Reef Aquarist first aid

WandaMay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent all day yesterday rearranging the Rock in my husband's 210 gallon tank. Long story made short we found a bristle worm in a rock, my husband was trying to remove it safely but in a moment of stupidity I decided to try to grab it-thinking I could pinch it between my nails and drop it quickly before it bit me. As I'm sure most of you know already, it wasn't the mouth I needed to worry about and quickly found my finger and thumb covered in Pokey bristles. We removed them with tweezers and now I know like Dory in Finding Nemo we don't touch these things these things, they can hurt you LOL. This morning while researching online I seen some articles that suggested soaking in vinegar for 20 minutes can disintegrate the bristles safely. This got me to thinking, what other first aid should I know before I need it. Obviously there would be some things you should know based upon your inhabitants. I have a dwarf lion in my tank and I know that should I get stuck by his spines I should soak in hot water to reduce the Venom effects. What other creatures can hurt you and what should you do about it. The obvious answer is to wear gloves but I was just wondering if there's another post regarding this or if anybody had any suggestions on things we should all know?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
certain coral can do a lot of damage.. If I put my hands in the tank I always wear gloves. Also if I'm handling coral for a dip or moving it around where it comes out of the water I use safety glasses too.

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***VERY IMPORTANT FIRST AID MESSAGE***
If bitten by clownfish, resist jerking your hand out of the tank and yelping in supprise. If a clownfish teies to bite you, chase it away with your hand. This will deter nemo for 1 second or more, depending on a lot of factors

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benadryl

A print out on palytoxin (in case I have to go in somewhere, or if I am not responsive the family knows about the printout)

Waterproof bandaids (if I work in the tank with open wound)

Tweezers (bristles, vermitid snails)

Peroxide to wash out cuts

Frag glue (or super glue) also works to seal cuts, just make sure it is super clean and you done seal in any bacteria

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duct Tape works well removing bristle. you need not worry about being bitten by a bristle worm, they are incapable of inflicting a bite.
Over the counter triple antibiotic cream is a good item to have on hand.
Good Topic. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back