bought a brand new batch and it aint cheap! lol
 
I would not expect Purigen to be useful, but do think GFO and aluminum oxide (such as phosguard) to do so.

I tested silicate years ago with a Hach kit, Model SI-7, catalog number 22550-00.

A second di can help remove silicate. But traces may always be present and are not themselves a cause of pest levels.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new