Reef addiction is a serious problem

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone else here need a self help group for reef addiction? I can literally sit in front of my reef for hours with some good whiskey and I'm totally relaxed. I love watching the aquatic animals interact. I hate watching TV now. Everything on the news around the world is so depressing for me and I truly fear for my kids future as they grow up but when I sit in front of my tank all my worries disappear and I feel at peace. Of course I'm a Gemini so that may have a part in it or the Glenlivet whiskey but I just spend hours viewing. I don't know why my starfish is upset today and giving me the one finger salute but I will try and make him feel better.

To all the other reef addicts out there, I wish you and your tank well. Some addictions are ok it seems....good night my reefing friends.

20230323_152709.jpg
Group? We'd need a large stadium :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, my wife glances at the tank and swears I'm adding corals but she can't figure it out. I just tell her nope the garden is free standing and growing on its own like a reef does in the ocean. Then I get a side eye look but I maintain my straight face and composure.
That’s funny! My wife has no interest in my tank, not even sure she knows I have one even though it’s in the most used room in the house. I could put a beluga whale in it tomorrow and decades could pass and I wouldn’t here a word!

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny! My wife has no interest in my tank, not even sure she knows I have one even though it’s in the most used room in the house. I could put a beluga whale in it tomorrow and decades could pass and I wouldn’t here a word!
Mines the same way. She's a pisces but she hates fish...go figure....actually she's just jealous of my perfect harmonic relationship I have with my tank probably

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines the same way. She's a pisces but she hates fish...go figure....actually she's just jealous of my perfect harmonic relationship I have with my tank probably
Mine would probably say she's jealous of the patience I have with a reef tank vs people. Haha

Munjy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a wifi cam on my main display so i can see it when im not there. If that's addiction then i don't want to be cured.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh reef addiction is a real thing. When my wife first got me the tank she was a little sticker shocked. But after trips to the lfs and me encouraging her to pick out fish and frags for the tank that she likes, shes all in now. Now its "our" tank. Now if when we have a day off together, we go lfs hopping. We love road trips. Well drive a few hours to a different city, have a nice meal, and hit a few lfs and bargain hunt. Last weekend we hit 5 different LFS in one day. Shes also decided we 1) need a bigger tank bc shes tired of hearing we cant have that fish our tank is too small and 2) we need more tanks bc shes tired of hearing that fish/coral/etc isnt compatible with what we already have.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have owned a saltwater aquarium of some sort since '97. It was always fowlr until '05 when I took my then girlfriend (now wife) to the lfs to show her how vibrantly colored tropical saltwater fish could be. I was tankless at this time because I had just moved back to my home town.

When I got there a small aquarium caught my eye because it had "everything" needed to sustain a coral reef aquarium built in. I was amazed at the thought of what seemed to be an easy to keep reef tank, and went home with a 24g aquapod. My intent was to keep it very simple, and inexpensive. L.OL.!!!! Yeah, not so much. To date I have an reef tank in my living room filled with high(ish) end sps, a bedroom in my house dedicated to aquaculture, and have spent many tens of thousands of dollars (if not more) on my reef addiction.

At this point, it is certainly an addiction for me. I'm as fascinated with the hobby as much today as I was when I first set up that aquapod. I absolutely love it. All things considered, there are definitely far worse things to be addicted to.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh reef addiction is a real thing. When my wife first got me the tank she was a little sticker shocked. But after trips to the lfs and me encouraging her to pick out fish and frags for the tank that she likes, shes all in now. Now its "our" tank. Now if when we have a day off together, we go lfs hopping. We love road trips. Well drive a few hours to a different city, have a nice meal, and hit a few lfs and bargain hunt. Last weekend we hit 5 different LFS in one day. Shes also decided we 1) need a bigger tank bc shes tired of hearing we cant have that fish our tank is too small and 2) we need more tanks bc shes tired of hearing that fish/coral/etc isnt compatible with what we already have.
Sounds like you caught a keeper there...congrats

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve done well. Fully mastered the game.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else here need a self help group for reef addiction? I can literally sit in front of my reef for hours with some good whiskey and I'm totally relaxed. I love watching the aquatic animals interact. I hate watching TV now. Everything on the news around the world is so depressing for me and I truly fear for my kids future as they grow up but when I sit in front of my tank all my worries disappear and I feel at peace. Of course I'm a Gemini so that may have a part in it or the Glenlivet whiskey but I just spend hours viewing. I don't know why my starfish is upset today and giving me the one finger salute but I will try and make him feel better.

To all the other reef addicts out there, I wish you and your tank well. Some addictions are ok it seems....good night my reefing friends.

20230323_152709.jpg
Love it, I bought my tank because I’m expecting a child and prefer to watch the tank with him then be on my phone or on a screen.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back