Reef Angel anyone?

greydmv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been researching Controllers for about two weeks and it seems you can beat the price point and flexibility of the Reef Angel. Does anyone have any feedback?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never used one. What made you choose this one over something like a Digital Aquatics or Neptune Systems controller?

OP
OP
G

greydmv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been researching various Reef Forums, and have only heard issues primarily from MAC issues with the initial setup of the controller. Also the Controller comes with base profiles, however you can write your own code to create your own controls. In addition to the flexibility and the chance for growth, there is a forum dedicated to users to aid in troubleshooting and development of new functionality.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're the least bit tech saavy then the Reef Angel is in my opinion the best controller out there. If your not tech saavy though I wouldn't recommend one (as in you hate computers and find them a pain to do anything on). The abilities/options are nearly endless with the Reef Angel, whatever you can think of for a reef tank, you can make it do, just some things require more programming and maybe some additional (cheap) hardware addons. If you are going to buy a RA controller today though, make sure you get the "Mega" version that Roberto just released, big upgrade going from 32k of memory to work with (which I found very limiting when you want to add a lot of custom features) to 256k. Now that there is more memory to work with there will be even more options opened up to do more crazy things with the controller that no one else is doing (like being the first to release an RF module to control Radion lights and Vortech powerheads and give you more features than they have by themselves, ie. custom flow abilities with the vortechs).

I bought mine in 2010 when I was having so many issues with Digital Aquatics (no support, buggy as hell controller that they refused to release a firmware fix for). I told myself then I would never be left at the mercy of someone else when it comes to having full control over my reef controller. It is so critical that it works as planned, which my RK2 certainly did not. Every power port would randomly stick on at different times, and that is terrible when you have heaters on it, woke up many times to my chiller running all night because of the controller sticking. I am sure controllers today are better than the ReefKeeper 2 I was using, but you are still at the mercy of the Mfg to release fixes/upgrades where as with the reef angel you can do them yourself if you have the knowledge, or you can ask on their forum and 99% of the time if it is a reasonable request someone will write the code for you in a day or 2, it is a super friendly and helpful forum with some amazingly talented people helping out.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some "shopping around" with controllers and there are pros and cons for each of them. My main 3 are Apex, Aquatronica, and Reef Angel and it is a hard decision. They all do what I want them to do, but there is a different level of features to customizability.

One large bonus to the Aquatronica systems is it looks user serviceable so if a relay fries you can just replace it rather than sending it off for repair. The Reef Angel may be the same way but I haven't gotten confirmation on that yet. I know the Apex isn't...

The Reef Angel seems to have an unlimited amount of programming potential, but it may have a little more of a user learning curve to figure it out. While I am not afraid of it, others may be...

The Apex has lots of features and it is very popular. Used parts come up often and it's price point won't break the bank. Programming is near idiot proof but it may not be as flexible as the others...

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a RA a few months ago and I like it. I bought it because I was setting up a nano for my wife and instead of buying a module for my old AC Jr. I just bought me a new controller and gave her that one. I went with the RA because of the flexability and the fact I can make my DIY LEDs do everything the fancy more expensive LEDs can do for faaaar less! Storms, clouds, dim up/down, on/off automatically.... YUP! I can also set my wavemakers by the second not the minute like with my old AC Jr.

Also, I think it has a nice look to it although it is a bigger piece then some of the other display units its not ugly to look at IMO.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following. Curious how people like it. Also curious about the 32k memory, it seems like a ridiculously small amount... Wondering how much you can control with that.

Alkamist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'v heard a lot of good stuff about the Reef Angel im gonna follow along as well, seams like a lot of good info so far.

stevenhman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I really like about my reef angel is no stupid 'special' $20 cables. All the connections are 2 and 3 pin, vga, and usb which you can pick up anywhere in almost any length whenever you need one.

The forum is a great place to get help and there is a program that can write nearly all of the code for you.

My only 'negative' is that the head unit is a bit clunky, but with wifi you never have to see it and can check all your info from the android or iphone app.

Those of you who need more than 10amps will have to get 2 relay units or talk to roberto about a higher amp box (I'm thinking for chillers and bigass return pumps)
posted from my phone - sorry for any errors

sbabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a lot of folks are making the move to the RA. For 220.00 you get a whole lot to start with. 2 float switches, temp sensor, ph probe, 8 outlet power bar. That's a ton compared to what my reefkeeper l3 came with for the same price.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, the basic package does great for the price and is very easy to setup. It also comes with 2 PWM or 0-10v ports in the base package, so you can control either 2 channels of LED lights or 2 tunze powerheads with the 0-10v model. You are able to program the power outlets down to the second, which means you can do dosing with it also.

I went all out on mine and spent quite a bit more. I have the wifi module, pwm module (adds 6 more PWM channels), USB expansion Hub, second power block, dual dosing pumps, moonlights that go with the lunar cycle, and all 3 temp probes. I am planning on getting the "Plus" upgrade for mine next month, which cost $75. With the upgrade I will have spent $660 on it and if I get the RF module to sync my DIY LED lights with my Vortech I will be up to $760 spent on the controller, but boy will it do everything I could ever imagine and I have total control over every aspect.

5708387391_dda5eeb470_z.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%

Back