Reef Aquarium Fact #6 Bubble tip anemones do not need to mate to make babies..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members in the My Miami chalice giveaway thread. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #6

Bubble tip anemones do not need to mate to make babies they split to reproduce.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject?

images

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No,they can reproduce by asexual reproduction,but they can also produce by sexual reproduction.My tank started out with 1 male RBTA and I now have about 4.I have whitnessed all of them but 1 realease sperm or gameats.

I have read on this topic for a long time,and yes,BTAs can reproduce either way,and need to do this.With out doing so,very limited strains would be avaible.

I say False.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is say true with the oh so lawyeristic (I need to take a shower after feeling this way :p ) addition of the word "can". So it'd read "Bubble tip anenomes do not need to mate to make babies, they CAN reproduce by splitting."

Otherwise they'd end up like those female only strains of lizards that reproduce 100% by cloning, and can't remember how they've worked it out biologically that the lack of male-chromosome mutation hasn't resulted in a degridation of the genepool.

I'd recommed for additions to this topic peoples experiences that encourage/decourage the splitting of bubble tips (as some people want splitting, others REALLY don't want their BT's to split.) I've heard with mushrooms, being downstream from a steady flow will encourage "pupping" in the direction the water is flowing towards (downstream.) Have no idea if folks have seen this with anenomes.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat! I love anemones!!! :beauty:

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well let me tAke my best shot here with my experiance with sebae anemones i wanted them to breed to see if it was possible what i found and learned from fellow reefer heads is that it is very plosible to get your nems to breed but you need a chiller and you have to create 3 things, seasonal temp changes, seasonal lighting variations as well as lower winter salinity changes then they'll breed so i would amagine this to be true for all nems

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well let me tAke my best shot here with my experiance with sebae anemones i wanted them to breed to see if it was possible what i found and learned from fellow reefer heads is that it is very plosible to get your nems to breed but you need a chiller and you have to create 3 things, seasonal temp changes, seasonal lighting variations as well as lower winter salinity changes then they'll breed so i would amagine this to be true for all nems

I agree that it needs to be as natural as possible,but by all means,you DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE a chiller,diffirent lights and stuff like that.I have seen several cases where Haddonis spawn,Bubble Tips Spawn,and even Sebaes spawn,and I think I was a Malu that has spawned for Orion over on that other forum.I my self have had these anemones spawn,without doing any of the things you said I need to do.

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i didnt mean different lighting and yes i know you dont need a chiller it just makes it easier malu is the one that spawned first and what i meant by lighting is the lighting cycles how long the lights are on for that type of a deal i was just trying to state if you want your corals to spawn you can coax it with a little work by setting your tank to follow the seasons thats all i have to say i dont mind it when my rosie split cause i always know someone that wants to buy the other half
I think the bigger question here is how to make the bubble stay for the long haul

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
why do some BTA's keep they're "bubbles" and some don't?

This is something I would love to be able to figure out!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you FOR SURE tell if an anemone is a bubble or not?

Unfortunatly,there is no way to tell.I have over the past 2 years come to think it may be as simple as,some bubble and some dont.However,I would love to study this a little bit more,by setting up 6 diffirent tanks with diffirent filtration systems,diffirent lighting,diffirent foods,etc.Then compare it to a RBTA in normal conditions,or more average.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im my opinion, i dont beleive that its that accurate to say that an anemone reproduces by splitting. They split from Stress and splitting if its done as a survival mechanism is a way to increase the chances of survival and nothing more.

Ripping yourself into two pieces as a means of reproduction makes no sense, its sooooooooo stressful and takes so much energy.

As i said this is purely my opinion.

As Austin knows i have to have this disclaimer

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im my opinion, i dont beleive that its that accurate to say that an anemone reproduces by splitting. They split from Stress and splitting if its done as a survival mechanism is a way to increase the chances of survival and nothing more.

Ripping yourself into two pieces as a means of reproduction makes no sense, its sooooooooo stressful and takes so much energy.

As i said this is purely my opinion.

As Austin knows i have to have this disclaimer

Is this true? My GBTA appeared to split as a response to more frequent feeding.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is a healthy anemone and a sharp pair of scissors to make rbta babies. hehe

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had BTA's split and spawn. Here is a photo of my purple with green tip BTA spawning. This same anemone split about 4 months before. There wasnt any new stress that could have brought the event on and the other four BTA's in the tank didnt split or spawn. I also have three RBTA related clones in one tank and they have never split at the same time. One would think that if its stress that brings on a split then all three identical anemones would all respond to it.
anemonespawning.JPG

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different things can trigger a different anemone to split. They are not all the same.

More feeding = more food = more digestion = more energy being used can = stress

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back