Are you going to Reef-A-Palooza

• Total voters

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to ask what you guys thought of Reef-A-Palooza, I’ve never been I typically stay to the shows in North and South Carolina being that it’s not too far of a drive and we typically hit the beach when we go. I guess I’m asking is it worth the money to go? I was crunching some numbers off their website and the ‘Ultimate Pass’ is $225!!! Plus $140 a night, plus $30 for car parking, being that is probably drive there and back for my corals sake and the ability to move at will while I’m there.

All in all that’s about $550 before the rising costs of gas. That’s before I spend a single dollar at the actual show... I could probably buy any coral I want there for that price if not less online and have it come to me. Not sure if that’s even worth it being I am a broke college student and that would be pushing my coral budget when I go. I tend to buy higher end corals so I’d be able to get a piece or two maybe. I’ve also heard prices are higher.

At the same time, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen any coral shows and I’m sure there are some unique awesome pieces too. I’d love to experience it and take part in one of the biggest hobby shows that I know of. Plus it’s a 4.5 star hotel and Orlando is dope from last time I was there. Sure the experience would be fun!

Curious if you guys were in my shoes if you’d go, if you are going, and if you want to go etc etc.

Any advice/experience/opinions are gladly appreciated.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off where do you plan on going? to the Chicago one or the Texas one? Personally, I went last year and it was interesting to say the least. I would definitely save my money and buy online instead of going in person, Knowing yours corals could die on the drive back home

OP
OP
PBnJOnWheat

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off where do you plan on going? to the Chicago one or the Texas one? Personally, I went last year and it was interesting to say the least. I would definitely save my money and buy online instead of going in person, Knowing yours corals could die on the drive back home
Orlando in May, I ship corals often and I did Monday and Tuesday this week actually. They arrived fine so I’m not worried too much about that. More so the quality of content and prices for what your getting as far as the actual event!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If judged by the value in terms of coral costs it is not worth it. If judged by coral availability probably not worth it other than seeing it in person. However depending on your personality and of you like being with a huge crowd of other people nuts about coral it can definetely be worth it for the experience.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no Texas RAP.... Cali, Chicago, NY(technically its NJ) and FL

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have gone to everyone of the RAP shows. The shows themselves are awesome, good coral vendors and some equipment vendors. Some shows have better coral vendors then others. I think Cali and FL have the best for coral but thats all a personal opinion. Since going to the shows we've met great people that we call our friends @gcarroll, @ndrwater and many others . At this point we basically go to the shows just to see them and do the raffles. Speaking of which the raffles are always great.

Last edited:

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you went to a show that was not Reefapalooza! There is a competitor that puts on a art/freshwater/saltwater show in Chicago and Texas. Reefapalooza is saltwater only.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to ask what you guys thought of Reef-A-Palooza, I’ve never been I typically stay to the shows in North and South Carolina being that it’s not too far of a drive and we typically hit the beach when we go. I guess I’m asking is it worth the money to go? I was crunching some numbers off their website and the ‘Ultimate Pass’ is $225!!! Plus $140 a night, plus $30 for car parking, being that is probably drive there and back for my corals sake and the ability to move at will while I’m there.

All in all that’s about $550 before the rising costs of gas. That’s before I spend a single dollar at the actual show... I could probably buy any coral I want there for that price if not less online and have it come to me. Not sure if that’s even worth it being I am a broke college student and that would be pushing my coral budget when I go. I tend to buy higher end corals so I’d be able to get a piece or two maybe. I’ve also heard prices are higher.

At the same time, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen any coral shows and I’m sure there are some unique awesome pieces too. I’d love to experience it and take part in one of the biggest hobby shows that I know of. Plus it’s a 4.5 star hotel and Orlando is dope from last time I was there. Sure the experience would be fun!

Curious if you guys were in my shoes if you’d go, if you are going, and if you want to go etc etc.

Any advice/experience/opinions are gladly appreciated.
One thing about shows. It gives you the opportunity to make a side-by-side comparison. If an exhibitor comes to a show with dookie brown corals, he ain’t gonna sell them. You were buying a coral, not a picture. Over the years, I have seen many coral sellers come and go. Only the best do shows like Reefapalooza! Those that don’t......

But, Reefapalooza is more than just a Corals show. It was designed to be a celebration of the hobby. Just a great weekend for reefers to celebrate and share our hobby. In full disclosure, I am part of and currently President of the club who started Reefapalooza so I am a bit biased!

ps: The Caribe Royale is an awesome hotel for the Orlando Show! I am so glad we are back there. Lots of good times at that hotel.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back